Senator Tuberville Says He's Dening Blockade of MostMilitary Nominees, Clearing Way For Hundreds To Be Approved.

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 2022
My Happyi Place
WASHINGTON (AP) — Sen. Tommy Tuberville announced Tuesday that he’s ending his blockade of hundreds of military promotions, following heavy criticism from many of his colleagues about the toll it was taking on military families and clearing the way for hundreds of nominations to be approved soon.

Tuberville’s blockade of military promotions was over a dispute about a Pentagon abortion policy. The Alabama Republican said Tuesday he’s “not going to hold the promotions of these people any longer.” He said holds would continue, however, for about 11 of the highest-ranking military officers, those who would be promoted to what he described as the four-star level or above.

Majority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., said a vote on the nominations could come quickly, possibly even in the afternoon.

Sen Tubberville

1701810234403.gif

Amazing that one nut can have this much control.

I can't decide what's worse, that Tuberville has been doing this in the first place, or the fact that Schumer was too weak to pull out the nuclear option to end it after all the talk about how damaging it has been to our military readiness.

Update...hundreds confirmed--still blocking the 4-star generals...still acting the asshat~

Hundreds of military nominees were confirmed unanimously on the Senate floor Tuesday just hours after Alabama's Tommy Tuberville announced he was ending his hold on most promotions.
It took just a matter of minutes to push more than 400 nominees through -- a long-awaited breakthrough after Tuberville's 10-month blockade over the Pentagon's abortion policies.
Jack Reed, D-R.I., the chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee, said on social media that the official number of confirmations was 425.
Tuberville, a Republican, earlier Tuesday told reporters he was lifting his hold on all positions except for four-star generals, clearing the way for many of stalled military appointments to be confirmed en bloc.

"I'm releasing everybody -- I've still got a hold on, I think, 11 four-star generals. Everybody else is completely released from me," Tuberville said. "Other than that, it's over."

Forum List

Back