Saudi bans male doctors from checking dead women

Sally

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2012
It's a good thing that the Saudis have no say about medical practices in the U.S. or else more women would have to perform autopsies. They would even require that all women be attended by female doctors and not males in the U.S.

Saudi bans male doctors from checking dead women
Decision followed demand by the Kingdom’s top Islamic scholar
By
Staff
Published Tuesday, December 03, 2013
Saudi Arabia has told its hospitals to prevent male doctors from checking dead women following a demand by the Gulf Kingdom’s top Islamic scholar.

Sheikh Abdul Aziz Al Shaikh, Saudi Arabia’s grand Mufti, sent a letter to the health ministry asking it to ensure male doctors at all hospitals in the country of 29 million people will not be allowed to check dead women either in medical or criminal cases.

“The Mufti made clear that the body of a woman whether alive or dead must be respected and should not be seen by males,” Arar newspaper said.

It quoted health ministry undersecretary Abdul Aziz Al Humaidi as saying the ministry had sent a circular to all hospitals upon receiving the Mufti’s letter. “We have asked all hospitals and medical centres in the Kingdom to ensure that dead women would be checked only by female doctors,” he said.

Saudi bans male doctors from checking dead women - Emirates 24/7

I thought that was already in place?

Maybe the "dead women" thing is new. I have read articles in the past that there are Muslim men who refuse male doctors to treat their wives and the female nurse has to go into their rooms and tell the doctor what is wrong. I am sure that doctors don't even think who is male or female, but just feel they are treating a patient who is ill.

I thought that was already in place?

Maybe the "dead women" thing is new. I have read articles in the past that there are Muslim men who refuse male doctors to treat their wives and the female nurse has to go into their rooms and tell the doctor what is wrong. I am sure that doctors don't even think who is male or female, but just feel they are treating a patient who is ill.

The genders are competely separate in the Kingdom, I am surprised this was not already in place.

This is really a non issue because there are plenty of female doctors in the Saudi Kingdom to provide this service for deceased women. ... :cool:

Really?? Can you show us some statistics on that since I didn't realize you worked in some department which kept the records of the gender of doctors in Saudi Arabia? Forget for a moment that you are a Sunni Muslim but just an American male? Would you have a problem with a dead female relative being autopsied by a male doctor?

The Saudis play a huge role in Right wing politics in this country via FOX.

The Saudi Royal family (aka the Saudi Government) owns a large chunk of that propaganda station.

This is really a non issue because there are plenty of female doctors in the Saudi Kingdom to provide this service for deceased women. ... :cool:

Really?? Can you show us some statistics on that since I didn't realize you worked in some department which kept the records of the gender of doctors in Saudi Arabia? Forget for a moment that you are a Sunni Muslim but just an American male? Would you have a problem with a dead female relative being autopsied by a male doctor?
I have personally known female Saudi doctors. They have them because in the KSA women see women doctors and men see male doctors.

To answer your question: Here in the U.S. deceased muslims aren't autopsied unless the local Police suspect a crime caused the persons death. And then only the same gender medical examiner is allowed to examine the body. ... :cool:

I have personally known female Saudi doctors. They have them because in the KSA women see women doctors and men see male doctors.

To answer your question: Here in the U.S. deceased muslims aren't autopsied unless the local Police suspect a crime caused the persons death. And then only the same gender medical examiner is allowed to examine the body. ... :cool:

Only Muslim receive that treatment ?

It was either that or mandatory genital mutilation.

I don't know the answer to your question.

But in the city where I live, deceased muslims are not autopsied unless the Police put a hold on the body because the cause of death is suspect. ... :cool:

Ok, but why is that only for Muslims ?? I don't get it ?
According to Islam desecration of a dead body, which is what an autopsy does, is forbidden.

I believe that orthodox Judaism has the same prohibition against autopsies of their deceased. ...

I don't know the answer to your question.

But in the city where I live, deceased muslims are not autopsied unless the Police put a hold on the body because the cause of death is suspect. ... :cool:

Ok, but why is that only for Muslims ?? I don't get it ?
According to Islam desecration of a dead body, which is what an autopsy does, is forbidden.

I believe that orthodox Judaism has the same prohibition against autopsies of their deceased. ...

Oh ok. I completely misunderstood what you were saying

Yes, the very religious Orthodox do.

Good luck waiting for a female doctor to drive herself to the scene of a death in Saudi.
Good luck waiting for any doctor to drive to the scene of a death in America. ... :cool:

If you really feel that way, Sunni Man, nobody is stopping you from moving to a country where you feel a doctor won't take his time driving to the scene of a death. As the readers can see, Sunni Man didn't have anything to say about women not driving in Saudi Arabia. So tell us, Sunni Man, what did you feel when you read about the Saudi woman driver being arrested as she was driving her father to a doctor.

If you really feel that way, Sunni Man, nobody is stopping you from moving to a country where you feel a doctor won't take his time driving to the scene of a death. As the readers can see, Sunni Man didn't have anything to say about women not driving in Saudi Arabia. So tell us, Sunni Man, what did you feel when you read about the Saudi woman driver being arrested as she was driving her father to a doctor.
During my life I have seen several very bad car wrecks and even helped extricate some severely injured people from their vehicles a couple of times before the EMT people arrived at the scene.

But not once have I ever witnessed a doctor showing up at the scene to attend to the people.

Have You??

As for women not being allowed to drive in Saudi Arabia.

It's their country and their laws.

So I could eally care less. .. :cool:

During my life I have seen several very bad car wrecks and even helped extricate some severely injured people from their vehicles a couple of times before the EMT people arrived at the scene.

But not once have I ever witnessed a doctor showing up at the scene to attend to the people.

Have You??

As for women not being allowed to drive in Saudi Arabia.

It's their country and their laws.

So I could eally care less. .. :cool:

Why do you think that Paramedics and Firemen are at the scene of an accident real fast to transport people to the nearest hospital. It probably gets the victims to the hospital sooner than a doctor would. I guess you have no problem, as an American, with a woman being arrested for driving her father to the doctor. I just hope that when you become ill, there is someone to drive you to the doctor no matter the gender of that person.

Forum List

Back