Royal tragedy: King Henry I's son 'partied until finding grave at bottom of sea'

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
On the night of 25 November, 1120, something cataclysmic happened to the Royal Family. The kingdom had prospered for years and King Henry I had brought great wealth to the island nation. The events that unfolded on that day have been described by historian Charles Spencer as nothing short of a "true-life Greek tragedy".

Henry had spent the preceding 20 years building up a system of Government that was highly successful.

He had already started to hand over powers to his son, William the Aetheling.

William had been designated King and Duke of Normandy for the next generation - a monumental privilege and responsibility.

He was his father's only legitimate son, his sister Matilda the only legitimate daughter - this being despite Henry I having more than 20 children.

Yet on that day in 1120, William boarded the White Ship that was departing Barfleur, northwestern France, changing the face of royal history.

He believed it was a time to celebrate with the 300 notable members of Anglo-Norman society who were making the trip to England.

Confident that the ship - the swiftest and most modern in the royal fleet - could make a nighttime crossing, William and his crew and party remained drinking on the shore.

Yeah..............he was such a moron.

Forum List

Back