Schoolyard Games

JohnDB

Platinum Member
Jun 16, 2021
While everyone is arguing about whether or not children should wear masks or not.
Or If they should even be in the classroom at all.

There's this issue with the economy and the labor market...low paying jobs are going unfilled.

And that directly affects the quintessential "School Bus Driver".

A School Bus Driver needs to hold a Class B CDL with no air brake restriction and an F endorsement and pass a background check (no more sexual predators allowed to drive busses anymore)

All for the impossible job of watching the road, keeping an eye on the loud, obnoxious children and get them to school on time...as a part-time job that has a split shift. (And yes you have to clean up the bus every day)

Well... nobody (that might actually qualify) wants the low paying job working for the districts. Nashville school districts alone are short somewhere to the tune of 60 drivers.
That doesn't include the surrounding counties.
And this is not just TN....just about every school district in America is running short of drivers.

Bus driver shortage impacts small business contractors

Anybody else want a crappy job for low pay?

Apparently children are not getting bussed or showing up 2 hrs late and getting marked absent/tardy for school....while parents are getting notifications on the matter and screaming "What have you done with my child?" Or "Where is my child?".

Yeah....it's getting pretty ugly around here.

all v
While everyone is arguing about whether or not children should wear masks or not.

There's this issue with the economy and the labor market...low paying jobs are going unfilled.

A School Bus Driver needs to hold a Class B CDL with no air brake restriction and an F endorsement and pass a background check (no more sexual predators allowed to drive busses anymore)

All for the impossible job of watching the road, keeping an eye on the loud, obnoxious children and get them to school on time...as a part-time job that has a split shift. (And yes you have to clean up the bus every day)

Well... nobody (that might actually qualify) wants the low paying job working for the districts. Nashville school districts alone are short somewhere to the tune of 60 drivers.
And this is not just TN....just about every school district in America is running short of drivers.

all bussing should end except in rural communities,,

For a minute I thought you were from my area. They're in dire need for bus driver's and start them at $12.00 an hour. On the local FB page CDL driver's responded WTF no thanks. It's one of the most responsible position's making sure those kids get where they're suppose to be not to mention the ones that are driving say none of the kids have any respect or wear masks.

Business has been in a “take it or leave it, we can easily replace you” mode for decades

They got to set the wages, benefits and working conditions without any concerns for workers.

Now, workers are telling them to shove it, I have better options.

Employers are sulking because they actually have to share some of their profits with the workers.

Business has been in a “take it or leave it, we can easily replace you” mode for decades

They got to set the wages, benefits and working conditions without any concerns for workers.

Now, workers are telling them to shove it, I have better options.

Employers are sulking because they actually have to share some of their profits with the workers.
That may be true. There are however, a lot of bums in the workplace. A lot of people given higher placements in the hierechy and are not that good. We see a drop in the bucket with the violence at times over it.

Now, I agree with that. I shake my head everyday when I see the school bus pick up kids young and older across the street from me. The school is approximately 1 mile from us.
Parents can always take their kids to school themselves. Busses are a convenience...not mandatory.
And the "bussing" issues of the 70-80 are over and been gone. Now Magnet and charter schools (hotly desired and fought over) are the best schools in an urban setting and placed in lower tax neighborhoods where those living in their zone automatically qualify for attendance.

Nobody is bussed anywhere outside their zone anymore. Not unless they want to attend the "drop out" program schools for High School. But they only go to school once a week and have one assignment per year.

Forum List

Back