SCOTUS Refuses to Hear Stairway Heaven Lawsuit Spirit v Led Zeppelin

I always thought that Stevie Wonder's "A Place in the Sun" sounds remarkably like Gary Moore's "Still Got the Blues". At least the guitar solo:

When you consider the many thousands of songs written by various people, there are bound to be parts of songs that are very similar or even the same. In some cases it could be random, in other cases it could be on artist remembering what he heard before when he is composing "a new song".

Ya gotta admit, the intro is exactly the same:

Just a few notes. That's not enough to support a case of plagiarism.
Not lawyer or musician, but hell there are rifts which seem suspiciously similar especially with Stevie Wonder and Gary Moore.

George Harrison lost against some musician with "My Sweet Lord" many years ago. Oh, "He's So Fine" by the Chiffons I think.

When you consider the many thousands of songs written by various people, there are bound to be parts of songs that are very similar or even the same. In some cases it could be random, in other cases it could be on artist remembering what he heard before when he is composing "a new song".
I get that. Still, that's what copyright is for. In Harrison's case the judge said the same thing.

Just a few notes. That's not enough to support a case of plagiarism.

Led Zeppelin is known for plagiarizing EVERYONE.

Of course they plagiarized it and used it as a core to the song.

But THIS is the reason it ain't going no where.

RobertPlantCBE02PA251111.jpg

:auiqs.jpg:

. . . and you folks call yourselves "Americans." :heehee:

Led Zeppelin is known for plagiarizing EVERYONE.
Of course they plagiarized it and used it as a core to the song.

INFORMATIVE.png
I was never a huge Zeppelin fan (I like them), but some of these seem to go beyond sheer plausible coincidence.

Don't sound nothing like it.

Are you kidding. It's closer than most high school cover bands back in the day.

In a few bars, there is a slight similarity. Taurus has a line that descends one semitone at a time.

In thee intro to Stairway to Heaven, there is that same simple line combined with another melody that ascends simultaneously. Contrapuntal and contrary motion that does not exist in Taurus. It is much more complicated that Taurus.

And they are both in the very common key of A minor. That's where the similarity ends.

This was a fucking ridiculous and frivolous lawsuit from the beginning. Whatever lawyer(s) brought this case to the court should be disbarred, tarred and feathered.

Last edited:
It's a four or five note progression, that's all. It's not even the chords. Spirit walked it down, whereas Page walked it down on the lower strings and, at the same time, walked it up on the higher strings.

They're similar, but they're definitely not the same. That'd be like saying that "Sweet Home Alabama", "Helpless" and "Can't You See" are all the same because they're all D, C, G chord progressions...

On the D string of the guitar you play fret 7 then 6 then 5 then 4.

Maybe they should try to sue NASA for copyright infringement. :eusa_boohoo::abgg2q.jpg:

Forum List

Back