Satanists in OK seek to put monument at State House like 10 Commandments

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) — In their zeal to tout their faith in the public square, conservatives in Oklahoma may have unwittingly opened the door to a wide range of religious groups, including Satanists who are seeking to put their own statue next to a Ten Commandments monument outside the Statehouse.

the same thing is going on in Florida - where a nativity scene was allowed inside the Rotunda capital bld. using "private" money ... and now the Atheist are putting up a display of their own.

this is really about people committed to the Bible and insisting it be a part of Gov't forcing it on everyone else, they are the ones who make an issue out of their beliefs and government year in year out.

How is looking at a nativity scene forcing you to become a Christian?
Does looking at a menorah force you to become Jewish?
It doesn't.
Why can't Atheists' put up their displays in another month of the year, instead of Christmas?
Our Government is about freedom for all, not exclusion for all.

The issue has nothing to do with ‘forcing’ someone to become Christian:

The Constitution mandates that the government remain secular, rather than affiliating itself with religious beliefs or institutions, precisely in order to avoid discriminating against citizens on the basis of their religious faiths. Thus, the claim that prohibiting government from celebrating Christmas as a religious holiday discriminates against Christians [p575] in favor of nonadherents must fail, since it contradicts the fundamental premise of the Establishment Clause itself. In contrast, confining the government's own Christmas celebration to the holiday's secular aspects does not favor the religious beliefs of non-Christians over those of Christians, but simply permits the government to acknowledge the holiday without expressing an impermissible allegiance to Christian beliefs.

County of Allegheny v. American Civil Liberties Union, Greater Pittsburgh Chapter

And when the courts invalidate a measure or act by the state that violates the Establishment Clause, it does not constitute ‘disallowing’ Christians practicing their faith, as there is nothing in Christian doctrine or dogma commanding Christians to place a creche depicting the Christian nativity scene on public government property.

Has anybody actually read the ten commands lately? 5 or 6 of them are patently unconstitutional.

There isn't a single one of the commandments that is unconstitutional. Anyone can obey them without having one iota of effect on the Constitution.

Has anybody actually read the ten commands lately? 5 or 6 of them are patently unconstitutional.

There isn't a single one of the commandments that is unconstitutional. Anyone can obey them without having one iota of effect on the Constitution.

Really? Several people here have claimed the 10 commands are what are laws are based.

My question is, which ones are those?

So..our government can pass laws making Commandments I and II manditory?

So..our government can pass laws making Commandments I and II manditory?

Article 1, Section 8 doesn't seem to have a whole lot to say about Congress's ability to regulate coveting or adultery, although I'm sure the courts will just say that's somehow tied to the Commerce Clause.

Really? Several people here have claimed the 10 commands are what are laws are based.

Are you drunk?

Or are you just about as stupid as Shortbus?

Our system of jurisprudence is based on a foundation that includes Levitical law. The Hebrew concepts of law and judges heavily influence our system of justice, as does Roman and Greek justice.

Are you drunk?

Or are you just about as stupid as Shortbus?

Our system of jurisprudence is based on a foundation that includes Levitical law. The Hebrew concepts of law and judges heavily influence our system of justice, as does Roman and Greek justice.

Bullshit. Have you read all 642 hebrew laws?

The 10 Commandments being installed in front of a public building (especially when put in just a few years ago) is clearly more of a nod towards Christianity than a nod towards the "history of law". I think this is a fair point; let's not play games here and call things like they are.

The great majority of the laws in the 10 Commandments (I'd say a solid 7 out of 10) apply directly to the Christian religion only (ie keep holy the Sabbath, don't use the Lord's name in vain, only one God, etc).

You know Moses was Jewish, right?

Christianity/Judaism.... whatever. Quit being nitpicky and lets address the core arguments here.

One more example of being educated in American school :lol:

Forum List

Back