Rick Perry explains how "abstinence only" works

His base doesnt care.

Look how stupid Bush appeared on the issues and they voted for him.

Perry looks more like reagan and is everything they loved about Bush.

They cheated enough to get Bush in office they will cheat enough to put this swaggering cowboy in office.

To be honest, I don't care if he swagers, wears cowboy boots, spits tobacco juice or farts around the campfire.

If he reduces the debt, I'm for him. We simply cannot afford to have the Big 0 in charge of the check book.

It's like having an alcoholic gambler for a provider.

This is their "better than sliced bread" candidate? :eusa_eh:

He doesn't have to be the very best ever. He just has to be the guy without the Obama Touch. If everything Obama touches turns to crap, all the opposition needs is a guy who doesn't hurt things as much.

The bar is not set too high.

If your sitting in a Caddy with 4 flats, a blown engine and rag top that leaks and it's raining and cold, that good running Ford with a working heater looks pretty good.

Here's the choice: Empty Hopes and Spare Change vs. A Return to Sanity.

Last edited:
A new study published in the Archives of Pediatrics & Adolescent Medicine Monday showed that young teens given an abstinence-only message were significantly more likely to delay having sex than those receiving more comprehensive sex education.

The research is gaining attention since it’s the first rigorously conducted study demonstrating that an abstinence-only program can be effective.

“This is really game-changing research, because it provides the first strong evidence that abstinence-only education can help very young teens delay sex,” says Bill Albert, chief program officer for that National Campaign to Prevent Teen and Unplanned Pregnancy, a nonpartisan organization. “The menu of proven options just got larger, and that’s good news.”

Who cares about another month of delay if you end up pregnant or with an STD?

The truth is, Republicans use pregnancy and STDs as "See, I told you so" punishment. They love punishment. Even if it hurts them.

A new study published in the Archives of Pediatrics & Adolescent Medicine Monday showed that young teens given an abstinence-only message were significantly more likely to delay having sex than those receiving more comprehensive sex education.

The research is gaining attention since it’s the first rigorously conducted study demonstrating that an abstinence-only program can be effective.

“This is really game-changing research, because it provides the first strong evidence that abstinence-only education can help very young teens delay sex,” says Bill Albert, chief program officer for that National Campaign to Prevent Teen and Unplanned Pregnancy, a nonpartisan organization. “The menu of proven options just got larger, and that’s good news.”

And the target age group of the report was 12.

Abstinence-only study could alter sex-education landscape - CSMonitor.com

>>>>

And the target age group of the report was 12.

Abstinence-only study could alter sex-education landscape - CSMonitor.com

>>>>

Oh NOOOOO! You didn't use the "Christian Science Monitor". Right wingers on this board said they were "left wing loons" because they wrote about Republicans holding the unemployed hostage if Obama didn't agree to the Bush Tax Cuts. They used quotes from Republican leaders, the lying bastard loons.

Simple truth, the only 100% effective way to prevent a pregnancy is not have sex. Why do some people hate medical facts? When did Democrats become the anti doctor party?

No one 'hates' medical facts.

A comprehensive understanding of adolescent psychology is the best course of action, acknowledging the personal fable, and the teenage propensity to act irresponsibility. Teach abstinence, but also teach about contraceptives – ensure young people are armed with enough knowledge to be safe and make as informed a decision as possible.

Ignorance is the greatest ally of teenage pregnancy, not sex education.

Biologically, abstinence-only works. But as far as policy and education goes... yeah good luck. It keeps teens in the dark and lets misinformation spread, and you end up with girls thinking she can't spread STDs through oral sex and guys thinking condoms aren't really that effective so why bother.

Rick Perry Has a George Bush Moment - YouTube

Texas has the third highest teen pregnancy rate in the country.
I'm not defending Perry, he's a Liberal in Conservative clothing but he's right. If you don't stick your "cocktis erectus" in a girl, she can't get pregnant. What part of that is wrong? None of it.

But hey that doesn't matter, they're gonna' fuck anyway, so just give em condoms and/or access to abortions. Great idea. :rolleyes:

Read about how Suzanne Somers got pregnant.

