RIP Florian Schneider. The Kraftwerk co-founder has passed away at age 73.

• Banned
kraftwerk means "power station" in german. its an unusual name for a pop band. also, just like Rammstein, the lyrics are in german

Saw them once in the early 80's with this set-up at the Warner Theater in DC. Great show.

Used to play Kraftwerk on the turntable in our school common room late 70s. It was a war between us and the Rainbow/Whitesnake crew. If they got in first they used to play that shite all day. Kraftwerk used to freak them out cos it wasnt "real music".
Preferred Bowie myself.

• Banned
some of their songs are neither pop nor rock, but rather sound like an odd transmission of music from the future

And we're driving, driving, driving on the Autobahn......…......…...………….
after Autobahn, Kraftwerk became Germany's Andy Warhol

"i want to be a machine that creates art" - Acerbic Andy Warhol

Kraftwerk created arty art art, indeed! Bowie called it "industrial folk music"

in their 1977 album, Kraftwerk predicted that governments would use technology to spy on citizens.

you know the rest of the story, my friends!

Almost every musician on the planet owes a debt to Florian Schneider...a true pioneer

The sound that Schneider pioneered influenced David Bowie, Depeche Mode, and the entire 80s synth-pop scene. The Beatles of Electronic Music!

"Man we are losing the hugely influential great ones. Rest In Peace the great Florian Schneider. That music will put you in a trance, sent a million musicians in a new direction, (Bowie named a beautiful song after him for crying out loud!); had a huge hand in the invention of hip hop, all while fearlessly navigating and pioneering the inventive avante-garde in post war Germany. What a spirit! Radioactivity is in the air for you and me! Kraftwerk forever! I’m grateful for you Florian! " - Flea of RHCP

You are who you are. When you get your opportunity - show the world

"support the economy. celebrate Christmas more often" - Kraftwerk lyric

that's the German idea of irony!

from Pitchfork:

"Kraftwerk was supposed to be the man machine, the ultimate fusion of culture and technology. This was a band whose music would live on via automation long after its human incarnation had departed the natural realm. And yet the death of Florian Schneider—the band’s co-founder, sonic perfectionist, and erstwhile flute player—still hurts like hell. "

Forum List

Back