Seattle Bans Potentially Offensive Words Like 'Citizen' and 'Brown Bag'

Nova78

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2011
Colorado

The city's Office of Civil Rights instructed city workers in a recent internal memo to refrain from using er terms "citizen" and "brown bag" because some may find the words offensive, according to reports from KOMO.

"Luckily, we've got options," Elliott Bronstein of the Office for Civil Rights wrote in the memo obtained by the station. "For 'citizens,' how about 'residents?'"

Bronstein, during an interview with Seattle's KIRO Radio, revealed the phrase "brown bag" had been previously used to judge a person based on their skin color.

"For a lot of particularly African-American community members, the phrase brown bag does bring up associations with the past when a brown bag was actually used, I understand, to determine if people's skin color was light enough to allow admission to an event or to come into a party that was being held in a private home," Bronstein said.

According to the memo, city employees should use the terms "lunch-and-learn" or "sack lunch" instead of "brown bag."

Read more at Seattle Bans Potentially Offensive Words Like 'Citizen' and 'Brown Bag'

Cracker and honky are ok ..... :lol: Seattle must be full of pussy ass girly hand Liberals.

What the f*ck dude...

How is "brown bag" and "citizen" offensive? I mean what the shit lol

Who gets offended by citizen and brown bag. :cuckoo:

At this rate, talking will be banned because like every word in the dictionary will be racist. We'll have to resort to sign language or some shit.

The city's Office of Civil Rights instructed city workers in a recent internal memo to refrain from using er terms "citizen" and "brown bag" because some may find the words offensive, according to reports from KOMO.

"Luckily, we've got options," Elliott Bronstein of the Office for Civil Rights wrote in the memo obtained by the station. "For 'citizens,' how about 'residents?'"

Bronstein, during an interview with Seattle's KIRO Radio, revealed the phrase "brown bag" had been previously used to judge a person based on their skin color.

"For a lot of particularly African-American community members, the phrase brown bag does bring up associations with the past when a brown bag was actually used, I understand, to determine if people's skin color was light enough to allow admission to an event or to come into a party that was being held in a private home," Bronstein said.

According to the memo, city employees should use the terms "lunch-and-learn" or "sack lunch" instead of "brown bag."

Read more at Seattle Bans Potentially Offensive Words Like 'Citizen' and 'Brown Bag'

Cracker and honky are ok ..... :lol: Seattle must be full of pussy ass girly hand Liberals.

Let's have some fun with Seattle by coming up with reasons their "acceptable" words are offensive and email the city language police that we are offended. Before long we can have the entire English vocabulary banned.

What the f*ck dude...

How is "brown bag" and "citizen" offensive? I mean what the shit lol

Who gets offended by citizen and brown bag. :cuckoo:

At this rate, talking will be banned because like every word in the dictionary will be racist. We'll have to resort to sign language or some shit.

Tea bag is OK.

Brown bag might offend someone... somehow.

That is someone who isn't a tea bagger.

I know.... I don't understand insipid leftist bullshit either.

Oh for Gods sake. Suck it up people, and stop turning an every day item into something racist!

Noomi, why is American politics so important to you?

Can't you mind your business? Are Americans getting involved in your countries politics?

What do you even do with your life? Is it that boring? Too bad they took away all your guns. At least you'd have some recreation down there.

I agree with your sentiment of course, but still...

Last edited:
Oh for Gods sake. Suck it up people, and stop turning an every day item into something racist!

Can't you mind your business? Are Americans getting involved in your countries politics?

What do you even do with your life? Is it that boring? Too bad they took away all your guns. At least you'd have some recreation down there.

This is a forum for everyone, regardless of where they come from, and your politics affects us, as you may well know.

I think we should change brown bag to plastic bag, oh wait, that might offend people who have had plastic surgery, uhmmm... what about "sack lunch"? Oh wait, that might be considered sexist because women don't have testicles... uhmmmm... what about NON RACIAL GENDER NEUTRAL CONTAINER? Yes! I have solved the worlds problems!

If the powers that be try that here I have very non P.C. response.
images

This is a forum for everyone, regardless of where they come from, and your politics affects us, as you may well know.

I agree with ya. I happen to disagree with pretty much everything you say but you have as much right to be here as the next person. Give 'em hell!

Why do Seattle citizens get all upset about brown bags?

I think Seattle citizens need to walk the streets of Seattle yelling Citizens for brown bags.

To ‘refrain from’ is not to ‘ban,’ and the memo concerns city employees only, not the general public.

This is yet another non-issue, a failed attempt by the right to contrive a controversy where none exists.

Forum List

Back