SEC Loses-SEC Cries-NCAA proposes new rule to help SEC

Truthseeker420

Gold Member
Mar 30, 2011
Home of the 2013 BCS National Champion
The NCAA is proposing a new rule that would allow defenses to substitute in between plays against teams that run high-tempo, no-huddle offenses.

The new rule would prohibit teams from snapping the ball before there were 29 seconds on the play clock. The play clock last 40 seconds.

Although many teams play at a fast pace these days, getting plays off within 10 seconds is not very common.

That hasn’t stopped the most high-profile coach in the country, Alabama Crimson Tide Head Coach Nick Saban and another SEC coach, Arkansas Razorbacks‘ Head Coach Bret Bielema from voicing their concerns over quick tempos because of “player safety.”

“Coach Saban asked for the opportunity to meet with the committee and talk about this,” NCAA coordinator of officials Rogers Redding told the Associated Press. “It’s not routine, but it’s not unique, either.”

Other coaches, like Oklahoma State Cowboys‘ Head Coach Mike Gundy, have spoken out against the rule.

Even if the rule is passed, it doesn’t seem like it will make much of a difference.

Nick Saban, Bret Bielema back no-huddle rule change - FanSided - Sports News, Entertainment, Lifestyle & Technology - 240+ Sites

No input from other coaches, no study to support their idiotic assertion.

This assertion by Saban is not a result of the SEC losing the BCS Championship. In fact, Saban first voiced his opinion on this during a season in which Bama won the championship.

What if your down by 2 touchdowns with 5 minutes left in the game? Can't run the hurry up? Player Safety? Saban would break his grandmothers leg if it meant another championship.

What if your down by 2 touchdowns with 5 minutes left in the game? Can't run the hurry up? Player Safety? Saban would break his grandmothers leg if it meant another championship.

I believe the restrictions are less at the end of each half. Not sure about that.

Now, as far as Saban goes, do you have any actual evidence that he is so cruel, or is it just hate for a winner?

I believe the restrictions are less at the end of each half. Not sure about that.

Now, as far as Saban goes, do you have any actual evidence that he is so cruel, or is it just hate for a winner?

only during the last two minutes.

This assertion by Saban is not a result of the SEC losing the BCS Championship. In fact, Saban first voiced his opinion on this during a season in which Bama won the championship.

I'm sure Saban has always disliked the hurry up, I'm saying the rule change is a result of the SEC losing.

I don't see it. I see some issues with the rules, but I can't see the NCAA changing them just because one conference loses a few games. And I certainly can't see them changing the rules over one game.

Maybe it is time to start a new collegiate organization that encompases the reality of living and playing sports in the year 2014.

Favoring the rich vs the comon people and favoring one school over all of the others in establishing new rules might push colleges to decide if they want to promote the NCAA any longer or band together a new authority that spreads the wealth a lot more fairly.

A new and inclusive collegiate sports authority could blow away the NCAA by allowing the payment or assistance of players that are financially strapped for one thing. The NEW sports authority could start with a true playoff system in football. There are several fan based desires that the NCAA ignores. If you ask me it wouldn't be that hard to arrange a new league. They do it all of the time when it suits "special" teams interests in the NCAA. The PAC 12 has gone through several incarnations and if somebody had asked the University of Washington's allumni or fans these changes would have been rejected.

Once it is clear that the NCAA gives special consideration to coaches like Saban perhaps it is time for the "lesser" colleges to band together to upgrade their schools desirability from the best athletes by offering what the NCAA refuses.

The NFL has evolved into two equal conferences under one authority from two seperate organizations.

There is also the issue of player insurance against injury that the NCAA ignores. There are many serious issues that could if promoted to the more enlightened colleges create the bedrock foundation of a new competing collegiate sports authority that could grab the players, attention and money that coaches like Saben wrongfully think is their private domain.

Last edited:

I'm sure Saban has always disliked the hurry up, I'm saying the rule change is a result of the SEC losing.

Yeah, Saban has not been quiet about his dislike of the hurry up. But he has also handled it pretty well.

