Schumer Calls for Using IRS to Curtail Tea Party Activities

i will simply say this to those who support this idea you will have a republican president again i hope you will be as supportive of him or her using the i.r.s. As weapon against there political opposition as you seem to be now.

yep

I assume you watched the hearings not long back about the Tea Party IRS stuff. I did too. Can you tell us what those people did that was illegal or even suspicious?

The law states:

Section 501(c)(4)
social welfare organizations
are tax
-
exempt
organizations that have as
their primary purpose engaging in social welfare activities.
Section 501(c)(4) defines
social
welfare organizations
as:
Civic leagues or organizations not organized for profit but operated exclusively
for the promotion of
social welfare, or local associations of employees, the
membership of which is limited to the employees of a designated person or
persons . . . and the net earnings of which are devoted exclusively to charitable,
educational, or recreational purposes
http://moritzlaw.osu.edu/electionla...01(c)(4) Social Welfare Organizations v.6.pdf
It's ILLEGAL to engage in political activities.

Where does that statement make it illegal to engage in politics for these groups? It only makes it not applicable to a groups looking to make a profit, which Tea Party organizations usually do not do.

Educating people on topics is what the Tea party organizations do, which falls under this law.

Exclusively makes it illegal.

The Tea Party groups are not engaged in Social Welfare. They are engaged in politics.

I will simply say this to those who support this idea you will have a Republican President again I hope you will be as supportive of him or her using the I.R.S. as weapon against there political opposition as you seem to be now.

You mean like when the NAACP and Charlie Rangel were targeted under Bush?

Don't worry.

We're use to it.

:lol:

Americans United for Change
Americans United for Change enjoys 501(c)4 tax-exempt status. The organization exists, according to its own website, “to amplify the progressive message--to contribute to a grass roots groundswell for progressive policies. Progressives need to redefine ‘common sense’--by reasserting the primacy of the traditional progressive values that resonate with most Americans.”
The group spent $4.7 million in 2009 “redefining” common sense and, according to their IRS form 990, on “advocacy and education about public policy issues.” Americans United for Change directly engaged Republican senators facing reelection in 2008, running television advertisements against them. Naturally, no Democrat complained. Nor did the IRS revoke its 501(c) status.

Political activity, no?

I will simply say this to those who support this idea you will have a Republican President again I hope you will be as supportive of him or her using the I.R.S. as weapon against there political opposition as you seem to be now.

You mean like when the NAACP and Charlie Rangel were targeted under Bush?

Don't worry.

We're use to it.

:lol:
Have a link to that claim? Did you consider that to be abuse of power? I suspect you did yet now your good with it when the following administrations continue expanding on this will you still be good with it?

The law states:

Where does that statement make it illegal to engage in politics for these groups? It only makes it not applicable to a groups looking to make a profit, which Tea Party organizations usually do not do.

Educating people on topics is what the Tea party organizations do, which falls under this law.

The Tea Party groups are not engaged in Social Welfare. They are engaged in politics.

No, they are engaging in politics you don't like, which is the only reason you care about it.

and by your answer, you can't find a ban on political activity with in the law, so you are stuck with semantics, i.e. you lose (just like as if you stole fizzy lifting drinks). good day sir.

Americans United for Change
Americans United for Change enjoys 501(c)4 tax-exempt status. The organization exists, according to its own website, “to amplify the progressive message--to contribute to a grass roots groundswell for progressive policies. Progressives need to redefine ‘common sense’--by reasserting the primacy of the traditional progressive values that resonate with most Americans.”
The group spent $4.7 million in 2009 “redefining” common sense and, according to their IRS form 990, on “advocacy and education about public policy issues.” Americans United for Change directly engaged Republican senators facing reelection in 2008, running television advertisements against them. Naturally, no Democrat complained. Nor did the IRS revoke its 501(c) status.

Political activity, no?

This breaks on both sides of the aisle..dude.

I've always said that if you scratch a liberal, underneath you'll find a fascist. Now they have no shame about revealing their fascist agenda.

Schumer Calls for Using IRS to Curtail Tea Party Activities | Washington Free Beacon

Sen. Chuck Schumer (D., N.Y.) proposed using the Internal Revenue Service to curtail Tea Party group funding during a speech on how to “exploit” and “weaken” the movement at the Center for American Progress on Thursday.

Arguing that Tea Party groups have a financial advantage after the Supreme Court’s 2010 Citizens United decision, Schumer said the Obama administration should bypass Congress and institute new campaign finance rules through the IRS.

“It is clear that we will not pass anything legislatively as long as the House of Representatives is in Republican control, but there are many things that can be done administratively by the IRS and other government agencies—we must redouble those efforts immediately,” Schumer said.​

Sounds like a good plan to me. Love Schumer.

I've always said that if you scratch a liberal, underneath you'll find a fascist. Now they have no shame about revealing their fascist agenda.

Schumer Calls for Using IRS to Curtail Tea Party Activities | Washington Free Beacon

Sen. Chuck Schumer (D., N.Y.) proposed using the Internal Revenue Service to curtail Tea Party group funding during a speech on how to “exploit” and “weaken” the movement at the Center for American Progress on Thursday.

Arguing that Tea Party groups have a financial advantage after the Supreme Court’s 2010 Citizens United decision, Schumer said the Obama administration should bypass Congress and institute new campaign finance rules through the IRS.

“It is clear that we will not pass anything legislatively as long as the House of Representatives is in Republican control, but there are many things that can be done administratively by the IRS and other government agencies—we must redouble those efforts immediately,” Schumer said.​

Nothing like preferring to silence the opposition than debating with the opposition, or god forbid, showing why your ideas and concepts are superior.

No, they are engaging in politics you don't like, which is the only reason you care about it.

and by your answer, you can't find a ban on political activity with in the law, so you are stuck with semantics, i.e. you lose (just like as if you stole fizzy lifting drinks). good day sir.

No you can't ban political activity.

But you can rescind 501(c) status.

And this isn't a "game".

The law states:

So social welfare and politics are incompatible now? So your saying that anyone who advocates for social security isn't arguing for a social welfare and politics but either one or the other? Which one?

Here is an example of what happens when someone goes off her meds: "Aren't you embarrassed at how diaphanous your acceptance of the malevolence of the statists actions are....as long as it's Liberal/Progressive/DeathPanelDemocrats?"

I said it was the job of the IRS to curb unlawful activity by far right and far left. She is so weird.

When far left and far right groups go for "educational awareness" to engage actually in politics, yes, Avatar, they should get their tax status removed.

Nothing like preferring to silence the opposition than debating with the opposition, or god forbid, showing why your ideas and concepts are superior.

Citizens United isn't a debate it's comparable to a dirty pac. Underhanded and archaic principles surround that group and it needs to be combated, not debated.

No you can't ban political activity.

But you can rescind 501(c) status.

And this isn't a "game".

Where in the 501(c) law is political activity banned?

Citizens United isn't a debate it's comparable to a dirty pac. Underhanded and archaic principles surround that group and it needs to be combated, not debated.

So again, silencing your opposition.

The more I read about campaign finance laws, the stupider and more abitrary they seem.

People should be free to donate to any candidate they want in any amount. The way it's set up now it's designed for the people who know all the ins and outs to remain in power and anyone challenging them has to jump through hoops. Freaking ridiculous.

Forum List

Back