Sarkozy Says Every French Child Will Learn About the Holocaust

Did you ever pay attention to the absolute blackout of the last video of isreali settlers whupping the shit out of pals by the jpost? Apparently, Sarkozy's lesson plan has some rather significant Astrix's in the footnotes.

@Diuretic: In my opinion, Germans need reminders, too. I just say the way these reminders are given is not the best.

If there's a guilt trip involved Stefan then that will eventually work against itself. In my country (Australia) we recently formally acknowledged our treatment of indigenous people during the early colonisation and the aftermath. But if our government kept us on a guilt trip we would eventually tell them to stuff it.

WTF is the holocaust and why should any frenchie kid know about it? It's 2008, not 1940 something. Don't we all know Islam is on the rise and Judaism has taken the road of Latin and such?

While they're at it, they should teach them who those white crosses nears the beach belong to.

And I would assume that the French are still aware of that. If their continuing regard for the sacrifice of the allies on the Western Front in WWI is any indicator then that awareness is very strong.

No doubt. The graveyards are quite well kept.

I am liking Sarkozy more and more.

Of course, he's devoting himself and to jews. He's not planning on making it an issue genocide in general. Screw all the other genocides. Just pay attention to the jewish one. Do you have any idea how this backfires ?????

Beginning this Fall, each French child will learn about the life of one of the 11,000 French Jewish children murdered in the Holocaust. Some are complaining about the plan, saying it will traumatize children. Given the rising level of anti semitism in Europe (well documented in France: Anti-Semitism at ground level in France - International Herald Tribune or Wave of anti-Semitism called threat to France - International Herald Tribune and France doomed to anti-Semitism: archbishop, Sarko's plan is a good idea.

Good for him, Anti Jewish BS has been making a comeback all over Europe, I am glad to see him doing something about it.

@Diuretic: This "guilt trip", as you call it, is just what I mean. That's the problem. Plus, there are serious restrictions on freedom of speach concerning the matter, and the political-correctness-watchers are always there to bring you down if you say anything they don't like.

As in it's against the criminal law in Germany to be a holocaust denier?

I always think that the criminal law is blunt instrument when dealing with holocaust deniers. Ridicule works for me. But obviously there's a reason for the law's existence.

Of course there is merit to helping children understand what Jewish children went through as a result of the holocaust. Who can deny that?

However..

There would be tremendous merit to helping children understand what non-Jewish children went through (and were told at the time about it) as those children witnessed the holocaust from the other side of the wire.

Here's why I say this..

If the point of teaching children about the holocaust is to help them prevent another one (and I hope that is its point), then they REALLY need to know how the passive citizen witnessing this horrible crime was talked into standing by and doing nothing while they saw their neighbors being carted off to the camps!

You see, if anyone becomes a victim of this sort of crime, they really don't need lessons in how to object to it. Nobody really needs lessons is why they won't like being starved and beaten and made slaves and gassed to death.

The lesson children have to learn is really how to stand up prejudice and injstice that isn't effecting them, but that they are a part of even if only passively.

In other words, we need to teach children how to RECOGNIZE NAD STAND UP TO INJUSTICE when they are NOT its intended target, and the people in charge are telling them that this is okay.

And let me tell you something folks...it isn't just the French children who need those lessons.

A casual perusal of this board indicates to me that many people here have difficulty indentifying injustice if it's not happening to them or theirs.

The rush to blame the victim is just as evident in the posts on this board as it was among the German people in 1940, believe me.

Last edited:
Maybe Sarkozy wants to make the point that some French people were only too happy to hand over their Jewish neighbours to the authorities? And yet for all of that the Maquis, ordinary people enjoined in resistance against the Nazis, protected, among others, Jews.

It's not a clear cut issue of course. That's why it needs careful analysis and if children are being taught the issues they need to have those issues taught so that they understand what really happened and not just a postcard view of history.

Forum List

Back