Roads, guardrails, and parking garages were not designed for the weight of EVs

A Tesla Model S weighs 4561 lbs.
A Chevy Suburban weighs 5824 lbs.

The Rivian may be an exceptionally heavy vehicle.

Rather than blaming all EVs, pass a weight limit for passenger vehicles. And maybe upgrade the roads and guardrails.

Then you pay for it Stain. Always the DEMwitted mindset, throw TAX dollars at everything yet $34T is not enough for DEM?

So what? if you’re worried about a 5000 pound Tesla why aren’t you worried about a 5000 pound F-150?

Because road damage is not an all or none thing.

If 20,000 cars pass over a road per day, and their average weight is 3500lbs, or 20,000 cars pass over a road in a day and their average weight is 4500lbs, which do you think does more damage to the roads? If cars don't damage roads because heavier cars exist, why do roads always need repair? Do you actually think that ONLY the heaviest vehicles damage the roads? Or do you think perhaps its the overall usage of the road, and the overall weight of all the vehicles, cumulatively, that pass over it?

Last edited:
Because road damage is not an all or none thing.

If 20,000 cars pass over a road per day, and their average weight is 3500lbs, or 20,000 cars pass over a road in a day and their average weight is 4500lbs, which do you think does more damage to the roads? If cars don't damage roads because heavier cars exist, why do roads always need repair?
If electric vehicles and light duty trucks cause equal amounts of additional wear, why do conservatives only criticize EVs? This is especially problematic given that conservatives absolutely love trucks.

If electric vehicles and light duty trucks cause equal amounts of additional wear, why do conservatives only criticize EVs? This is especially problematic given that conservatives absolutely love trucks.

Because trucks were made to haul things. You can't pull a boat with an EV. Can't pull an RV. It's the CUMULATIVE weight that passes over the road. When that 5000lb EV replaced a 3500lb ICE vehicle, you've now ADDED MORE WEIGHT to the road. The average weight of vehicles is going up because of EV's.

If I drive a 5000lb truck because I have a lawn service and need it to pull my trailer, that's fine. But if I drive a 6000lb EV just to go to work, when a gas powered car the same size with 3 times the range weighs 2000lbs less, you're putting stress on the road that wasn't there 20 years ago when it was poured.

If you drive a Fusion at 3500lbs to go to work and sell it and now drive a 4500lb EV (the lightest one available) you now put 1000lbs more on that road every day to use that road. Do that times a couple hundred thousand and it makes a difference.

Heavier vehicles damage roads more, period. Not JUST THE HEAVIEST ONES. Not to mention they use tires 4 times faster and they cause car haulers to burn more fossil fuels to make more trips because they can't haul as many EV's as they can ICE vehicles because they weigh so much.

Last edited:
Because trucks were made to haul things. You can't pull a boat with an EV. Can't pull an RV. It's the CUMULATIVE weight that passes over the road.

If you drive a Fusion at 3500lbs to go to work and sell it and now drive a 4500lb EV (the lightest one available) you now put 1000lbs more on that road every day to use that road. Do that times a couple hundred thousand and it makes a difference.
And you think that people in trucks are always out there pulling boats around?

They aren’t. They’re using them nearly identically to regular vehicles. The typical truck is used for ego compensation, not heavy duty work.

The F150 lightening weighs 35% more than the normal ICE F-150.

A vehicle to compare to the 4500lb Model S is the Ford Fusion at 3500lbs. That's 25% more. You have to compare vehicles with similar occupancy levels and storage room or else your comparison is irrelevant.

You also can't ignore that Tesla tire life is maybe 20,000 miles because of this weight. You can get 80,000 mile tires for a Fusion. So you put 4 times more tires on the vehicle making 4 times more waste for landfills. And you're saving the environment how?
First I did miss your UK study caveat... My bad on that.

If we're going to be picky, you shouldn't be comparing a model s to a fusion because it has 20% more interior volume ...if you compare it to a Ford Taurus (much closer interior volume) for example the weight difference is just a little over 10%.

As far as tire life goes , the difference is more like 20% then the 400% you were saying... Not all of that is due to weight either, a lot of it has to do with the instant torque that could be mediated through software but drivers like it and want it.

