Selling my M-1 Garand

PredFan

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2011
In Liberal minds, rent free.
I'm considering selling my M-1. I saw one for sale at a gun show for $1,100. Even though my serial numbers don't all match I'm going to try to get at least $1,200 for mine. It has the stock bayonet and the original tool kit.

If I can get that much, I'm going to purchase two guns; the AK-47, and the Mossberg 500 Chainsaw. Even though I like my Garand a lot, I like the idea of getting two guns for it.

LOL - you wont get $300 if it does not have the right numbers on it. I have one just like that.

The one at the gun show didn't have matching numbers and they were asking $1,100.00

People can ASK whatever they want. Big difference between getting it! And, for the record, Garand's don't have matching serial numbers, that is a trait of European firearms (mainly German), instead they have bin and contract numbers on the various sub assemblies that need to be within certain ranges and contractors to be correct for the weapon based on it's manufacturer and serial number which can be used to determine WWII originality. Most Garand's wen through an arsenal rebuild in 1947 so finding a WWII ORIGINAL Garand is difficult (and expensive), that is where the value comes in.

Who made yours and what is the serial number?

That gun show I saw the rifle at was one of the biggest of the year. Although they had hundreds and hundreds of guns, rifles, etc., there was only one M-1 Garand there.

That gun show I saw the rifle at was one of the biggest of the year. Although they had hundreds and hundreds of guns, rifles, etc., there was only one M-1 Garand there.

Where do you live? At my local gunshow there will be no fewer than 30 to 40 at the Big Reno Show, and even the smaller shows there will be at least 3 or 4.

Where do you live? At my local gunshow there will be no fewer than 30 to 40 at the Big Reno Show, and even the smaller shows there will be at least 3 or 4.

Good thing I won't try to sell it in Reno.

I would keep the Garand. I'd rather have what Gen. Patton described as "the greatest battle implement ever devised" than an AK and a pump shotgun with a gimmick added.

I would keep the Garand. I'd rather have what Gen. Patton described as "the greatest battle implement ever devised" than an AK and a pump shotgun with a gimmick added.

I love the Garand and I don't take selling it lightly. OTOH, it is expensive to shoot especially as compared to the AK and other weapons such as the AR. And hey, I like the gimmick. It makes it so evil looking that I can hear Diane Feinstein screaming in terror from here.

I love the Garand and I don't take selling it lightly. OTOH, it is expensive to shoot especially as compared to the AK and other weapons such as the AR. And hey, I like the gimmick. It makes it so evil looking that I can hear Diane Feinstein screaming in terror from here.

Yeah, I understand that it isn't cheap to shoot. I have the same problem with my Springfield M1A.

I tried a pistol grip on my shotgun. I couldn't hit well enough with it. But you're right, the chainsaw is a badass looking shotgun. I wanted one of the Rossi Ranch Hand pistols. But after I tried shooting it I just couldn't justify spending money on something that difficult to shoot accurately.

I'd sure hate to see you give up your Garand. Your choice of an AK-47 and a Mossberg is a good one and it must fit your situation. Are you in a city, suburban or rural area?

A Garand is superb on the range and in an emergency. If the crap ever hits the fan, a Garand can keep the bad guys real far away with a clear field of fire. Your AK-47 and shotgun make good "goal keepers".

You know what's best for your situation. I'm afraid you're going to regret giving up your Garand one day.

The 30-06 is a lot of power to trade for a 7.62x39. The 30.06 leaves the Garand at 2700 feet per second with 2660 foot pounds of energy. 1000 yards later, it's still flying at 1400 FPS delivering 733 FPE.

Just say'in. :drillsergeant:

h019CD0EF

Prices always vary. I have sold books and board war games as a hobby for years.

The only rule that counts: the price is what a buyer will pay.

So, yes, post at $1100 and see what happens.

Yeah, I understand that it isn't cheap to shoot. I have the same problem with my Springfield M1A.

I tried a pistol grip on my shotgun. I couldn't hit well enough with it. But you're right, the chainsaw is a badass looking shotgun. I wanted one of the Rossi Ranch Hand pistols. But after I tried shooting it I just couldn't justify spending money on something that difficult to shoot accurately.

A couple of people made points here that the Garand wasn't worth as much as I thought. I'm still looking into that. I have seen them on sale in internet sites for at least $900

If I can't get at least that for mine then I probably won't sell it.

I'd sure hate to see you give up your Garand. Your choice of an AK-47 and a Mossberg is a good one and it must fit your situation. Are you in a city, suburban or rural area?

Suburban Orlando, Florida

A Garand is superb on the range and in an emergency. If the crap ever hits the fan, a Garand can keep the bad guys real far away with a clear field of fire. Your AK-47 and shotgun make good "goal keepers".

Agreed. I love strolling over to the 500 yard range almost by myself.

You know what's best for your situation. I'm afraid you're going to regret giving up your Garand one day.

No doubt. That's why I take selling it seriously. I wish I could keep it and buy the other two outright.

Thanks for that.

I'm considering selling my M-1. I saw one for sale at a gun show for $1,100. Even though my serial numbers don't all match I'm going to try to get at least $1,200 for mine. It has the stock bayonet and the original tool kit.

If I can get that much, I'm going to purchase two guns; the AK-47, and the Mossberg 500 Chainsaw. Even though I like my Garand a lot, I like the idea of getting two guns for it.

keep it

it has more value to you then what you would get

with mismatched serial numbers

LOL - you wont get $300 if it does not have the right numbers on it. I have one just like that.

The one at the gun show didn't have matching numbers and they were asking $1,100.00

asking and getting are two different cats

I know, what you and others say is true, but.....there is a ban on importing them and that might make people eager to get one. I'm not selling it tomorrow so I've got time to mull it over. The input is appreciated from all parties.

asking and getting are two different cats

I know, what you and others say is true, but.....there is a ban on importing them and that might make people eager to get one. I'm not selling it tomorrow so I've got time to mull it over. The input is appreciated from all parties.

I was think about the comparison between the AK and the Garand.

One thing to consider about your rifle is the range and accuracy. While it is a bit more expensive to shoot, you do not need as many shots to do the job. I am a big fan of rifles that shoot accurately at fairly long range and hit hard. The 30-06 does both.

The Garand was state of the art 70 years ago. Now, not so much.

Forum List

Back