Sauerkraut

Sounds good. A little crunchy still? No vinegar? Just salt? Or does the vinegar-y thing happen from letting it sit in the salt?

The Op's idea of making kraut is the same as most people that still make it themselves. No vinegar is used, just cabbage and salt. Kept in a crock for atleast 6-8 weeks to ferment, possibly longer. The salt draws out the moisture from the cabbage to create the juice during the fermentation process. It will also bubble up and get a 'scum' floating on top & usually taken off. And the longer it sits, the stronger & more sour it is.
That vinegary taste is like you said......letting it sit in the salt. Fermentation=sour.

Personally I'm not that fond of real sour kraut, but I do like it in the earlier stages of when it's just started to sour.

Psst btw, we are on ignore because we don't bow to the idiot. :thup:
I really like sauerkraut on hotdogs and on Reubens, but after reading this thread, I may never eat it again. I had no idea .....

If you like it, then don't let anything change that. It's all kept very sanitary. The kraut when fermenting becomes acidic.......that kills any bad bacteria. If it's the idea of the 'scum' that puts you off, don't. It sounds worse than it really is.

There is another way to make kraut if you are a canner and is what's called a 'fresh pack'. You pack the cabbage & salt in the jars and top with a lid and stored in a cool dark place for several weeks..........fermentation will still take place and because of that action & gases within the jar, they pretty much seal themselves when the process is done. No you can't get botulism from this because of the acid created during fermentation.

I agree about having it on hotdogs & Reubens, that's some goooooood stuff. Don't let anything here stop you from enjoying it.

Understand that anything fermented has been left to sit for a period of time. That includes sourdough starter for bread, pickles, kraut, kefir, cheese even. Maybe even beer IDK. Did you not know that mold on cheese only needs to be cut off and the rest of it is just fine? And the time it's left to sit determines it's flavor, especially with cheddars. Mild, medium and sharp only means the stronger the cheese, the longer it's been allowed to sit

Fermenting/salting foods used to be a way to preserve foods for longer keeping quality before refrigeration. That also includes meats. Somewhere years ago I read about hams that were salted, brined & cold smoked when a daughter was born and was kept to be given when she married as part of her dowry.

Just an FYI.....if you knew even half of what the food industry did to put those cute & appetizing packages on the store shelves, you'd starve. Homemade kraut or anything done naturally is a whole lot more healthy & safe......just sayin

As you know, in the old days there was no refrigerator and freezer, so people tried to save vegetables ...
One of the ways is "Cabbage Quenching" ..
------------------------------------------
In Europe, especially Germany, they do not know how to sour cabbage ...
Germans love sauerkraut, but they do not know how to cook it.
Germans BOIL cabbage before souring ...
They kill all the vitamins and beneficial microbes that make the P .. :04:
К сожалению, эти русские понятия невозможно перевести на английский язык

=================================================
In Russia there is no such outrage ...
- Cabbage shredded
- Cabbage is packed in rows and sprinkled with salt
- Cabbage is pressed down with a heavy object
- Cabbage is located in a warm place at a temperature of 23. Celsius 5 days ...
-------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------
Here is my sauerkraut, which I now eat ..

View attachment 182078

================================================
Sauerkraut in Russia is the basis for preparing many dishes
- Siberian Shchi
- Salads
- Rassolnik
- Snack with vodka
- garnishes
- And so on...

===================================================
As far as I understand, Americans do not know what "Sauerkraut" ??? :04:
Poor people ...
A Russian sauerkraut cabbage

nothing better than sour kraut and German sausages! ....

...leave us alone.
I see your mother who conceived you from the Negro in the trash and nothing more
Why is Selivan always such an asshole in all of his threads?

