Russian police arrest boy for reciting Shakespeare

A 10 year-old boy (Grade 5 in USA) was arrested by a squad of police for reciting Hamlet in a street in Moscau. Video shot on a mobile phone has gone viral showing the distressed by screaming "Help me Help me!".

This is what comes from operating a police state. It is a reminder why the European Union is wary of Putin's designs on wrecking the liberal democracies.

Wow! Just wow. I don't know what to say about that. For all that might be amiss with Russian society, government, its leaders, politics, etc., I am quite surprised, incredulous even, that the "powers that be" there take exception with a child's recitation of any of The Bard's works, let alone Hamlet.

Was the boy truly arrested because Hamlet was the content he was reciting or was it for some other reason, perhaps, for example, because he was speaking in a place where nobody is permitted to stand and speak?

I suspect in D.C. were one to deliver Shakespeare from the plaza of the Forrestal building one would be ushered off the site, though I doubt one would be arrested unless one refused to leave and did so with some notable degree of force/resistance. Similarly, one isn't permitted to just "hang out" on the sidewalk in front of embassies; thus reciting Shakespeare in such places could conceivably get one arrested, though probably not if one is a minor of the age the boy in the video is. [1]

Note:
  1. There are a handful of embassies and foreign representatives' residences in my neighborhood (many are in the neighborhood north of me), but I've not fully tested my thoughts about what it'd take to get arrested by for too long standing in front of one of them. I'm not going to either. LOL Some score-plus years ago, the small group of four that I was in attracted the Secret Service's attention as we paused in front of an ambassadorial residence to read a map for house tour. The agent left his booth to ask if we needed help, we told him what we were doing, and he pointed us in the direction he'd seen other groups head. We moved along and that was that, and it was enough to get the point across.
OT:
Interesting. I had no idea the iambic pentameter would be apparent when Hamlet is recited in Russian. Indeed, it's actually a little bit easier to discern in Russian than I recall it being in English when I first read Hamlet.

The video makes clear that others next to the boy were busking, dancing, and such and they were not bothered by the police.

A 10 year-old boy (Grade 5 in USA) was arrested by a squad of police for reciting Hamlet in a street in Moscau. Video shot on a mobile phone has gone viral showing the distressed by screaming "Help me Help me!".

This is what comes from operating a police state. It is a reminder why the European Union is wary of Putin's designs on wrecking the liberal democracies.

Wow! Just wow. I don't know what to say about that. For all that might be amiss with Russian society, government, its leaders, politics, etc., I am quite surprised, incredulous even, that the "powers that be" there take exception with a child's recitation of any of The Bard's works, let alone Hamlet.

Was the boy truly arrested because Hamlet was the content he was reciting or was it for some other reason, perhaps, for example, because he was speaking in a place where nobody is permitted to stand and speak?

I suspect in D.C. were one to deliver Shakespeare from the plaza of the Forrestal building one would be ushered off the site, though I doubt one would be arrested unless one refused to leave and did so with some notable degree of force/resistance. Similarly, one isn't permitted to just "hang out" on the sidewalk in front of embassies; thus reciting Shakespeare in such places could conceivably get one arrested, though probably not if one is a minor of the age the boy in the video is. [1]

Note:
  1. There are a handful of embassies and foreign representatives' residences in my neighborhood (many are in the neighborhood north of me), but I've not fully tested my thoughts about what it'd take to get arrested by for too long standing in front of one of them. I'm not going to either. LOL Some score-plus years ago, the small group of four that I was in attracted the Secret Service's attention as we paused in front of an ambassadorial residence to read a map for house tour. The agent left his booth to ask if we needed help, we told him what we were doing, and he pointed us in the direction he'd seen other groups head. We moved along and that was that, and it was enough to get the point across.
OT:
Interesting. I had no idea the iambic pentameter would be apparent when Hamlet is recited in Russian. Indeed, it's actually a little bit easier to discern in Russian than I recall it being in English when I first read Hamlet.

The video makes clear that others next to the boy were busking, dancing, and such and they were not bothered by the police.

-------------------------------------- I didn't watch the video full of beggars . Just going by your words Eloy !!