I had someone make the claim that auburn's hurry up beat Bama. That simply was not the case. Our defense last season was questionable all year, and the aubs didn't exploit it that much. Hell, a few penalties and bad play calling did more harm.

I think one thing that would blow a hole in the SEC and make competition more evenly split is a rule that says a team can only play teams in their own division. Playing teams like FAM(ily) U and Beth Cook(ing) school would put the SEC conference in a position that they have to play real football teams.

I think one thing that would blow a hole in the SEC and make competition more evenly split is a rule that says a team can only play teams in their own division. Playing teams like FAM(ily) U and Beth Cook(ing) school would put the SEC conference in a position that they have to play real football teams.

Right, because only SEC teams have cupcakes on their schedules. lmao

Yeah, the SEC teams should have the balls to play real football teams, like Ohio State did last year. You know, powerhouses like Buffalo, San Diego State, and Purdue.

Or maybe like those monsters on Florida State's schedule?? Like those perennial powerhouse teams of Bethune-Cookman, Nevad and Idaho?

This is the same old nonsense. If your theory were true, how come the SEC teams blew out the competition in the BCS Championship Bowl? (well, except for those aubbies)

Notre Dame was supposed to be the best team in decades. They looked pretty sad when Bama got finished. Ohio State was talked about like they should have just been handed the crystal trophy. Then Florida humiliated them.

I wish I could see your point...but I can't for some reason.
If you noticed I said, and I quote " ...rule that says a team can only play teams in their own division". No where did I say only the SEC?

Purdue is in the same athletic conference (Big10) as Ohio State or did I miss something here.

I am sure after one of the worst season for the SEC they will find some other D-II teams to play so they can pad their records and impress the East Coast sports writers.

I wish I could see your point...but I can't for some reason.
If you noticed I said, and I quote " ...rule that says a team can only play teams in their own division". No where did I say only the SEC?

Purdue is in the same athletic conference (Big10) as Ohio State or did I miss something here.

I am sure after one of the worst season for the SEC they will find some other D-II teams to play so they can pad their records and impress the East Coast sports writers.

Well, you started out by talking about how to "blow a hole in the SEC". So if you were also critiquing the other conferences it was certainly not apparent.

Now, as for scheduling cupcakes, the division is not really relevant. There have been D-II teams that have knocked off major teams, so it is not always a guarantee that it is a win.

And the fact that major teams schedule weak teams is part of the game. Until the entire conference is a major player, the teams like Purdue or Buffalo will still be cupcakes.

Oh, and I love that you refer to this season as "one of the worst for the SEC".

According to the final AP poll, there were 4 SEC Teams in the top 10, and 7 teams in the top 25. Not bad for a "worst year". lol

BTW, the BCS had 2 out of the top 3 teams from the SEC, 4 in the top 10, and 7 in the top 25.

At the risk of being called a rascist I have observed in my travels which were heavily concentrated in the South and Southeast portions of the country after I reached the age of around 25 that the more athletic African Americans were concentrated to a higher degree in areas 200 years ago would have been slave holding states. Before 25 nearly all of my travels and experience was in the Pacific Northwest and some time spent on the West Coast of our country.

It is just my opinion and observations that it will probably take another 200 years before the strain of humans that were those culled to work fields and their immediate decendants have physical characteristics that lend themselves to our most popular national sports.

It's no secret that the african americans and those of that original group called slaves have excelled in a variety of physical skills moreso than caucasians.

There is still a very high population density of the product of the time of slavery in the Souteast and along the East coast up through The Virginias.

One would reasonably expect that at least for the forseeable future..surely in my lifetime that a higher percentage of gifted(inherited) athletic skill will be coming from a gene pool where the strongest survived and the weakest eliminated.

As such is the case the argument that the SEC has the better athletes and therefore better teams in Basketball and Football is mute.

Excellent athletes can and will be drawn from other parts of the country but statistics and averages do not lie.

