Rural grocery stores are dying. Here's how some small towns are trying to save them

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
About five years ago, Emerson, Neb., lost its grocery store. Residents were forced to drive at least 20 miles to stock their pantries at the nearest full-service store.

Then last year this village of 824 people came together to open a new market. They raised nearly $160,000 of their own money double their initial fundraising goal. And Post 60 Market was born.

The cooperatively owned store moved into the old American Legion building. It sells a full range of groceries, including fresh produce, meat, and household supplies.

Investors receive discounts and dividends and elect a board of directors each year to oversee large financial decisions.

"With being a co-op and so many people bought in it's like you got multiple owners who have just as much commitment to see this thing succeed," says manager Brian Horak.

In many rural towns, a grocery store is a thing of the past, as more of these small businesses fold. Yet entrepreneurs and community initiatives are working to turn that trend around.

maor

Farmers Co-Ops have been running successfully all over the country for decades so it might just work.....Till Dollar General smells it out.

About five years ago, Emerson, Neb., lost its grocery store. Residents were forced to drive at least 20 miles to stock their pantries at the nearest full-service store.

Then last year this village of 824 people came together to open a new market. They raised nearly $160,000 of their own money double their initial fundraising goal. And Post 60 Market was born.

The cooperatively owned store moved into the old American Legion building. It sells a full range of groceries, including fresh produce, meat, and household supplies.

Investors receive discounts and dividends and elect a board of directors each year to oversee large financial decisions.

"With being a co-op and so many people bought in it's like you got multiple owners who have just as much commitment to see this thing succeed," says manager Brian Horak.

In many rural towns, a grocery store is a thing of the past, as more of these small businesses fold. Yet entrepreneurs and community initiatives are working to turn that trend around.

maor

Farmers Co-Ops have been running successfully all over the country for decades so it might just work.....Till Dollar General smells it out.
Ya cant live on dollar store food

In our exurban area we lost our grocery store years ago. We have to go 13 miles to an outer suburb to get groceries.
Wife now orders online and picks them up on way home.

A couple gas stations out here have expanded their stores and now carry more of those products. Comes in handy when you only need a couple things.

It's just the progression of economics in the industry.
I remember as a child, as well as many of you, the mom/pop corner stores.
They were phased out because they couldn't compete with chain stores that
were popping up.

It's just the progression of economics in the industry.
I remember as a child, as well as many of you, the mom/pop corner stores.
They were phased out because they couldn't compete with chain stores that
were popping up.
Yep, and mostly they ass-raped the fuck out of the area they served.

All the ones in my AO bought from a place called Merchant's Grocery Co., the same place I would order items for our prison commissary so I knew what the stuff cost. 4-500% mark-ups were common....We marked-up about 10% on average and the "profit" went into the convict recreation fund.

Merchant's is still around and has really expanded over the years.

Home - Merchants Grocery Company

In our exurban area we lost our grocery store years ago. We have to go 13 miles to an outer suburb to get groceries.
Wife now orders online and picks them up on way home.

A couple gas stations out here have expanded their stores and now carry more of those products. Comes in handy when you only need a couple things.
Detroit has leveled entire neighborhoods. They should turn that land into farm land. Urban farmers. Let the dollar stores sell crap. These markets will bring fresh foods to people who need them. And entrepreneurs can buy a booth and sell their wares. Sounds like a great idea. In the winter time they can sell fresh fruits and veggies brought in but summer time is mostly local grown fruits and veggies.

Detroit has leveled entire neighborhoods. They should turn that land into farm land. Urban farmers. Let the dollar stores sell crap. These markets will bring fresh foods to people who need them. And entrepreneurs can buy a booth and sell their wares. Sounds like a great idea. In the winter time they can sell fresh fruits and veggies brought in but summer time is mostly local grown fruits and veggies.
It's being done in Detroit.....The problem they are having is the theft of farming implements.

R.c2880eb7e221806117aad71c0ac7379d

It's being done in Detroit.....The problem they are having is the theft of farming implements.

R.c2880eb7e221806117aad71c0ac7379d
In Ypsilanti, MI where I went to school there were places the criminals didn’t go. Too risky. Too many police.

Cameras. Big fences. Don’t leave expensive stuff when you go home? Don’t put it right off a street?

It would be hard to steal from a rural farm. You’d have to park and walk a long way.

In Ypsilanti, MI where I went to school there were places the criminals didn’t go. Too risky. Too many police.

Cameras. Big fences. Don’t leave expensive stuff when you go home? Don’t put it right off a street?

It would be hard to steal from a rural farm. You’d have to park and walk a long way.
I'm talking farms next to the hood. There seems to be a lot if them.

I never understand why a business that has a virtual lock on a market goes out of business.
Clueless, do you have a TV? Do you read any newspapers? Do you not possess a social media device?
Try any of the above and be enlightened. Profitable stores go out of business because of all the left-wing fools who promote and support criminal activity, such as robbing food markets. Mr. MORONSTREET is the reason we are living with Biden.

Every single one of the local owned stores here are gone. All of them.
Replaced by 3 Kroger stores, 2 Aldi's, WalMart, Target, Fresh Thyme and one farm co-op that has practically nothing.
Really small towns either still have a small cop-op or local market.

Clueless, do you have a TV? Do you read any newspapers? Do you not possess a social media device?
Try any of the above and be enlightened. Profitable stores go out of business because of all the left-wing fools who promote and support criminal activity, such as robbing food markets. Mr. MORONSTREET is the reason we are living with Biden.
Ok
Yeah everyone knows I voted for Biden....you sir are
Dumbass says what? Obviously you don't pay attn.......yeah lm a big lib ....just askem

I have no respect for the likes of you and everyone that knows you. You and they are not man enough to admit your terrible judgment and a vote that is harming this country. Tell us all how proud you are that Biden, with his failed withdrawal caused the deaths of so many including 13 of your bravest. Then go on and praise his utterly failed border policies and the deaths of so many illegals just trying to get here. Stand up and clap for the rape of women and the abuse of children because of his open border fiasco. Why are we no longer energy independent? Because of your asshole, Biden. Anyone but Biden would have stopped the Russian invasion of Ukraine before it started. I am also very sure that you are reveling in his inflation numbers, and his tax and spend idiocy while throwing our tax dollars at every left-wing debacle that finds his desk. If by chance I am wrong about your party affiliation and who you support, I will surely apologize but if I am right, FJB and U2.

Forum List

Back