Sen. Rockefeller: FCC Should Take FOX News, MSNBC Off Airwaves

Art is 100% correct.

And there seems to be a lot of people on here who are attributing positions to him which he did not advocate.

So does talk radio the the entire CMSM. It doesn't change my opinion of what the 24 hour cable news stations bring to the table ... garbage.

But, I assume you will defend their right to bring that garbage to the table. Right?

They certainly have the right to but it doesn't make them right or right for us.

Obama knows best. He has to protect his flock from unvarnished "news" from subersives

They certainly have the right to but it doesn't make them right or right for us.

Us? What? Did someone die and put you in charge of what other people are allowed to watch?

It may come as a shock to you - as a lefty - but.... there is this technology whereby you can change a channel to find a station more suitable to your requirements. Use it. Stop trying to silence those whose opinions you disagree with.

Did you read my post earlier in the thread where I said I have long since changed the channel?

And as to your last line please read post #28 and take your foot out of your mouth.
If you've changed the channel, then quit your bitchin'.

Your "liberal male feminine itch" flarin' up today?......Ya' seem to be a lil' irritated......Go apply the gynolotrimin and sooth the irritation.

Hey here's a radical fucking idea!

If you don't like 24 hours news, don't fucking watch it! Spend time doing something more useful like trying to suck your own dick!

Does the FCC have jurisdiction over cable stations? They do over broadcast stations, but cable is not using the airways. That is why the quality of programming has gone downhill so much--you can use any language or show anything without the government getting involved. So I don't believe they would have any say over political leaning stations.

In theory they have the same jurisdiction over cable they do over broadcast. They want to take control over the internet, and that certainly has nothing to do with their original charter.
As I understand it, the only reason they had control over the airwaves was because they were the "public airwaves"--i.e., they belonged to the public. For that reason they took control over the use of airwaves by radio and television broadcasters.

Cable is not "public". That is why I question that they have any control over programming at all.

One problem a person has with any news outlet is its biased views, no matter which one a person watches. I remember with one broadcast from Walter Cronkite the Viet Nam War came to an end. Who's right, and who's wrong? The problem I would find is who makes that decision.
Having said this, I for one, am against any newscast being 86'd.

Art is 100% correct.

And there seems to be a lot of people on here who are attributing positions to him which he did not advocate.

After reading about a politician calling for the FCC to take entire stations off the air because he does not like their content a normal persons first reaction should be "Fuck NO!", not "He has a point." That makes Art wrong, and you also, even if you could prove that the 24 hour news cycle makes us worse off, which you cannot.

Does the FCC have jurisdiction over cable stations? They do over broadcast stations, but cable is not using the airways. That is why the quality of programming has gone downhill so much--you can use any language or show anything without the government getting involved. So I don't believe they would have any say over political leaning stations.

In theory they have the same jurisdiction over cable they do over broadcast. They want to take control over the internet, and that certainly has nothing to do with their original charter.
As I understand it, the only reason they had control over the airwaves was because they were the "public airwaves"--i.e., they belonged to the public. For that reason they took control over the use of airwaves by radio and television broadcasters.

Cable is not "public". That is why I question that they have any control over programming at all.

I totally agree with you, but cable providers are required to give equal access to anyone who requests it. Try watching some public access channels if you want to live in horror, but don't say I didn't warn you.

The news channels have turned into a 24 hour cycle of pundit, op-ed, telling us how to think, bonanza. I haven't watched the news in 10 years, prefer reading the internet and perusing over several articles on the same subject to formulate my opinion......however, I DO NOT AGREE with shutting down or stifling speech.....never.

Art is 100% correct.

After reading about a politician calling for the FCC to take entire stations off the air because he does not like their content a normal persons first reaction should be "Fuck NO!", not "He has a point." That makes Art wrong, and you also, even if you could prove that the 24 hour news cycle makes us worse off, which you cannot.

No one said that Rockefeller had a point.

