Roads, guardrails, and parking garages were not designed for the weight of EVs

What is it that you don't understand about the idea of comparisons?

If you replace every car on the road with another that is 30% heavier what do you think will happen?

Nothing right?

If you want to actually have an intelligent discussion let me know.

until then go fuck yourself

Until you can explain how every car on the road will be an EV in less than 50 years, you can go fuck yourself. If weight is the issue, then the weights of other, far more common vehicles, is a valid response.

I'm pretty sure there are more Suburbans (and other large SUVs) on the road than there are EVs.

What is it that you don't understand about the idea of comparisons?
What is it you don't understand about much heavier vehicles being put onto the road every day? Cement trucks for example, 18 Wheelers, SUVs, etc...
If you replace every car on the road with another that is 30% heavier what do you think will happen?

Nothing right?
We did replace a great many smaller cars with SUVs. You didn't say jack shit. Why? Your answer was that I didn't start a thread about this topic you say will "cause problems"
If you want to actually have an intelligent discussion let me know.
I would have to have it with someone who was intelligent...you don't qualify. Clearly you're only concern is that the newest "threat" to the roadways (something you've never talked about before today) is SUVs and you think it is a threat to the nation's manhood somehow.

Until you can explain how every car on the road will be an EV in less than 50 years, you can go fuck yourself. If weight is the issue, then the weights of other, far more common vehicles, is a valid response.

I'm pretty sure there are more Suburbans (and other large SUVs) on the road than there are EVs.
SUVs aren't a threat to the nation's manhood.

That is his worry. Its bizarre.

No, just a valid question you do not want to answer.

Look, there are plenty of valid reasons not to want an EV. Range, time it takes to refuel, and even the danger of fires we are not totally prepared to combat.

But weight? A 2018 Cadillac Escalade weighs 7,500 lbs.

Where did I imply that I think ALLL cars should be limited to 3300 pounds?

Quote the post.

I made a comment on your shitty comparison of a midsized car to a full sized SUV.

That's all I did/

But you pricks have to assign some nefarious ulterior motive to it .

Maybe your simple mind can understand this.

If a bridge was constructed to handle a static weight of 500 average cars because that's how many cars could be stuck on the bridge unable to move for any number of reasons, what would happen if all cars on that bridge were 30% heavier?

According to you it doesn;t matter because and ICE SUV weighs more than a midsize EV

Your arbitrary time frame does not invalidate the question

Where did I imply that I think ALLL cars should be limited to 3300 pounds?

Quote the post.

I made a comment on your shitty comparison of a midsized car to a full sized SUV.

That's all I did/

But you pricks have to assign some nefarious ulterior motive to it .

Maybe your simple mind can understand this.

If a bridge was constructed to handle a static weight of 500 average cars because that's how many cars could be stuck on the bridge unable to move for any number of reasons, what would happen if all cars on that bridge were 30% heavier?

According to you it doesn;t matter because and ICE SUV weighs more than a midsize EV
Bridges, roads, guardrails are not designed for the average car they are designed for the heaviest possible weight... plus a large fudge factor.

How much does a fully loaded Peterbuilt 53' trailer weigh vs a Prius?

I'm guessing the Peterbuilt (that has been on the road since the 60's) weighs more. Strange how suddenly the roads can't handle their weight.
These idiots start with a belief then back their way into nonsense.

Facts be damned, their feelings are what counts.

Many of us engineering inclined people worried about the impact on our infrastructure of vehicles that weight 30% or more than ICE vehicles. They are finally covering the problem -

A crash test performed on a guardrail on Oct. 12, 2023, highlighted the concern. At 60 mph, the 7,000-plus-pound, 2022 Rivian R1T truck tore through the barrier with little reduction in speed. In a separate test conducted in September, a 2018 Tesla Model 3 sedan lifted the guardrail and passed below it, coming to rest behind the barrier.

While the Manhattan parking garage collapse in early April was not blamed on EVs, the disaster nonetheless underscored an issue of growing concern: whether aging roads and old garages can handle all the extra weight.

Like all things liberal, common sense defies the case for EVs. For example, tire life on a Tesla is ridiculously low. That means roads are getting chopped up by these heavy torque machines, and as a bonus, more tires are getting discarded - great for the environment.

