Seles-Graf [1992!]

Abishai100

VIP Member
Sep 22, 2013
The amazing 1992 French Open (women's singles) tennis tournament saw the climactic final-game revealing the greatness of the timeless Graf-Seles rivalry, which had replaced the once-domination of German phenom-titan Steffi Graf who until now was simply steamrolling over every single opponent and making women's tennis all too predictable now. Monica Seles was the 'wizard-woman' who'd given the women's tennis field a special intrigue it had been lacking because of Graf's domination. This is what made this 1992 Roland-Garros final game worthy of a literary recount! Enjoy,

====

Now, I've been a tennis-TV fan for some time now, watching the Wimbledon Final (Stich-Becker) while I'd been visiting London with my nuclear-family and actually going to the stadium for family photos! However, this was not as 'cool' as the 1992 French Open final between upstart Monica Seles and titan Steffi Graf. Now, Seles splashed onto the women's tennis scene as the welcomed celebrity who effectively ended Graf's domination by providing steady competitiveness and restoring a balance in the women's sport, which I love and inspires me to think of Seles-portraits (arguably inspired by their greatest match in their rivalry which ended in a epic 6-2, 3-6, 10-8 win by Seles).

seles4.jpg

Of course, such a champion's game wouldn't erase the mystique of a titan like Steffi Graf, since of course, she'd become the indomitable legend in women's tennis which would 'require' a serious upstart to finally challenge the likes of her, a German superstar of unforgettable potency, yeah.

seles6.jpg

The epic match which went to a full 3-sets and a 3rd set of a very long and saga-like 10-8 ending will be cast by sports-writers/fans/mystics as the 'revelation' of women's sports that can't be topped by any other single moment in women's sports history without doubt. Roland-Garros was 'graced' temporarily by the immaculate reception of a women's sports moment in history that I can't forget (despite being male).

seles1.jpg

I've been writing Sherlock Holmes like stories, some about stalkers being tracked by wily/valiant vigilantes or detectives and revealing a special civilization fascination with the protection of civil securities in urban settings, casting detective, vigilantes, and villains in a special magic-light, especially when these 'characters' seek to protect/rescue damsels-in-distress and become 'advocates' of gender-sanity in society!

viv0.jpg

However, the 1992 Seles-Graf French Open (Roland-Garros) championship moment will inspire me to think a great deal of the 'field' of women in competitive 'action' and skill, sports risen to the level of 'human' greatness because of the excellence of the modern broadcast-era, when global audiences are invited into the 'experience' of shared dreams. Sports had already become, after all, a triumph of media-dance!

agency5.jpg

Now, I remember watching Graf defeat anyone who even thought of challenging her, and I think just one of her opponents managed to even grab a single set during a Grand Slam final despite eventually losing anyways. However, when Monica Seles splashed into women's tennis, there was something truly 'gifted' now in women's tennis (and all of sports!) which was lost/darkened --- unpredictable intrigue/fantasy. This was media-era storytelling for women-in-sports that reminded everyone of the 'value' of designed conversations.

seles2.jpg

Why wouldn't you want to collect Google-search images of Seles hoisting the French trophy eventually and reminding everyone why women-in-sports would reflect a civilization focus on the 'magic' of media-era (shared!) dollars?

seles3.jpg

The Graf-Seles rivalry would no doubt offer us more and previous 'moments' in women's sports dance/spirits, but it was this epic 3-set 'French masterpiece' that would offer the world the great toast to women's tennis/sports with the loud declaration (arguably), "Women in sports can reflect humans in drama."

seles5.jpg

If you're looking for a sports-video Blu-ray gift this Christmas as a gift for your kids who're into sports/tennis, look no further if you're able to find a copy/recording of the 'iconic' 1992 French Open championship (Seles-Graf) which will remind everyone of the simple 'art' of shared imaginations about accessed fantasies/daydreams in this age of 'shopping' detentions.

doodles4.jpg

I have this terrible dark side to my personality, which playing tennis keeps at bay (Monica Seles).

====

"Money is everything" (Ecclesiastes)

Forum List

Back