Even one on Sauerkraut ??
Another boorish word, and go to ignore

Selivan, great physicist and mathematician, why do you not answer my simple questions to show you are not such a bullshitter? Shall I post my math question here for you to answer where you cannot act like you have missed it? Why do you put on ignore anyone who questions your great knowledge and skill or tests your "facts"? Why cannot you debate and disagree with anyone on factual basis without Russian slurs and hanging up? What happened to you on your Stereo thread where I asked you to explain your knowledge and show your system? Please pick which general topics we can discuss which are not restricted to national origin but open to all:
Audio
Acoustics
Astronomy
Botany
Chemistry
Communications
Computers
Electronics
Food
Geology
Mechanical Design
Medicine
Physics
Physiology
Radio
Television
Video
Weather

I am open for you to show the world what stupid Americans we all are.

Russian medicine doesn't work at all apparently. This guy's face looks like he got hit by a 10 wheel dump truck! Skinny bony arms, hardly a man. I would call him a "lady boy." :D

68527.jpg

This is not picture of Selivan but photo he cut out of paper he wishes to be seen as. Selevan is sickly old man who hides in obscure columns hoping not to answer the real questions put to him while he talks about weeds and sour milk he barters from peasant village where he works as laborer. If Russia was half as great as he claims, we'd all be there speaking Russian on THEIR forum rather than him coming here to talk about his fermented cabbage.

Well, he could have chosen a better looking guy. That guy looks like a douche. :dunno:

I think it was a good choice, it fits his character well. Look at how he stands there with a smug look on his face, tilted to the side with arms crossed------ A good representation of a person who picks obdurate topics restricted to within a local criteria which outsiders cannot know or define, then challenging others to answer vague questions to which he remains the sole arbiter of whether they were correctly answered or not! Then once the matter is exploited to only HIS satisfaction, runs away like a bomb thrower to dodge all responsibility only to crop up like so many mushrooms pushing yet a new vague and obscure topic. Russians have made a study of such tricks of mind and idea manipulation under such terms including bourgeois pseudoscience (Буржуазная лженаука) through the vehicle of the Komsomol. It all stems back to fundamental Marxist-Leninist thinking and I've seen it many times by such people who attempt to misdirect, confuse, and run.

Russians are nothing new at this, which is what makes the current Trump investigation so funny, as if it comes as anyone's surprise. Organizations that have received more than 100 million dollars a year from the USSR include the
World Peace Council, the World Federation of Trade Unions, the World Federation of Democratic Youth, and the International Union of Students. Somewhat less important front organizations included: Afro-Asian People's Solidarity Organization, Christian Peace Conference, International Association of Democratic Lawyers, International Federation of Resistance Movements, International Institute for Peace, International Organization of Journalists, Women's International Democratic Federation and World Federation of Scientific Workers.

Russian propaganda against the United States has included the following actions:
So you see, our fanboi here shown above is nothing new. Just another extension of the old Soviet mindset to explore, exploit and try to weaken their adversaries, and his penetration here is nothing more than an invasion and assault upon the West under a guise of casual conversation and friendly instruction. I guess the West just never learns.

kraut.....grow the biggest and toughest cabbage you can come up with and wait a week after harvest. DO NOT use a grater. Either shred with a knife or use a mandolin.....if you even know what that is ( not a musical instrument).Put it in an ice cream bucket and layer it one inch deep, salt with sea salt between each layer Punch the hell out of it with your fist ( or a handle on a rolling pin) .Put a plate in the bucket with something heave to squeeze it( I use a gallon of water). Cover with a towel and tie closed with string. In five days remove the towel / weight/plate and skim off the disgusting slime. Underneath is the kraut.Jar it in mason jars and fridge it. A non idiot will chop some onions, garlic, thyme, basil, parsley and stuff and tune it up in a skillet before serving. A can boy will eat it as is.Probably 90% Up There

The fresher the cabbage the better, juicier, imho. Pick in the morning - in the crock by noon. I leave it 14 to 21 days depending on room temp. A gallon freezer bag filled with brine makes a tight seal that eliminates the need to skim during the fermentation process. Purple cabbage makes delicious sauerkraut too. The hardest part, for me, is pressing each layer to extract the water.

