Ryan-Murray Deal Hits Military Retirees

Yep the new budget deal screws the military again, but no mention of other federal retirees.

"Retirees younger than 62, and future retirees including currently serving members, would see yearly COLAs in retirement cut by one-percentage point below inflation until age 62. At that point they would receive a one-time catch up in their annuity to restore lost purchasing power going forward into old age."

Ryan-Murray Deal Hits Younger, Future Retirees | Military.com

So much for the promises made to the people who put their lives on the line for us every day.

They've been cutting my bennies to the quick since I've been retired.

Everyone is going to get screwed.......they just try to spread the suck out over a longer period.

If they'd do their fucken jobs for once we wouldn't be going through this.

Obama spends so much on his Magic Santa programs that everyone that served gets the shaft and will be the first group that gets shafted in future agreements. Right now Obama has John Podesta from The Center For American Progress figuring out ways for the POTUS to use his power to go around Congress and force his will on us. John Podesta - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm fine with cutting military benefits like that. But let's do it across the board to all government workers.

I might go with the cuts if they were applied equally across the board for all federal retirees, including former congress critters.

I agree and have so stated more than once. The increased rate of military spending can be cut, but should be done when all other program spending is slowed down.

Rather than cutting retirement however, I would rather a few bases be closed overseas combined with pulling troops out of areas where we are accomplishing little!

Welcome to the "Didn't get what the government said you'd get for taking this job" club.

Teachers caught it. Then firemen. Then cops. Now...sadly, the military will.

Meanwhile, politicians keep all their shit.

But, Paul Ryan agreeing to screw military members? SHOCKING (not).

So what cuts are the welfare takers taking?

The Military retirees spent 20+ years of their lives in service to the Country.. Many come out with life long injuries.

The military are the only Federal Employees that pay their own disability payments out of their retirement. For every dollar in Disability, they lose a dollar out of their retirement.

The "Benefit" is that the disability check is not taxed.

Some really "great" benefit.

Edited for TMI about someone else....

http://www.military.com/benefits/mi...irement-and-disability-pay-crdp-overview.html

Yep the new budget deal screws the military again, but no mention of other federal retirees.

"Retirees younger than 62, and future retirees including currently serving members, would see yearly COLAs in retirement cut by one-percentage point below inflation until age 62. At that point they would receive a one-time catch up in their annuity to restore lost purchasing power going forward into old age."

So much for the promises made to the people who put their lives on the line for us every day.

Not seeing a problem here. These retirees are more than capable of holding down jobs, and thre's usually a preference for hiring them.

You guys are the ones who insist up and down that we are sooooo broke and that we can't possibly raise taxes on the 1% who control half the wealth in this country, so cuts have to come from somewhere, and there's only so much food you can snatch from the mouths of hungry children.

then you won't have a problem with all union retirees receiving the same deal? After all, they are still capable of working after retirement.

i am not affected by this proposed change...but my son is...but he gets his retirement check, his GS 14 check, and his 60% disability check each month...i think he would agree that he can afford an eventual $50 per month reduction in his milretpay...altho i do agree all retirees should be treated equally...reduce one reduce all.

I'm fine with cutting military benefits like that. But let's do it across the board to all government workers.

I might go with the cuts if they were applied equally across the board for all federal retirees, including former congress critters.

I agree and have so stated more than once. The increased rate of military spending can be cut, but should be done when all other program spending is slowed down.

Rather than cutting retirement however, I would rather a few bases be closed overseas combined with pulling troops out of areas where we are accomplishing little!

Just so, there are plenty of bases that could be closed or consolodated. I think across the board cuts in every agency budget would also be in order. Let's start with an easy 5%. That would include congressional offices, federal agencies, and all entitlements programs.

Same old TeaTard.......I want others to take the cuts but don't touch anything that is mine

This is what the Tea Party demanded. Strict spending cuts

You got what you asked for

Republicans need to form a new PAC; Hypocrisy in Action would make a good name.

The right demanded austerity and whine when they get it

The right demanded austerity and whine when they get it

Spending goes up under this plan. There is no austerity.
What a maroon.

Really?

What did they spend on?

Yeah honest. Go read a news article. The "cuts" are scheduled to take effect 10 years from now. When there will be a completely different Congress. The rises will occur immediately.
It would help your credibility if you knew something about the topic before posting.

Spending goes up under this plan. There is no austerity.
What a maroon.

Really?

What did they spend on?

Yeah honest. Go read a news article. The "cuts" are scheduled to take effect 10 years from now. When there will be a completely different Congress. The rises will occur immediately.
It would help your credibility if you knew something about the topic before posting.

Do tell...

Why don't you enlighten us?

Not seeing a problem here. These retirees are more than capable of holding down jobs, and thre's usually a preference for hiring them.

You guys are the ones who insist up and down that we are sooooo broke and that we can't possibly raise taxes on the 1% who control half the wealth in this country, so cuts have to come from somewhere, and there's only so much food you can snatch from the mouths of hungry children.

I don't see this as a problem if it is kept under 62....yes most of us have other careers now and the retirement check is just extra....not for everyone, I understand. We all have to take a cut to help the budget, don't we?

Indeed the military already gets paid considerably less than the average government worker. But the government worker is unionized and a guaranteed vote for Obama. On the other hand, the military is 70% conservative. Democrats aren't loosing any support by sticking it to the military and they know it.

You might be right but this article doesn't quite go 70%. Officers are more conservatives for sure.

Does the Military Vote Really Lean Republican? | TIME.com

I don't see this as a problem if it is kept under 62....yes most of us have other careers now and the retirement check is just extra....not for everyone, I understand. We all have to take a cut to help the budget, don't we?

Once again, thinking only of vourself.

Not everyone is in your exact same situation.

Not everyone has your education or your health. Some need that retirement to keep their homes or make ends meet.

I expected to get shafted nomatter what. We can't touch protected groups, but those that served can take the constant reeming they've been getting.

It's really sad. All of this could have been avoided, but spending got us here and somebody needs to be left out in the cold to pay for it. Let the folks that support tax-cuts suffer.

Really?

What did they spend on?

Do tell...

Because it's not my fucking job to prevent you from sounding like an idiot because you dont have the slightest clue what you're posting about.

Do tell...

Because it's not my fucking job to prevent you from sounding like an idiot because you dont have the slightest clue what you're posting about.

Shooting blanks as usual I see......

Not everyone has your education or your health. Some need that retirement to keep their homes or make ends meet.

I expected to get shafted nomatter what. We can't touch protected groups, but those that served can take the constant reeming they've been getting.

It's really sad. All of this could have been avoided, but spending got us here and somebody needs to be left out in the cold to pay for it. Let the folks that support tax-cuts suffer.

They aren't losing anything...they just aren't gaining more. You won't see your retirement " cut", you just won't get COLA increases as generous as you'd like.

They aren't losing anything...they just aren't gaining more. You won't see your retirement " cut", you just won't get COLA increases as generous as you'd like.

With inflation that is a de facto cut.
Fail.

Forum List

Back