Rhode Island parents enraged at school board for removing honors classes in 'equity obsession'

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
Barrington, Rhode Island, public schools are among the best in the state. Many parents move to the district, and tolerate the higher taxes, because of the academic rigor that sets their children up for attending Ivy League schools or receiving academic merit scholarships. However, all of that academic appeal is being chipped away after the district brought in a so-called "equity and inclusion" agenda.

De-leveling, or a system of universal learning, was first implemented in Barrington on the most vulnerable students—the students with learning disabilities and Individualized Education Programs (IEP). In February 2020, in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic, the school removed some conceptual classes. On the whole, parents of children in those classes were reluctant to speak out because they ran the risk of "outing" their child as having a disability or needing special accommodation.

A mom whose daughter has an IEP and attended the removed conceptual classes said that de-leveling has caused her daughter's grades to decline. The mother requested anonymity in order to protect her daughter's identity.

Rhode Island parents enraged at school board for removing honors classes in 'equity obsession'

I'm of two minds on this one.....I don't think non-college bound students should have to be forced to sit through such a thing like when I was in school but at the same time it should not be denied to those that wish to attend. Have it after school.

If the Barrington School Board is doing this so they can reduce taxes, and free up that money for district parents to send their kids to private schools, I don't have a problem with this.

Forum List

Back