Note:
OT:

I didn't see minstrels, musicians, or dancers on May 26th when the boy was taken into custody. What I saw was passersby looking at the boy and the cops. Would you kindly share with me the time stamp for when in the video you see people dancing next to the boy, please?

What I did see in the video is that the date and location (May 7th on Arbat St.) where the boy was reciting Hamlet and those applicable to where and when he was apprehended (May 26th on Vozdvizhenka St.) are not the same days or places. Did you notice that? Hell, it's not even clear to me why the events of May 7th are depicted.

Note:
OT:

I didn't see minstrels, musicians, or dancers on May 26th when the boy was taken into custody. What I saw was passersby looking at the boy and the cops. Would you kindly share with me the time stamp for when in the video you see people dancing next to the boy, please?

What I did see in the video is that the date and location (May 7th on Arbat St.) where the boy was reciting Hamlet and those applicable to where and when he was apprehended (May 26th on Vozdvizhenka St.) are not the same days or places. Did you notice that? Hell, it's not even clear to me why the events of May 7th are depicted.

The reason the May 7th recitation was included in the video was so that viewers could see what the child had been doing. Had you seen only the May 26th abduction of the boy by the Russian police, some members of USMessageBoard might have tried to claim that the boy was pickpocketing or something.
Secondly, although you did not see nearby buskers and street performers, the text says they were there. Bear in mind that the video is a compilation of two different days clearly marked and made by an amateur, the boy's neighbor. The report I read in THE TIMES also states that the area is used by breakdancers and buskers who were not molested by the cops.

Note:
OT:

The reason the May 7th recitation was included in the video was so that viewers could see what the child had been doing. Had you seen only the May 26th abduction of the boy by the Russian police, some members of USMessageBoard might have tried to claim that the boy was pickpocketing or something.

Secondly, although you did not see nearby buskers and street performers, the text says they were there. Bear in mind that the video is a compilation of two different days clearly marked and made by an amateur, the boy's neighbor. The report I read in THE TIMES also states that the area is used by breakdancers and buskers who were not molested by the cops.

Okay. Can you share the link to or copy-past the full story from The Times?

I am, without a doubt, a critical reader, observer and thinker (see also: CRITICAL ANALYSIS), but I'm also not the sort to arbitrarily conjure stuff to make a situation fit my paradigm.

Note:
OT:

I am, without a doubt, a critical reader, observer and thinker (see also: CRITICAL ANALYSIS), but I'm also not the sort to arbitrarily conjure stuff to make a situation fit my paradigm.

I'm sorry; do not have the ability to upload a photo of my newspaper. I gave the publication day (Monday) and the page number (31). They do have a paywall, however. Other sources are available:
Boy Arrested in Moscow for Reciting Shakespeare Because it Cuts Too Close to Russian Political Reality?

Controversy in Russia after a 10-year-old is arrested for reciting poetry in the street – PlayGround+

Moskau_zpswz0vrp3r.png

It was Not To Be for young Oscar Mironov who is hauled to a waiting squad car

Note:
OT:

I'm sorry; do not have the ability to upload a photo of my newspaper. I gave the publication day (Monday) and the page number (31). They do have a paywall, however. Other sources are available:
Boy Arrested in Moscow for Reciting Shakespeare Because it Cuts Too Close to Russian Political Reality?

Controversy in Russia after a 10-year-old is arrested for reciting poetry in the street – PlayGround+

Moskau_zpswz0vrp3r.png

How can that female cop do her job in a skirt and high heels?

SHE is a tiny thing , not much bigger than the innocent 'busker' kid !!

Moskau_zpswz0vrp3r.png

How can that female cop do her job in a skirt and high heels?
I'm guessing she is a clerk from the children's department and acts as a decoration when the men get to manhandle small kids.

not really much of a decoration . I mean cute , little , long blonde hair but not really a big deal Eloy !!

"This above all, to thine own self be true." - William Shakespeare -

"When a ten year old boy is a threat to the state, that state is a threat to the people". - J Lippay -

kid seems to have been a busker or beggar , probably taken into custody to protect him Issac !! [who knows]

Note:
OT:

Moskau_zpswz0vrp3r.png

I read the content at the two free links you provided. Neither has anything in it that accounts for the incongruities I noted in my earlier post. Also, neither corroborates you claim of people busking, dancing and so on right next to the boy. I also quickly searched the New York Times, which I presume is "The Times" you had in mind, and I can't find the story there. Perhaps if you shared the explicit headline you read in your hard copy version and the byline attribution for the story I would have less trouble finding it.

