Ryan-Murray Deal Hits Military Retirees

Once again, thinking only of vourself.

Not everyone is in your exact same situation.

Not everyone has your education or your health. Some need that retirement to keep their homes or make ends meet.

I expected to get shafted nomatter what. We can't touch protected groups, but those that served can take the constant reeming they've been getting.

It's really sad. All of this could have been avoided, but spending got us here and somebody needs to be left out in the cold to pay for it. Let the folks that support tax-cuts suffer.

They aren't losing anything...they just aren't gaining more. You won't see your retirement " cut", you just won't get COLA increases as generous as you'd like.

With inflation that is a de facto cut.
Fail.

Like the 45 year decrease in the minimum wage? That sort of de facto?

Real-Value-Minimum-Wage-NELP.jpg

Yep the new budget deal screws the military again, but no mention of other federal retirees.

"Retirees younger than 62, and future retirees including currently serving members, would see yearly COLAs in retirement cut by one-percentage point below inflation until age 62. At that point they would receive a one-time catch up in their annuity to restore lost purchasing power going forward into old age."

Ryan-Murray Deal Hits Younger, Future Retirees | Military.com

So much for the promises made to the people who put their lives on the line for us every day.

Kind of like those Detroit pensioners?

Not everyone has your education or your health. Some need that retirement to keep their homes or make ends meet.

I expected to get shafted nomatter what. We can't touch protected groups, but those that served can take the constant reeming they've been getting.

It's really sad. All of this could have been avoided, but spending got us here and somebody needs to be left out in the cold to pay for it. Let the folks that support tax-cuts suffer.

They aren't losing anything...they just aren't gaining more. You won't see your retirement " cut", you just won't get COLA increases as generous as you'd like.

With inflation that is a de facto cut.
Fail.

Then the middle class has had nothing but pay cuts since the 80s.

Not seeing a problem here. These retirees are more than capable of holding down jobs, and thre's usually a preference for hiring them.

You guys are the ones who insist up and down that we are sooooo broke and that we can't possibly raise taxes on the 1% who control half the wealth in this country, so cuts have to come from somewhere, and there's only so much food you can snatch from the mouths of hungry children.

I don't see this as a problem if it is kept under 62....yes most of us have other careers now and the retirement check is just extra....not for everyone, I understand. We all have to take a cut to help the budget, don't we?

I know many are not in my situation, but we all have to take some hit to help with the budget....don't we?

Asshole.

More and More I am not voting for anyone who isn't Tea Party.

Gonna be a lot of blanks on my ballot next year.

What would the Tea Party do for military and veterans? They welcomed the sequester and said it wasn't enough. The cut till it hurts and then cut some more attitude hasn't been very kind to veterans.

Asshole.

More and More I am not voting for anyone who isn't Tea Party.

Gonna be a lot of blanks on my ballot next year.

What would the Tea Party do for military and veterans? They welcomed the sequester and said it wasn't enough. The cut till it hurts and then cut some more attitude hasn't been very kind to veterans.

He's talking about the fake tea party that is really just the old right wing of the GOP same as it ever was.

I don't see this as a problem if it is kept under 62....yes most of us have other careers now and the retirement check is just extra....not for everyone, I understand. We all have to take a cut to help the budget, don't we?

I know many are not in my situation, but we all have to take some hit to help with the budget....don't we?

I doubt anyone has a problem understanding cuts must be made, but I'll wait to see many others will be taking hits to help with the budget.

Any bets that this was the Democrat's idea and Ryan "compromised" with it?

Murray isn't the strongest supporter of the Military.

Sorry, Republicans only care about the needy rich. Coburn has made a career out of trying to screw over the Military and McCain said if you give them too many benefits, they won't stay.

You can't complain that Democrats want to give away everything and then complain Democrats want to keep people from "getting stuff". That's called "both ways".

Once again I am going to ask..

What cuts are there to those who suckle at the Government teat, having never done anything else?

Why are they expanding Unemployment while shafting the Military Retirees?

How about Cutting SNAP? Oh yeah.. the left cried about an $8 / month cut to Snap.. Gonna starve people.

Yep the new budget deal screws the military again, but no mention of other federal retirees.

"Retirees younger than 62, and future retirees including currently serving members, would see yearly COLAs in retirement cut by one-percentage point below inflation until age 62. At that point they would receive a one-time catch up in their annuity to restore lost purchasing power going forward into old age."

So much for the promises made to the people who put their lives on the line for us every day.

A lot of promises that were made to me when I enlisted have been broken. They first came after us retirees on our prescription drug cost share. That was quite a rate hike in my situation.

Then they recently disenrolled every retired veteran in my state from Tricare Prime and put us all on Tricare Standard. This is also a big cost hike.

Now they are going after the pension. I guess I should not be surprised.

But as I have said every time this comes up, I would be okay with all of this if I thought every American was taking an equal bite of the $16 trillion shit sandwich we have all built together.

But I am fairly convinced that is not happening. The American motto remains, "Gimme, gimme, gimme, and make that guy over there pay for it."

And I mean EVERY American. We are all on the government tit in one way, shape, or fashion.

Last edited:

A lot of promises that were made to me when I enlisted have been broken. They first came after us retirees on our prescription drug cost share. That was quite a rate hike in my situation.

Then they recently disenrolled every retired veteran in my state from Tricare Prime and put us all on Tricare Standard. This is also a big cost hike.

But as I have said every time this comes up, I would be okay with all of this if I thought every American was taking an equal bite of the $16 trillion shit sandwich we have all built together.

But I am fairly convinced that is not happening. The American motto remains, "Gimme, gimme, gimme, and make that guy over there pay for it."

And I mean EVERY American. We are all on the government tit in one way, shape, or fashion.

I don't know if you talked to Tricare but I thought my area was also removed from Prime when in reality the just had done a realignment. I got tons of mail saying Tricare Prime was going away and soliciting enrollment in other programs. We had to change our primary care doc but we still have Prime.

We didn't build that together. Republicans used reconciliation twice to pass the deficit creating Bush Tax Cuts for the rich. Add in the cost of the two unfunded wars. The medical costs of the tens of thousands maimed in Iraq. The trillions spent on Iraq. That all came from Republicans.

I don't know if you talked to Tricare but I thought my area was also removed from Prime when in reality the just had done a realignment. I got tons of mail saying Tricare Prime was going away and soliciting enrollment in other programs. We had to change our primary care doc but we still have Prime.

I will have to look into that. I got tons of mail for months warning me my Tricare Prime was going away on October 1. All the other retirees I know in this area got the same mail.

I let my VFW membership lapse. Maybe I should visit the Post and ask around. I will definitely call Tricare, though.

Last edited:
Any bets that this was the Democrat's idea and Ryan "compromised" with it?

Murray isn't the strongest supporter of the Military.

Sorry, Republicans only care about the needy rich. Coburn has made a career out of trying to screw over the Military and McCain said if you give them too many benefits, they won't stay.

You can't complain that Democrats want to give away everything and then complain Democrats want to keep people from "getting stuff". That's called "both ways".

More far left propaganda!

Through Obamacare Tricare will be phased out and those in the military will have to join exchanges. Many personal were grand fathered n based on time served, while others will be forced into Obamacare.

Through Obamacare Tricare will be phased out and those in the military will have to join exchanges. Many personal were grand fathered n based on time served, while others will be forced into Obamacare.

You got a link for any of that? I'd like to read more.

You got a link for any of that? I'd like to read more.

You won't get one because he's full of shit.

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2013/10/14/dod-tricare-beneficiaries-unaffected-by-obamacare.html

Forum List

Back