I suppose one could REALLY be called a rascist and go so far as to say that the Black Man has been runing and jumping from predators and throwing spears and such but if there is a slightly humorous if not cynical slice of this horror we humans have imposed on our fellow humans it must be noted that the original slaves were not fast enough or smart enough to evade their original slave trade captors.

Interesting....Wasn't it Jimmy the Greek who make that claim ^^ and was drummed out off TV. Interesting... but your views are not new, probably true but not new.

At the risk of being called a rascist I have observed in my travels which were heavily concentrated in the South and Southeast portions of the country after I reached the age of around 25 that the more athletic African Americans were concentrated to a higher degree in areas 200 years ago would have been slave holding states. Before 25 nearly all of my travels and experience was in the Pacific Northwest and some time spent on the West Coast of our country.

It is just my opinion and observations that it will probably take another 200 years before the strain of humans that were those culled to work fields and their immediate decendants have physical characteristics that lend themselves to our most popular national sports.

It's no secret that the african americans and those of that original group called slaves have excelled in a variety of physical skills moreso than caucasians.

There is still a very high population density of the product of the time of slavery in the Souteast and along the East coast up through The Virginias.

One would reasonably expect that at least for the forseeable future..surely in my lifetime that a higher percentage of gifted(inherited) athletic skill will be coming from a gene pool where the strongest survived and the weakest eliminated.

As such is the case the argument that the SEC has the better athletes and therefore better teams in Basketball and Football is mute.

Excellent athletes can and will be drawn from other parts of the country but statistics and averages do not lie.

I suppose one could REALLY be called a rascist and go so far as to say that the Black Man has been runing and jumping from predators and throwing spears and such but if there is a slightly humorous if not cynical slice of this horror we humans have imposed on our fellow humans it must be noted that the original slaves were not fast enough or smart enough to evade their original slave trade captors.

I disagree with the southeast region having the best talent. The reason SEC does so well is they have set up a system that greatly benefits the SEC, and the SEC colleges puts football first. I'm willing to bet the SEC pays it's football coaches more than double other big conferences.

I disagree with the southeast region having the best talent. The reason SEC does so well is they have set up a system that greatly benefits the SEC, and the SEC colleges puts football first. I'm willing to bet the SEC pays it's football coaches more than double other big conferences.

Miami, Georgia and LSU have the most players in the NFL. Is there a better gauge?

They are the top 3 of the top 15.

Power Ranking the 15 Biggest NFL Factories in College Football | Bleacher Report

The powerhouse teams in the SEC recruit nationwide. I think the fact that football has been shown to be such a profitable side of college athletics, the schools who put the resources into it and win are in a position to continue to win.

The gifted athlete, by and large, will want to go to the winning schools. The rich get richer.

The NCAA is proposing a new rule that would allow defenses to substitute in between plays against teams that run high-tempo, no-huddle offenses.

The new rule would prohibit teams from snapping the ball before there were 29 seconds on the play clock. The play clock last 40 seconds.

Although many teams play at a fast pace these days, getting plays off within 10 seconds is not very common.

That hasn’t stopped the most high-profile coach in the country, Alabama Crimson Tide Head Coach Nick Saban and another SEC coach, Arkansas Razorbacks‘ Head Coach Bret Bielema from voicing their concerns over quick tempos because of “player safety.”

“Coach Saban asked for the opportunity to meet with the committee and talk about this,” NCAA coordinator of officials Rogers Redding told the Associated Press. “It’s not routine, but it’s not unique, either.”

Other coaches, like Oklahoma State Cowboys‘ Head Coach Mike Gundy, have spoken out against the rule.

Even if the rule is passed, it doesn’t seem like it will make much of a difference.

Nick Saban, Bret Bielema back no-huddle rule change - FanSided - Sports News, Entertainment, Lifestyle & Technology - 240+ Sites

No input from other coaches, no study to support their idiotic assertion.

There is no study to back the assertion, but common sense dictates that it is accurate.

If you are running more plays, especially without substitution, you increase the risk of injuries. Who is more likely to be injured, a starter who is in for almost every play, or a relief guy who is on the bench most of the time?

Forum List

Back