Moskau_zpswz0vrp3r.png

I read the content at the two free links you provided. Neither has anything in it that accounts for the incongruities I noted in my earlier post. Also, neither corroborates you claim of people busking, dancing and so on right next to the boy. I also quickly searched the New York Times, which I presume is "The Times" you had in mind, and I can't find the story there. Perhaps if you shared the explicit headline you read in your hard copy version and the byline attribution for the story I would have less trouble finding it.
Xelor, I was referring to THE TIMES and not The New York Times. Here is the article online and you can register for free allowing access to two articles without charge per month.
Boy seized by Moscow police for reciting Hamlet
"Police claimed that the boy was begging. Mr Skavronsky [Oscae's father] denied that, saying that his son had a bag like a busker's, which people could throw coins into if the chose." (page 31)

Perhaps the following explains the incongruities you find:
"In Moscow, not far from Arbat street (popular with tourists and a favorite place for street artists and musicians), the police detained a 10-year-old boy who was reciting Shakespeare's Hamlet to passers-by. He had placed a bag in front of him as street performers usually do. A patrol noticed the child and decided to take him to the police station, but the boy tried to break free, screaming hysterically: "Help! Help!" He was then forced into a squad car.
"... According to Skavronsky, the boy was not begging (begging is illegal and an administrative offense in Russia – RBTH). "He attends drama classes. Reciting in the street helps him overcome his insecurities. It is not the first time that he has gone out and recited something. The police never approached him in such a brutal manner before. They would approach him, pat him on the head and say: 'Ok, you can stay here for a while and then go home.' That was always the case. This is the first such outrageous incident," the boy's father said in an interview with the Govorit Moskva radio station."
To detain or not to detain: Why a youth was arrested for reciting poetry

Moskau_zpswz0vrp3r.png

Xelor, I was referring to THE TIMES and not The New York Times. Here is the article online and you can register for free allowing access to two articles without charge per month.
"Police claimed that the boy was begging. Mr Skavronsky [Oscae's father] denied that, saying that his son had a bag like a busker's, which people could throw coins into if the chose." (page 31)

"In Moscow, not far from Arbat street (popular with tourists and a favorite place for street artists and musicians), the police detained a 10-year-old boy who was reciting Shakespeare's Hamlet to passers-by. He had placed a bag in front of him as street performers usually do. A patrol noticed the child and decided to take him to the police station, but the boy tried to break free, screaming hysterically: "Help! Help!" He was then forced into a squad car.
"... According to Skavronsky, the boy was not begging (begging is illegal and an administrative offense in Russia – RBTH). "He attends drama classes. Reciting in the street helps him overcome his insecurities. It is not the first time that he has gone out and recited something. The police never approached him in such a brutal manner before. They would approach him, pat him on the head and say: 'Ok, you can stay here for a while and then go home.' That was always the case. This is the first such outrageous incident," the boy's father said in an interview with the Govorit Moskva radio station."

Having read your update, I still don't see where the "street dancers next to him" came from, but more is clear now than it was before. I haven't yet checked The Times article. Perhaps there I'll find the attestation of there being dancers and such right there where the boy was?

It is not the first time that he has gone out and recited something. The police never approached him in such a brutal manner before. They would approach him, pat him on the head and say: 'Ok, you can stay here for a while and then go home.' That was always the case.

That's about the behavior I'd have expected cops to display for the situation at hand. While I think Putin a baleful character, I do not think city cops would be so toward a small child.

"Police claimed that the boy was begging. Mr Skavronsky [Oscae's father] denied that, saying that his son had a bag like a busker's, which people could throw coins into if the chose.".... He had placed a bag in front of him as street performers usually do....(begging is illegal and an administrative offense in Russia – RBTH)

Okay, the cops say the boy was a beggar; his farther says otherwise. That begging is illegal in Russia certainly explains why the cops may have seen fit to actively remove the boy from the premises.