Russian medicine doesn't work at all apparently. This guy's face looks like he got hit by a 10 wheel dump truck! Skinny bony arms, hardly a man. I would call him a "lady boy." :D

68527.jpg

This is not picture of Selivan but photo he cut out of paper he wishes to be seen as. Selevan is sickly old man who hides in obscure columns hoping not to answer the real questions put to him while he talks about weeds and sour milk he barters from peasant village where he works as laborer. If Russia was half as great as he claims, we'd all be there speaking Russian on THEIR forum rather than him coming here to talk about his fermented cabbage.

Well, he could have chosen a better looking guy. That guy looks like a douche. :dunno:

I think it was a good choice, it fits his character well. Look at how he stands there with a smug look on his face, tilted to the side with arms crossed------ A good representation of a person who picks obdurate topics restricted to within a local criteria which outsiders cannot know or define, then challenging others to answer vague questions to which he remains the sole arbiter of whether they were correctly answered or not! Then once the matter is exploited to only HIS satisfaction, runs away like a bomb thrower to dodge all responsibility only to crop up like so many mushrooms pushing yet a new vague and obscure topic. Russians have made a study of such tricks of mind and idea manipulation under such terms including bourgeois pseudoscience (Буржуазная лженаука) through the vehicle of the Komsomol. It all stems back to fundamental Marxist-Leninist thinking and I've seen it many times by such people who attempt to misdirect, confuse, and run.

Russians are nothing new at this, which is what makes the current Trump investigation so funny, as if it comes as anyone's surprise. Organizations that have received more than 100 million dollars a year from the USSR include the
World Peace Council, the World Federation of Trade Unions, the World Federation of Democratic Youth, and the International Union of Students. Somewhat less important front organizations included: Afro-Asian People's Solidarity Organization, Christian Peace Conference, International Association of Democratic Lawyers, International Federation of Resistance Movements, International Institute for Peace, International Organization of Journalists, Women's International Democratic Federation and World Federation of Scientific Workers.

Russian propaganda against the United States has included the following actions:
So you see, our fanboi here shown above is nothing new. Just another extension of the old Soviet mindset to explore, exploit and try to weaken their adversaries, and his penetration here is nothing more than an invasion and assault upon the West under a guise of casual conversation and friendly instruction. I guess the West just never learns.

While you may be right about all of that, I don't really find him or his topics of conversation to be very threatening to us. I mean, sauerkraut and mushrooms? Maybe they are planting some polonium 210? :D

I wouldn't give the silly troll so much credit.

68527.jpg
Girly Man

Only Russian sauerkraut with buckwheat porridge and pork!
Grechka.JPG

======================================================
Sausage
- German sausage - the best in the world! Germans know how to cook this product,
- The Russians forgot technology when the USSR collapsed, so sausage in Russia is not tasty ...
- American sausage - full of shit ..
-------------------------------------------------- -----
Beer
- Germans know how to cook a wonderful beer, but I like Czech more
- Russians do not know how to make beer
- American beer - this shit ... usually stolen from the BUD, having 2 degrees of alcohol, opposite the German 3 degrees
The Sauerkraut
- The Germans do not know how to cook this product, they only spoil it
- Russians cook the best sauerkraut in the world!
- Americans do not know this product ... They eat "pickled cabbage with vinegar" .. Awfully
:04:

Buckwheat
This product is eaten by Russians and Jews ...
Americans and Germans lose a lot, because they do not eat this product

Last edited:
The fresher the cabbage the better, juicier, imho. Pick in the morning - in the crock by noon. I leave it 14 to 21 days depending on room temp. A gallon freezer bag filled with brine makes a tight seal that eliminates the need to skim during the fermentation process. Purple cabbage makes delicious sauerkraut too. The hardest part, for me, is pressing each layer to extract the water.

It is also correct, but it is better not to choose "fresh cabbage", but a separate variety of cabbage ...
This variety is "white, but not green" ...

Such cabbage will be soft after souring ..
Other varieties will be firm and tasteless ..

