Selling on Amazon

Sep 14, 2011
I'm working today to get more listed on Amazon and wonder if any of you sell there. We used to sell on ebay but its just too rinky-dink and its hard to make much profit. Amazon is, imo, much better.

Anyone else?

I never considered Amazon for sales before. I used to sell a few things on eBay but they got too expensive, and it was a hassle.

It too me a while to finally try it and have gotten a lot of sales. The more sales I get, the more I want to list. ebay is a hassle and people don't want to pay what stuff is worth.

Well, I guess this makes two that I know of who are on Ludd's ignore.

Sowwy I wasn't here to hode your widdle hand but the thread was deleted by mods and then reinstated. If you want to know why, you'll have to talk to them.

I tried to sell a couple of very collectible books on Amazon and posted a reasonable price but no takers.

I just sold a first edition Damon Runyon for big bucks. You might want to try it again. Or not.

The way I see it, considering the millions of people who buy from Amazon, the chance that someone will want something I have is pretty high.

I never considered Amazon for sales before. I used to sell a few things on eBay but they got too expensive, and it was a hassle.

It too me a while to finally try it and have gotten a lot of sales. The more sales I get, the more I want to list. ebay is a hassle and people don't want to pay what stuff is worth.

Well, I guess this makes two that I know of who are on Ludd's ignore.

Sowwy I wasn't here to hode your widdle hand but the thread was deleted by mods and then reinstated. If you want to know why, you'll have to talk to them.

I tried to sell a couple of very collectible books on Amazon and posted a reasonable price but no takers.

I just sold a first edition Damon Runyon for big bucks. You might want to try it again. Or not.

The way I see it, considering the millions of people who buy from Amazon, the chance that someone will want something I have is pretty high.

I have a 1st edition of Hemingway "For whom the bell tolls" (fair condition no DJ) and couldn't get $100 for it. The problem with Amazon is that you have to list the price. They don't get to bid on it like Ebay. A funny story about Ebay is that I listed a rare and collectible book called "The Clansman" pub 1905. It was the basis for the movie "The Birth of a Nation". Ebay kicked it off the listing because they considered it racist because of the KKK association. I asked them if they advocated book burnings of 100 year old books and they relented but I took it off the board anyway.

A first edition, fair cond, no DJ is worthless. Sad but true. The reason I did so well with the Damon Runyon is that it looked new, including the dust jacket.

You might try listing The Clansman on Amazon but if its not pristine, you probably won't get much.

Three categories of collectibles that always do well are anything having to do with the old south and racism, cigarette or other smoking stuff and authentic cowboy/old west memorabilia. There are others but that's what comes to mind and what I've had good luck with.

I had a coffee mug and a new, still wrapped deck of cards that had anti-smoking cartoon images of animals with cigarettes in their mouths and they said something like "you look just as stupid when you do it" on them and got $90 for both. I have a perfect copy of Little Black Sambo that I haven't offered yet but I expect to get a good price for it. Its at the other house so I won't know until I'm back there and can get it listed.

What's key is to find things that others haven't collected. Examples - Barbie stuff is so common, you can't get much for it. Or, the little stuffed toys that were so big for a while - everyone has piles of them so they're worthless.

Its a fun hobby and it gets me a few bucks.

I agree, Amazon is several levels better than eBay.
I have sold about...oh...15 or so items on Amazon and purchased at least that many including a convection oven.
Amazon acts more like a consignment reseller than just a guy in the middle taking a percentage of the cut. I use to use eBay a lot. But after getting ripped off a couple times, my PayPal account hacked - I switched to Amazon and have been far happier ever since.

What's with PayPal? They've never been very convenient but they've been really slow lately. I don't use them very much but bought some stuff on ebay and it took forever for them to pay. I checked with my bank and it was days after the bank paid that PayPal paid.

And, they said it would be X number of business days. Why? computers don't care what day of the week it is.

Forum List

Back