We're all going to pay for this nonsense.
Er...they are lighter than commercial trucks yes?

Many of us engineering inclined people worried about the impact on our infrastructure of vehicles that weight 30% or more than ICE vehicles. They are finally covering the problem -

A crash test performed on a guardrail on Oct. 12, 2023, highlighted the concern. At 60 mph, the 7,000-plus-pound, 2022 Rivian R1T truck tore through the barrier with little reduction in speed. In a separate test conducted in September, a 2018 Tesla Model 3 sedan lifted the guardrail and passed below it, coming to rest behind the barrier.

While the Manhattan parking garage collapse in early April was not blamed on EVs, the disaster nonetheless underscored an issue of growing concern: whether aging roads and old garages can handle all the extra weight.

Like all things liberal, common sense defies the case for EVs. For example, tire life on a Tesla is ridiculously low. That means roads are getting chopped up by these heavy torque machines, and as a bonus, more tires are getting discarded - great for the environment.

We're all going to pay for this nonsense.
So a 7000 pound Rivian is a danger but a 7000 pound Dodge Ram is a-okay?

A Tesla Model S weighs 4561 lbs.
A Chevy Suburban weighs 5824 lbs.

The Rivian may be an exceptionally heavy vehicle.

Rather than blaming all EVs, pass a weight limit for passenger vehicles. And maybe upgrade the roads and guardrails.

Who would compare a small electric sedan to a HUGE 7 row V8 powered SUV?

A reasonable comparison to the Model S would be something like a Ford Fusion at 3400lbs. You have to compare vehicles with equivalent passenger and load space for it to be a valid comparison. Like the Ford F 150 lightening weighs 35% more than the regular F-150. Direct comparison.

Last edited:
If you don't think that replacing all ICE cars with EVs that the additional weight will not have an effect on the wear and tear of roads then you're even dumber than I thought. And that's really saying something.

This is true whether or not you are pro or anti EV
Especially on residential roads trucks aren't allowed on

How much does a fully loaded Peterbuilt 53' trailer weigh vs a Prius?

I'm guessing the Peterbuilt (that has been on the road since the 60's) weighs more. Strange how suddenly the roads can't handle their weight.

Fully loaded Peterbilts aren't allowed in parking garages. They also aren't allowed on many roads.

Yesterday I saw a road with a 2 ton weight limit going into a subdivision behind a warehouse I was picking up at. Literally an EV would not be allowed on it but a Toyota Camry would.

There was a study done on this that shows that EV's actually cause twice the damage to roads as gas vehicles. I have a small concern with this study in that it was out of the UK, and they have very small gas vehicles, our gas cars are not THAT small. So I'm not sure if they cause twice the damage here, but they would damage the roads more, of course.

Also, the increased weight of EV's mean car haulers have to haul less cars per load, meaning the cost will be kept higher and they have to make more trips, causing more damage to roads and burning more fossil fuels.

Last edited:
That is because the problem is not the weight of EVs. The problem is that some people do not want EVs and don't want anyone else to have them either.
Our infrastructure on traveling on roads is a century old and more. Anything built is based on how we travel. EV's if going to happen would have on its time. We have self-serving corrupted elites pushing it on us for their massive profits. With infrastructure that is going to take a long time to complete. So, we are putting the cart before the horse. With the removal of anything deemed a fossil fuel people in the winter cold areas are going to live in a clown show. You can see the costs of electricity is going to increase in a huge way. Electricity goes out in the house for a period of time, and we will be digging a lot of graves. In poor areas no kerosene or propane heaters there will be massive illegal electricity hook ups with direct electricity coming into those dwellings. Fires galore and many deaths from it including potentially firefighters with the wires running everywhere. These things need to be thought out.

FWIW, my BMW 3 Series (AWD) weighed over two tons...about the same as the Tesla Model 3LR that replaced it.

The best selling vehicles in the U.S. for the past several decades have been full-sized pickup trucks, which typically weigh over 5,000 lbs. And that's not just the Ford, it's also the GMC/Chevy and Ram. And if you have been in a parking garage recently, they are all over the place, taking up about 1.25 parking places each.

