Scraping the extra point a good idea?

antiquity

Gold Member
Sep 5, 2012
Northwest Peninsula
Goodell says NFL may consider scrapping PATs, adding excitement to TDs

Goodell is right enough there. The NFL only saw five missed extra points this regular season — one each from Green Bay, Dallas, Pittsburgh, Tennessee and Philadelphia — in 1,267 tries. And the active kicker with the worst PAT conversion rate is Graham Gano, who has made 97.6 percent of his regular season kicks since coming into the league four seasons ago.

But if football actually did do away with the extra point, then what would happen after a touchdown?

“You want to add excitement with every play,” Goodell said. “So there have been some proposals. Some are still going through the process of creativity, but there’s one proposal in particular that I’ve heard about (where) it’s automatic that you get seven points when you score a touchdown, but you could potentially go for an eighth point, either by running or passing the ball. But if you fail, you’d go back to six.”

It’s certainly an interesting idea that would force coaches to rethink the way they approach certain game situations, but before you start thinking about how such a rule might impact the 17th round of your fantasy draft next year, take a breath — because Goodell, in his interview, also made it clear that the proposal he discussed is just that.

When I first heard about this proposal I thought no way....but after I thought about for a while, I think it would improve the game and make it more interesting to watch, not that its not interesting now. Think about scoring a touchdown and getting seven points...try the extra point by either the pass or the run and get an extra point....miss and you lose a point. 7-8-or six, what a concept. Something new and exciting twist for coaches to ponder.

I like it.

Doing away with the foot in football. I think they said something about getting rid of the kick off too. Getting rid of tackling has got to be next. Hell, just reduce the game to thirty minutes, and add another half hour of commercials.

Just move it back 15 or 20 yards and make it not as much of a chip shot. If you go for the 2 point you can still line up close to the end zone, you just can't kick it.

The only effect this would have is to make the PAT conversion rate 100%, rather than the current almost 100%. Seems like a silly idea to me.

“You want to add excitement with every play,” Goodell said. “So there have been some proposals. Some are still going through the process of creativity, but there’s one proposal in particular that I’ve heard about (where) it’s automatic that you get seven points when you score a touchdown, but you could potentially go for an eighth point, either by running or passing the ball. But if you fail, you’d go back to six.”

That's effectively the exact same as it is currently, except for not having to actually kick the extra point. How exactly is that supposed to "add excitement"?

If they want to add excitement to the game, they should adopt 'fantasy' scoring for field goals.

4pts for 40+ yards
5pts for 50+

That would seriously impact coaching decisions.

New Topics

Forum List

Back