San Diego Loyal forfeit match after alleged homophobic comment

Wow, this thread should have been started in the Breaking News forum.
That is just Earth shattering.

Hey, The fall Salmon season is winding down in the northwest, did anyone get out?
Its about a group of athletes standing in unity against bigotry. Football players are usually too scared to come out because the reaction would kill their careers.
Officially there cant be more than 2 or 3 "out" players in the world but that figure is obviously an under reprsentation.
You really should be proud of Donovan. I cant think of a European equivalent.
There was nothing for them to lose. They will not go hungry. They will have a roof over their head. And they emoted with drama. And whatever viewers they had lost out. Meanwhile in our competitor nations, they are building their militaries and economic forces while not destroying any good traditional ways of living.

Landon Donovan said his San Diego Loyal "would not stand" for bigotry having left the pitch in protest after an alleged homophobic comment was aimed at midfielder Collin Martin, who is gay.

An opposition player from Phoenix Rising was accused of making the comment just before half-time in their second-tier USL Championship game.

Loyal players returned after the break but walked off when the referee blew his whistle, forfeiting a match they were leading 3-1 and ending their chances of reaching the play-offs.

Wow. This is such an encouraging story. They were winning the game and on their way to the play offs. But they walked off on a point of principle. Donovan never quite convinced me as a player but he has gone up, in my estimation, as a man.

I've never cared for sports.

But I thought the point of a game such as soccer was for one team to prove that it's better than the other at playing soccer.

It seems, in this case, the point of the game was to prove which team is more politically-correct. The team that, up to that point, seemed to be better at playing soccer, ended up losing because it was less politically-correct than the other team.

Forum List

Back