As for EV tires, I'm not buying the loony Narrative. If you get a high performance EV with AWD, it's going to go through tires quickly, just like any other high-performance car, because they are made of soft rubber and people abuse them. I suspect that when you "floor" a high-performance EV like the Tesla Model 3 Performance, even though you don't hear screeching tires, or see black marks on the pavement, the tires are wearing about the same as if you did.

Despite what the codger in the WH says, none of us will live long enough to experience a time when you cannot buy a new ICE vehicle. That is his stupid pipe dream. It's not so long ago when they were saying that convertibles were dead because of federal safety regulations.

The best selling vehicles in the U.S. for the past several decades have been full-sized pickup trucks, which typically weigh over 5,000 lbs.

Ok, the F150 Lightening weighs 35% more than the regular ICE F-150. What's your point?

Oh and a BMW 3 series weighs 3500lbs in the normal configuration. Very few are AWD.

Stop trying to compare the absolute heaviest ICE vehicles in their extremely rare configurations to the lightest EV model to try to make a point. All you're doing is proving the other side right. I mean when one idiot says EV's aren't heavy because they don't weigh more than a fully loaded class 8 big rig, you know you've got them beat. THAT'S what they have left to compare the weight of an EV to.

Last edited:
Fully loaded Peterbilts aren't allowed in parking garages. They also aren't allowed on many roads.

Yesterday I saw a road with a 2 ton weight limit going into a subdivision behind a warehouse I was picking up at. Literally an EV would not be allowed on it but a Toyota Camry would.

There was a study done on this that shows that EV's actually cause twice the damage to roads as gas vehicles. I have a small concern with this study in that it was out of the UK, and they have very small gas vehicles, our gas cars are not THAT small. So I'm not sure if they cause twice the damage here, but they would damage the roads more, of course.

Also, the increased weight of EV's mean car haulers have to haul less cars per load, meaning the cost will be kept higher and they have to make more trips, causing more damage to roads and burning more fossil fuels.

It looks like your study was done in the UK where the typical vehicle is much smaller than in the US. What's probably happening in the UK is their road maintenance is becoming more like the US maintenance schedules where Americans have been driving much heavier cars for decades.

The average EV weighs around 4,000 lbs. A lot of the best selling models in the US are pickup trucks that typically weigh 6000 to 7,000 lbs.

I guess the hypocrisy comes from the fact that conservatives didn't give a crap about road maintenance when they are driving their diesel trucks but for some reason they seem to now.

If you're actually concerned about long-term road maintenance costs... The good news is that solid state batteries could potentially reduce the weight of the battery packs by up to 70%. More than one car company is already developing solid state batteries for production in the near future.

It's really a non-issue... It's just part of the oil industries propaganda campaign against EVs because it's cutting into their profits.

The average EV weighs around 4,000 lbs. A lot of the best selling models in the US are pickup trucks that typically weigh 6000 to 7,000 lbs.

An F150 lightening weights 35% more than a regular ICE F150.

No truck sold today weighs 7000lbs unless it can pull 25000 to 30,000 or more. They also spread the weight out over larger tires. The "footprint" of a larger vehicle is smaller than an EV because of the footprint.

And if you read in post 73 I mention the study being done out of the UK and that they have smaller cars.

Last edited:

The best selling vehicle in the county is a Ford F series. Americans are obsessed with trucks that weigh just as much as any EV.

Until you guys start talking about the threat from trucks, this is nothing but political tribalism masquerading as concern-mongering.

The best selling vehicle in the county is a Ford F series. Americans are obsessed with trucks that weigh just as much as any EV.

Until you guys start talking about the threat from trucks, this is nothing but political tribalism masquerading as concern-mongering.

The F150 lightening weighs 35% more than the normal ICE F-150.

A vehicle to compare to the 4500lb Model S is the Ford Fusion at 3500lbs. That's 25% more. You have to compare vehicles with similar occupancy levels and storage room or else your comparison is irrelevant.

You also can't ignore that Tesla tire life is maybe 20,000 miles because of this weight. You can get 80,000 mile tires for a Fusion. So you put 4 times more tires on the vehicle making 4 times more waste for landfills. And you're saving the environment how?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back