FWIW, I consider street performers -- musicians, mimes, magicians, orators, etc. -- with a donation receptacle for receiving alms as entertainers far more so than as mendicants, who do nothing other than ask for donations. Though it's apparent from the father's statement that he considers busking different from begging, maybe to Moscow cops (in Muscovite/Russian law ?) no such distinction exists. I don't know.

Mind you, I'm merely trying to understand the details of the matter. I would prefer to side with the boy because, standing in a city square of sorts reciting The Bard strikes me as very fine thing for a young child to do; moreover and quite frankly, because he's a child, and by the looks of him in the video, he doesn't appear to be an urchin nor his father a clochard.

One does must wonder what was different on May 26th from what we saw on May 7th? The story as presented implies nothing differed, but we have no video showing that to be so; thus there's no way to reliably conclude there was or was not any material difference. What's certain in my mind is that if there be no material difference in the boy's activity on each occasion, one has to wonder why the cops weren't clearer on prior occasions that the child needed to cease and desist. It could well be that the cops precipitated the unfortunate events of May 26th by not being firmer on May 7th. That's often a problem with, out of kindheartedness, sentimentality or whatever, looking askance at something when really one should have been "a bitch about it" from the start.

Reciting in the street helps him overcome his insecurities.

Well, let's hope the boy finds a different place where he can continue his recitations.

OT:
If declamation truly helps one overcome the sorts of insecurity they boy suffers, I can think of at least one person whose ignoble elocution and rank insecurity militate for their declaiming The Bard's complete works.

Moskau_zpswz0vrp3r.png

Having read your update, I still don't see where the "street dancers next to him" came from, but more is clear now than it was before. I haven't yet checked The Times article. Perhaps there I'll find the attestation of there being dancers and such right there where the boy was?

It is not the first time that he has gone out and recited something. The police never approached him in such a brutal manner before. They would approach him, pat him on the head and say: 'Ok, you can stay here for a while and then go home.' That was always the case.

That's about the behavior I'd have expected cops to display for the situation at hand. While I think Putin a baleful character, I do not think city cops would be so toward a small child.

"Police claimed that the boy was begging. Mr Skavronsky [Oscae's father] denied that, saying that his son had a bag like a busker's, which people could throw coins into if the chose.".... He had placed a bag in front of him as street performers usually do....(begging is illegal and an administrative offense in Russia – RBTH)

Okay, the cops say the boy was a beggar; his farther says otherwise. That begging is illegal in Russia certainly explains why the cops may have seen fit to actively remove the boy from the premises.

FWIW, I consider street performers -- musicians, mimes, magicians, orators, etc. -- with a donation receptacle for receiving alms as entertainers far more so than as mendicants, who do nothing other than ask for donations. Though it's apparent from the father's statement that he considers busking different from begging, maybe to Moscow cops (in Muscovite/Russian law ?) no such distinction exists. I don't know.

Mind you, I'm merely trying to understand the details of the matter. I would prefer to side with the boy because, standing in a city square of sorts reciting The Bard strikes me as very fine thing for a young child to do; moreover and quite frankly, because he's a child, and by the looks of him in the video, he doesn't appear to be an urchin nor his father a clochard.

One does must wonder what was different on May 26th from what we saw on May 7th? The story as presented implies nothing differed, but we have no video showing that to be so; thus there's no way to reliably conclude there was or was not any material difference. What's certain in my mind is that if there be no material difference in the boy's activity on each occasion, one has to wonder why the cops weren't clearer on prior occasions that the child needed to cease and desist. It could well be that the cops precipitated the unfortunate events of May 26th by not being firmer on May 7th. That's often a problem with, out of kindheartedness, sentimentality or whatever, looking askance at something when really one should have been "a bitch about it" from the start.

Reciting in the street helps him overcome his insecurities.

Well, let's hope the boy finds a different place where he can continue his recitations.

OT:
If declamation truly helps one overcome the sorts of insecurity they boy suffers, I can think of at least one person whose ignoble elocution and rank insecurity militate for their declaiming The Bard's complete works.
That others were busking nearby, we know only from others saying so and not from any video. It appears the district is used by street entertainers to get spare change. Arbat street is "popular with tourists and a favorite place for street artists and musicians".

Forum List

Back