1707058167740.png

4200lb curb weight

It's not legal. Not approved for towing in the USA. You can put a hitch on anything. That right there has a range of less than 100 miles. No way can that tiny little car tow that much weight legally. That boat and trailer weigh close to 3000lbs. That's a Model 3, not approved for towing in the US and only approved up to 2000lb anyway.

This guy got 54 miles out of his Lightening towing 6000lbs.

Last edited:
So basically everyone else needs to drive light weight cars so that conservatives can drive their big boy trucks towing their cute little boats.

They’re allowed to destroy the roads, not EV drivers.

So basically everyone else needs to drive light weight cars so that conservatives can drive their big boy trucks towing their cute little boats.

They’re allowed to destroy the roads, not EV drivers.

No, EV drivers need to pay road taxes based on weight, not body configuration. In my state light trucks pay almost 50 dollar registration fees, sedans pay 25. I know because I own one of each. But some of the sedans weigh more than the light trucks. And states shouldn't FORCE people to buy heavier cars that tear up the roads.

EV's also don't pay road taxes with gas purchases, so they should be forced to pay their fair share because if my 3500lb Fusion tears up the roads so badly that I have to pay 45 cents per gallon in road tax, then EV's at 5000lbs should be taxed accordingly.

My light truck doesn't get good mileage, so I pay for it's extra weight in extra road taxes through fuel purchases. EV's don't have to do this, but tear the roads up just the same as an ICE vehicle that weighs the same, right?

Last edited:
It's not legal. Not approved for towing in the USA. You can put a hitch on anything. That right there has a range of less than 100 miles. No way can that tiny little car tow that much weight legally. That boat and trailer weigh close to 3000lbs. That's a Model 3, not approved for towing in the US and only approved up to 2000lb anyway.

This guy got 54 miles out of his Lightening towing 6000lbs.

I did an image search for a model Y 3200 towing capacity, 4200lb curb weight.

Range drops when towing #physics

Except that isn't the point of this idiotic thread....

The point (aka lie) the OP is telling is that the EVs weigh too much and the roads can't take it...yet somehow much heavier vehicles have been on the road for over 1/2 a century.
Maybe the ev should pay the same in taxes that the owner of the 18 wheeler does.

I did an image search for a model Y 3200 towing capacity, 4200lb curb weight.

Range drops when towing #physics

Ok, it's not a model Y in the photo.

And since these cars weigh so much but pay zero road taxes through fuel purchase to keep up the roads, do you support them being taxed in some way, like a per mile tax?

Maybe the ev should pay the same in taxes that the owner of the 18 wheeler does.

If that dumb mother fucker would have any idea how much 18 wheelers pay in taxes and fees to use our roads he'd shut the fuck up real quick.

My truck uses about 18,000 gallons of diesel per year. The average is about 50 cents per gallon in road tax in the cost of diesel, some states way higher. So that means ONE TRUCK pays NINE THOUSAND DOLLARS just in ROAD TAX FOR FUEL PURCHASES. That does NOT include IFTA taxes, state fees to cross through their states, etc. I saw in the paperwork the permit to pass through New Mexico my company paid $2700 dollars for one year. Just for PERMISSION TO PASS THROUGH THE STATE ON THE INTERSTATE. That's one state, one permit, one year.

And to any idiots who say I'm lying and that big trucks don't need permission to go through states, notice when you enter New Mexico if there isn't a chicken coup on the right known as a "port of entry." All commercial vehicles must enter, and if you don't have a permit, you must pay for one or you will not be allowed to continue. If you are caught beyond the POI and don't have a permit you can be fined tens of thousands of dollars and have your rig towed at your cost.

Last edited:
I suppose all those fucking giant SUVs and pickup trucks on the road are all lightweights.

They pay road repair taxes with fuel purchases. Those very heavy EVs do not.

Why should a 5000lb EV get away scott free not paying for the damage they do to use the roads, but a 5000lb SUV is constantly paying through fuel purchases? Do only SUV's damage roads at 5000lbs but EV's glide over them?

And since these cars weigh so much but pay zero road taxes through fuel purchase to keep up the roads, do you support them being taxed in some way, like a per mile tax?
Attach files

Several States already tax EVs separately at a higher rate (on average) than the fuel tax. I think that is fair, you have to pay for infrastructure.

I am not against incentives for adoption of cleaner tech but that's a different discussion.

Forum List

Back