=======================================
By the way, sauerkraut in Russia has historically been the basis for preparing a traditional Russian dish - Shchi
Shchi - Wikipedia
Foreigners believe that the Russians are preparing Shchi from fresh cabbage.
It is not true. :04:

=========================================
Another traditional Russian dish from sauerkraut is a hodgepodge ..
You must extinguish sauerkraut in the oven
SOLYANKA

Braised sauerkraut with sausage.
This product was adopted in the Soviet years for the nutrition of children sick in hospitals, the Soviet Army and all workers, since it is useful
Солянка.JPG

View attachment 184517

Sausage
- German sausage - the best in the world! Germans know how to cook this product,
- The Russians forgot technology when the USSR collapsed, so sausage in Russia is not tasty ...
Beer
- American beer - this shit ... usually stolen from the BUD, having 2 degrees of alcohol, opposite the German 3 degrees
The Sauerkraut
- Americans do not know this product ... They eat "pickled cabbage with vinegar" .. Awfully

Buckwheat
Most Americans prefer Cole Slaw to kraut

Some of it is quite good, some is horrid

As you know, in the old days there was no refrigerator and freezer, so people tried to save vegetables ...

- Cabbage shredded
-------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------

View attachment 182078

- Siberian Shchi
- Salads
- Rassolnik
- Snack with vodka
- garnishes
- And so on...

Poor people ...
I throw sauerkraut and brats in the slow cooker on some weekends. Good for lunches.

- Cabbage shredded

View attachment 182078

- Siberian Shchi
- Salads
- Rassolnik
- Snack with vodka
- garnishes
- And so on...

Poor people ...
I throw sauerkraut and brats in the slow cooker on some weekends. Good for lunches.
Do you add anything to the kraut?

- Cabbage shredded

View attachment 182078

- Siberian Shchi
- Salads
- Rassolnik
- Snack with vodka
- garnishes
- And so on...

Poor people ...
Sometimes I add a little bacon...sometimes I leave it plain.

- Cabbage shredded

View attachment 182078

- Siberian Shchi
- Salads
- Rassolnik
- Snack with vodka
- garnishes
- And so on...

Poor people ...
Sometimes I add a little bacon...sometimes I leave it plain.
I like to fry it in a little bacon fat .......everything tastes better in bacon fat
Some onions and a little fennel
Cook until it turns brown

Much tastier than the crap Russians try to pass off as kraut

It is also correct, but it is better not to choose "fresh cabbage", but a separate variety of cabbage ...
This variety is "white, but not green" ...

Such cabbage will be soft after souring ..
Other varieties will be firm and tasteless ..

=======================================
By the way, sauerkraut in Russia has historically been the basis for preparing a traditional Russian dish - Shchi
Shchi - Wikipedia
Foreigners believe that the Russians are preparing Shchi from fresh cabbage.
It is not true. :04:

=========================================
Another traditional Russian dish from sauerkraut is a hodgepodge ..
You must extinguish sauerkraut in the oven
SOLYANKA

Braised sauerkraut with sausage.
This product was adopted in the Soviet years for the nutrition of children sick in hospitals, the Soviet Army and all workers, since it is useful
View attachment 184518

It looks like a plate full of vomit.

View attachment 184517

Sausage
Beer
The Sauerkraut

Buckwheat

Yes, cole slaw. Yum. Much prettier than sauerkraut too. :D

iu

View attachment 184517

Sausage
Beer
The Sauerkraut

Buckwheat

iu
That’s the slaw I like to eat

Not that mushy stuff that comes out of a five gallon tub

View attachment 184517

Sausage
Beer
The Sauerkraut

Buckwheat

iu

There is a reason why "Russian food" isn't very popular and it is because it is mostly disgusting looking slop. :D

View attachment 184517

Sausage
Beer
The Sauerkraut

Buckwheat

iu

There is a reason why "Russian food" isn't very popular and it is because it is mostly disgusting looking slop. :D
Polish and Ukrainian food has its merits

Russia has never been known for its cuisine. Let’s go eat at a nice Russian restaurant. ...Yuk

Forum List

Back