Seven Myths are Keeping India and the United States from Pursuing Closer Ties

Vikrant

Gold Member
Apr 20, 2013
The U.S.
There are some valid as well as invalid arguments in this article.

---

For the nonalignment crowd, an alliance with America is akin to a pact with the devil, one lined with costly obligations and emasculating dependency. At every turn they’ve argued that if India were to do X with the United States—sign a civil nuclear deal, purchase U.S. arms, sign a foundational military agreement—it would be reduced to an American lapdog, ceding its sovereignty and agency to Washington politicians. And in every case, their ironclad predictions proved comically wrong.

So, I ask them: What great costs has India borne from its growing partnership with the United States? What, exactly, has India been forced to do against its will and interests as a result of its maturing partnership with the United States? What unholy burden has offset the significant advantages India has gained from advanced military hardware and expertise, international support for its nuclear status, cyber and counterterrorism cooperation, and intelligence-sharing arrangements—all of which have been praised by the Indian security establishment?

Seven Myths are Keeping India and the United States from Pursuing Closer Ties

Last edited:
There's been rumors in the US that the Senator from Punjab may try to rig the US presidential election again in 2020.

There's been rumors in the US that the Senator from Punjab may try to rig the US presidential election again in 2020.

I am trying to make sense of your post. I have been away from geopolitics for some time now so I may be a bit rusty at the moment.

Forum List

Back