Rock & Roll History

There used to be a show on VH-1 called "Rock & Roll Jeopardy".

I tried for the better part of three years to get onto that show. I was raised in a musical household, and the answers came easy to me. It wouldn't be unusual for me to go through an entire show and get every question correct...

I tried for the better part of three years to get onto that show. I was raised in a musical household, and the answers came easy to me. It wouldn't be unusual for me to go through an entire show and get every question correct...

What was Railroad Gin's biggest hit?

Greg

1597898726765.png

*****SMILE*****

:)

LOL. I've crossed the generational divide. My answer to most trivia questions, including those on Jeopardy , is "What is I used to know the answer to that one."

Greg

Probably "A Matter Of Time", but who cares? They were pretty much a nothing band.

Did they ever actually leave Australia?

LOL. I've crossed the generational divide. My answer to most trivia questions, including those on Jeopardy , is "What is I used to know the answer to that one."

I know how you feel. I hear people talking about singers and musicians that have become popular recently, and I have no idea who they are.

I don't really care, though. I'm pretty sure that guys like you and I grew up with good music. Hell, I saw Zeppelin at Madison Square Garden in '77; the last show of, I believe, a six show engagement there. I saw Frank Zappa at Stony Brook University in '84. I went to the first US Festival, in San Bernadino, in 1982. This is back before the advent of nonsense like auto-tuners and samplers. Musicians actually had to play and singers actually had to sing...

Greg

Probably "A Matter Of Time", but who cares? They were pretty much a nothing band.

Frankly they were a very good band. Dunno if they left Oz but their sound was taken up by a group called "men at work" and a few other local bands. They grew out of a vibrant pub band scene..raw but damn entertaining.

Greg

Greg

Frankly they were a very good band. Dunno if they left Oz but their sound was taken up by a group called "men at work" and a few other local bands. They grew out of a vibrant pub band scene..raw but damn entertaining.

Greg

Shit, you've just described every "almost made it" that's ever existed. Back then, as a general rule, if a band didn't tour, they simply didn't make it. It truly didn't matter how good they were. Even mediocre bands that toured did fairly well.

When I said they were a "nothing" band, I wasn't referring to talent, I was referring to their popularity and impact. Fact is, if you didn't live in Australia , you probably didn't even have a chance to buy one of their two albums, let alone see them in concert, and that's if you even knew who they were...

In the six seasons that Rock & Roll Jeopardy was on the air, I would be willing to bet the farm that there was never a Railroad Gin question...

Greg

Greg

Shit, you've just described every "almost made it" that's ever existed. Back then, as a general rule, if a band didn't tour, they simply didn't make it. It truly didn't matter how good they were. Even mediocre bands that toured did fairly well.

When I said they were a "nothing" band, I wasn't referring to talent, I was referring to their popularity and impact. Fact is, if you didn't live in Australia , you probably didn't even have a chance to buy one of their two albums, let alone see them in concert, and that's if you even knew who they were...

In the six seasons that Rock & Roll Jeopardy was on the air, I would be willing to bet the farm that there was never a Railroad Gin question...
Not to brag but I sang and danced on stage with Al Green.

I'll take that bet... I'll see your farm, and raise you a Plantation...

Anywho, I am so far behind in music... Just stumbled on to this combination of talented vocalists... Really enjoyed them...

Forum List

Back