Biologically, abstinence-only works. But as far as policy and education goes... yeah good luck. It keeps teens in the dark and lets misinformation spread, and you end up with girls thinking she can't spread STDs through oral sex and guys thinking condoms aren't really that effective so why bother.

It is impossible for teens to be in the dark thees days. None of them can feign ignorance because the school nurse did not show them how to use a rubber and what they are for. One hour of Cartoon network after 9PM gives them a pretty good idea. Honestly, I think impulsive behavior that teens are known to have is responsible more then anything else.

It is impossible for teens to be in the dark thees days. None of them can feign ignorance because the school nurse did not show them how to use a rubber and what they are for. One hour of Cartoon network after 9PM gives them a pretty good idea. Honestly, I think impulsive behavior that teens are known to have is responsible more then anything else.

No, it's not impossible. There is plenty of ignorance about how sex, contraceptive effectiveness, and STD transmission actually work, especially in poor districts where access to the internet and cable tv are lower than lily-white suburbia. I saw it first hand. Myopic teen behavior is probably the main factor, but that is not a reason to not teach safe sex ed.

No, it's not impossible. There is plenty of ignorance about how sex, contraceptive effectiveness, and STD transmission actually work, especially in poor districts where access to the internet and cable tv are lower than lily-white suburbia. I saw it first hand. Myopic teen behavior is probably the main factor, but that is not a reason to not teach safe sex ed.

Reading the directions on the box of rubbers will suffice. Sure abstinence training has not worked, but sex ed has not done any better. The issue is kids are not using the rubbers. Not because of lack of education, but because they are in tho moment, or just dont give a damn. When I was in high school condoms were all the rage. Pregnancy was feared, as was all the VD and everyone was terrified of AIDS. Thees days, that fear just is not there. My Son does public school now, and he sat threw a sex ed class. They did not cover anything he did not already know. For thees classes to be affective again they need to make thees kids understand that the STD's are still dangerous, and that people still die from Aids.

Rick Perry Has a George Bush Moment - YouTube

Texas has the third highest teen pregnancy rate in the country.

Simple truth, the only 100% effective way to prevent a pregnancy is not have sex. Why do some people hate medical facts? When did Democrats become the anti doctor party?

Speak for yourself.

Medical fact.

Humans are hard wired to have sex.

If they weren't we would cease to exist as a species.

How does that change the simple fact that the abstinence, when properly used, is the only method with a 100% efficacy rate at preventing pregnancies and STDs? Even sterilization only has a 99.9% efficacy at preventing pregnancy, and it prevents 0% of STDs. Do you have a problem with medical facts?

No one 'hates' medical facts.

A comprehensive understanding of adolescent psychology is the best course of action, acknowledging the personal fable, and the teenage propensity to act irresponsibility. Teach abstinence, but also teach about contraceptives – ensure young people are armed with enough knowledge to be safe and make as informed a decision as possible.

Ignorance is the greatest ally of teenage pregnancy, not sex education.

Really?

What does your expertise in teenage psychology tell you about the likelihood of teenagers actually using contraceptives to prevent pregnancy, or the likelihood they will use condoms to prevent STDs? Do you honestly expect me to believe that they will do either simply because someone tries to tell them about how wonderful it is?

From what I remember of my teenage years I paid attention to sex ed only long enough to find out they were not actually talking about sex. After that, I lost complete interest in anything they had to say about getting pregnant, diseases, or whatever else they were trying to teach. Why the fuck should I believe teenagers today are paying more attention than I did?

Your problem in trying to make this discussion about teenage psychology is you actually want to ignore teenage psychology and you then want me to believe in tooth fairies.

Last edited:

Yet, despite the fact that we have mandatory sex education in schools, we still have teen pregnancy and STDs. Could that be because the same teenagers will not listen to the facts about the only safe way is to abstain will also not listen to the facts about STDs and using condoms?

Yep, and no one has a way to stop that.

Yep, and no one has a way to stop that.

There is also the lack of understanding of how serious STD's are.

Forum List

Back