Saudi Arabian woman is kicked out of mall for not wearing gloves

She should have known better.........the Muttawah (religious police) did the right thing. ..... :cool:

The men in Saudi Arabia are hypocrites who hide behind their Religion, they should dress the same as the women they so easily put down

Apparently, this woman was being immodest by showing her bare hands. So, this man kicked her out of the Saudi Arabian mall. You'll noticed the man in casual dress in the background freely window shopping.

I understand that young adults of BOTH genders aren't allowed to go to shopping malls alone, they have to be with family.

I'm guessing that's a false understanding.

Apparently, this woman was being immodest by showing her bare hands. So, this man kicked her out of the Saudi Arabian mall. You'll noticed the man in casual dress in the background freely window shopping.

I understand that young adults of BOTH genders aren't allowed to go to shopping malls alone, they have to be with family.

I'm guessing that's a false understanding.

It was some reality show about teens in Saudi Arabia....some boys were trying to get around the religious police in order to hang out at the mall.

She must have really hot hands.

Why can't an american woman walk around outside a mall topless but a man can? Why would the police arrest her?

That's a good question. I'm for women being allowed to walk around topless anywhere that a man is allowed to do it.

To bring the point back into scope, I think it's a silly comparison though.

Not at all --- that's another cultural standard. It isn't something set by any religion.
Same thing.

How did you become so damn stupid? You sit there for how many posts droning about religion not making for culture. It's such a counter intuitive argument frankly. But since you insist on being schooled:

Custom - the customary beliefs, social forms, and material traits of a racial, religious, or social group; also : the characteristic features of everyday existence (as diversions or a way of life) shared by people in a place or time <popular culture> <southern culture>

Culture Definition of culture by Merriam-Webster

You just defined the wrong word there, Sherlock.

Culture -- not "custom".

:rofl:

Anyway the anus onus is still on you to demonstrate where the Qur'an mandates women cover their hands -- in a mall or anywhere else. Which you can't do because it doesn't exist.

Last edited:

Why can't an american woman walk around outside a mall topless but a man can? Why would the police arrest her?

That's a good question. I'm for women being allowed to walk around topless anywhere that a man is allowed to do it.

Not at all --- that's another cultural standard. It isn't something set by any religion.
Same thing.

How did you become so damn stupid? You sit there for how many posts droning about religion not making for culture. It's such a counter intuitive argument frankly. But since you insist on being schooled:

Custom - the customary beliefs, social forms, and material traits of a racial, religious, or social group; also : the characteristic features of everyday existence (as diversions or a way of life) shared by people in a place or time <popular culture> <southern culture>

Culture -- not "custom".

Clearly, I as looking at the word custom when I typed that by mistake. I listed the definition for culture. But now that we've cleared up the wildly obvious, let us remember that you just got your ass handed to you for the umpteenth time. You were wrong; and that would make me_______?

Same thing.

Culture -- not "custom".

Anyway the anus onus is still on you to demonstrate where the Qur'an mandates women cover their hands -- in a mall or anywhere else. Which you can't do because it doesn't exist.

Clearly, I as looking at the word custom when I typed that by mistake. I listed the definition for culture. But now that we've cleared up the wildly obvious, let us remember that you just got your ass handed to you for the umpteenth time. You were wrong; and that would make me_______?

A jester in the French Court? :laugh2:

They sure showed her which gender has the power, din't they?
It wasn't about power ..........but about modesty and culture. ...... :cool:

What do hands have to do with modesty? Are men turned on by hands now too? Get a grip (pun intended).

Say what if a guy doesn't care about hands but is all turned on by latex? That could be the reason behind the gloves.... :eusa_think:

What do hands have to do with modesty? Are men turned on by hands now too? Get a grip (pun intended).

Same thing.

Yet it is enforced by religious police?

Say what if a guy doesn't care about hands but is all turned on by latex? That could be the reason behind the gloves.... :eusa_think:

Lol! Funny! :lol:

Seriously though, I cannot even imagine what it must be like to have to live over there being a woman. It sounds like a nightmarish existence to me. You can't leave the house unless you're dressed up like a darn ghost! Always get a kick out of seeing them at the beach . . . the guys are dressed in swim trunks, and the women in all kinds of robes and coverings. :rolleyes-41: It annoys the crap out of me.

Same thing.

Culture -- not "custom".

Well, I have to agree with him. It depends on how the Quran is interpreted and apparently many of them interpret it in a very extreme way. I think a lot of the culture stems from the religious beliefs. I mean, really, they kind of go hand in hand.

Same thing.

Are you asking me or Pogo? :biggrin:

Seriously though, I cannot even imagine what it must be like to have to live over there being a woman. It sounds like a nightmarish existence to me. You can't leave the house unless you're dressed up like a darn ghost! Always get a kick out of seeing them at the beach . . . the guys are dressed in swim trunks, and the women in all kinds of robes and coverings. :rolleyes-41: It annoys the crap out of me.

Well, the thing is -- the more you cover up on one, the more you bottle up in the other....

Here's the way we used to roll, not that long ago:

teensfriendswim.jpg

----- and here's our version of Religious Police, actually measuring how far above the knee.... :ack-1:

1920+Bathing-Suits.jpg

(from here)​

Same thing.

Culture -- not "custom".

Well, I have to agree with him. It depends on how the Quran is interpreted and apparently many of them interpret it in a very extreme way. I think a lot of the culture stems from the religious beliefs. I mean, really, they kind of go hand in hand.

Culture always predates religion. Religion has to adapt to the culture already extant, not the other way 'round.

That's the whole point I keep making about "honor killing" -- it was in practice in nomadic areas (some of which are today Islamic, some of which are not) many many centuries before any of our religions we know of today (and Islam specifically prohibits it), yet some wags will continue to conflate correlation with causation -- while completely ignoring exceptions (how's that Turkey search goin' Gas?)

These "religious police" are something the Saudi gummint (kingdom) has put in place as enforcers of theocracy, rather than of religion. I pointed out to the OP that he won't find anything like that in Turkey or Morocco or Iraq-- exceptions that disprove the fallacy.

Last edited:

Same thing.

Culture -- not "custom".

Culture always predates religion. Religion has to adapt to the culture already extant, not the other way 'round.

I think I disagree. I think culture centers around beliefs, and that would include religious beliefs. They believe certain things are "sins" and make laws against such things. This is a theocracy.

Well, the thing is -- the more you cover up on one, the more you bottle up in the other....

teensfriendswim.jpg

----- and here's our version of Religious Police, actually measuring how far above the knee.... :ack-1:

1920+Bathing-Suits.jpg

(from here)​

Okay, but that's pretty much meaningless to me because it was long before my time. I've always been a "free" woman, free to go where I want, free to dress as I choose, etc. Also, the fact that my parents were pretty much hands off, so I've always just kind of done what I wanted (except for when I was very small child). I cannot fathom what life must be like for women in some of those countries.

Same thing.

Are you asking me or Pogo? :biggrin:

It was meant for Pogo, but i think he answered already

teensfriendswim.jpg

1920+Bathing-Suits.jpg

(from here)​

Those don't even look like bathing suits to me in the second picture. They look like dresses! :lol: In fact, I probably have a couple shorter than that!

Forum List

Back