Art even said that he didn't even bother to watch the video. Neither did I. Art's point is a standalone one. And is correct.

Why not let the people decide what the deal is,I watch MSNBC just to see what the enemy is up to.I watch
Fox to get the right's perspective which I feel reflects the way I feel about things.Whatever happened to our right to view or to listen to what we the people like.You don't like the show change it or shut the TV off.

Art is 100% correct.

Art even said that he didn't even bother to watch the video. Neither did I. Art's point is a standalone one. And is correct.

He agrees that those stations should be off the air, so do you, that means you both think that idiot has a point. Just because he is willing to use the government, and you claim you are not willing to, does not make you right. I think there are a bunch of idiots out there, but the fact is we are better off with them than without them. they keep idiots in the government from getting away with things like this, if nothing else.

That makes you, Art, and the Senator, wrong.

He agrees that those stations should be off the air, so do you, that means you both think that idiot has a point. Just because he is willing to use the government, and you claim you are not willing to, does not make you right. I think there are a bunch of idiots out there, but the fact is we are better off with them than without them. they keep idiots in the government from getting away with things like this, if nothing else.

Which means that you think that keeping people divided by spreading lies and misinformation is a good thing.

Your choice I guess.

The only idiot is you, Windbag. You and your complete lack of reading comprehension.

Us? What? Did someone die and put you in charge of what other people are allowed to watch?

It may come as a shock to you - as a lefty - but.... there is this technology whereby you can change a channel to find a station more suitable to your requirements. Use it. Stop trying to silence those whose opinions you disagree with.

Did you read my post earlier in the thread where I said I have long since changed the channel?

And as to your last line please read post #28 and take your foot out of your mouth.
If you've changed the channel, then quit your bitchin'.

Your "liberal male feminine itch" flarin' up today?......Ya' seem to be a lil' irritated......Go apply the gynolotrimin and sooth the irritation.

How about you go call some gay vets "dishonorable liars," tough guy? You're a disgrace to the uniform, clown.

FOXNews, MSNBC, and the 24 hour news cycle are a big reason why this country is spiraling the drain. The country would be better off without them.

Absolute BULLSHIT. Until Fox showed up NONE of the news organizations cared one whit about a Conservative view and openly tailored their programs and reporting on the left end of the spectrum. Get rid of Fox and the rest will return to one sided reporting.

Unfucking believable that you dumb asses advocate censorship because you can not compete. Allow that and you can kiss a free press goodbye.

Please. Are you still living in a fantasy land where FOXNews is the only voice for conservatives in the media? GMAFB

FOXNews and MSNBC have a vested interest in keeping Americans constantly outraged and keeping the partisan divide in this nation as wide as possible. They are not the "free press" they are a perversion of what the free press once was.

and cbs abc nbc cnn don't? you really must be kidding.

Doesn't matter if it is equal opportunity tyranny. No government official should be allowed to tell us what to think. We can be as smart as Sheldon Cooper or as dumb as Rdean, that is our right.

the whole point to the US is we do our own thinking. We may not all do it all that well, but freedom is what we are.

Absolute BULLSHIT. Until Fox showed up NONE of the news organizations cared one whit about a Conservative view and openly tailored their programs and reporting on the left end of the spectrum. Get rid of Fox and the rest will return to one sided reporting.

Unfucking believable that you dumb asses advocate censorship because you can not compete. Allow that and you can kiss a free press goodbye.

Please. Are you still living in a fantasy land where FOXNews is the only voice for conservatives in the media? GMAFB

FOXNews and MSNBC have a vested interest in keeping Americans constantly outraged and keeping the partisan divide in this nation as wide as possible. They are not the "free press" they are a perversion of what the free press once was.

He knows that,he is just throwing MSNBC under the bus to make it look more fair...when he offers up FOX :lol:

No, I'm not. Those networks are not the same animal that FOXNews and MSNBC are.

Sans CNN none of the networks you mentioned are 24 hours a day of partisan commentary/propaganda.

Forum List

Back