Restoring what once was our republic

YoursTruly

Platinum Member
Dec 21, 2019
Over the passed few decades, the remaining strands of what was once called our Republic has been snipped. Mostly by democrats, in the name of "democracy." But the GOP hands are just as dirty because of the times that they've had the majority in the House, and failed to enact rules and procedures that made our government a Republic again, and not a democracy or the oligarchy it now is.
The 202 holdouts, IMO are fighting to keep their oligarchy. They've even attempted to use fear mongering as a means to get the 20 patriots back in line. Making up all sorts of lies about what's gone on in those meetings.
For the last 4 decades, some of us have paid attention to some of these rule changes. Chip Roy exposed a couple lately. But the one that I believe was the final straw in what was left of our Republic, was the one that forces all congressmen to put their amendments through a committee before they're introduced on the House floor.
Boehner was the first to reduce the amount of amendments being allowed on the house floor (first) Pelosi was the first to not allow any. Ryan copied and pasted that. Pelosi once again did the same. It's become the norm by now.
But Justin Amash brought this rule to my attention when he left congress. Although, I really didn't realize how important that one rule was to our Republic.

We elect our congressman to represent us. To vote yes or no on bills. To write up the bills and amendments that would benefit those of us in our districts. But this rule abolishes at least part of that. Because if our congressman can't offer bills on the house floor, and get a vote from every other member of congress, this means that only a few people in some committee get to decide. Therefore, the house of representatives, as a whole, aren't the ones making these decisions for us or our Rep. It's the few people in a committee.
And here's where it gets sticky. Who pays for those committee seats? Lobbyist. They dole out the $400,000 to $500,000 per committee seat for their favorite congressman. And all he/she has to do to pay it back is either fund raise, or vote the way the lobbyist/special interest wants them to vote.
So now, we're not even being represented by other members of congress. But by the lobbyist who pay for those committee seats.

This is just one of the rules changes that Chip Roy and the others are calling for. And McCarthy is refusing. I think it's because if the rules get changed, lobbyist won't have such a stranglehold on those committee members.

Over the passed few decades, the remaining strands of what was once called our Republic has been snipped. Mostly by democrats, in the name of "democracy." But the GOP hands are just as dirty because of the times that they've had the majority in the House, and failed to enact rules and procedures that made our government a Republic again, and not a democracy or the oligarchy it now is.
The 202 holdouts, IMO are fighting to keep their oligarchy. They've even attempted to use fear mongering as a means to get the 20 patriots back in line. Making up all sorts of lies about what's gone on in those meetings.
For the last 4 decades, some of us have paid attention to some of these rule changes. Chip Roy exposed a couple lately. But the one that I believe was the final straw in what was left of our Republic, was the one that forces all congressmen to put their amendments through a committee before they're introduced on the House floor.
Boehner was the first to reduce the amount of amendments being allowed on the house floor (first) Pelosi was the first to not allow any. Ryan copied and pasted that. Pelosi once again did the same. It's become the norm by now.
But Justin Amash brought this rule to my attention when he left congress. Although, I really didn't realize how important that one rule was to our Republic.

We elect our congressman to represent us. To vote yes or no on bills. To write up the bills and amendments that would benefit those of us in our districts. But this rule abolishes at least part of that. Because if our congressman can't offer bills on the house floor, and get a vote from every other member of congress, this means that only a few people in some committee get to decide. Therefore, the house of representatives, as a whole, aren't the ones making these decisions for us or our Rep. It's the few people in a committee.
And here's where it gets sticky. Who pays for those committee seats? Lobbyist. They dole out the $400,000 to $500,000 per committee seat for their favorite congressman. And all he/she has to do to pay it back is either fund raise, or vote the way the lobbyist/special interest wants them to vote.
So now, we're not even being represented by other members of congress. But by the lobbyist who pay for those committee seats.

This is just one of the rules changes that Chip Roy and the others are calling for. And McCarthy is refusing. I think it's because if the rules get changed, lobbyist won't have such a stranglehold on those committee members.

He's just another pig at the trough. You've been had...again.

He's just another pig at the trough. You've been had...again.

Campaign contribution are evidence. They can also be misleading, in both directions.
But voting records are hard evidence. In fact, they're hard cold facts. Roy's voting record is fiscally and constitutionally conservative.
Can you find any pork that Roy stuck in the omnibus that pays any of those donors a dime?

I'll wait right here for your answer. But I'm not holding my breath.

Traditionally committee assignments are done by seniority in a bidding system. So, if the most senior member wants to be on his favored 2 committees and 4 sub committees, then he gets those slots, and so on and so forth until they are all filled in a system not completely different than how office assignments are also handled. Not a lot of room for special interests to influence that. The member I worked for before their retirement from Congress always held a seat on transportation & infrastructure even when they had enough seniority to cherry-pick something more high-profile than that particular one. The reason was quite pragmatic---transportation is such a broad issue, they could bring home the bacon a lot more readily there than on say the Armed Services Committee.

"mostly by Democrats".... well, there's the first problem. Republicans blame EVERYTHING on Democrats, Democrats blame everything on Republicans and this infighting leads to nothing.

Think about it.

Traditionally committee assignments are done by seniority in a bidding system. So, if the most senior member wants to be on his favored 2 committees and 4 sub committees, then he gets those slots, and so on and so forth until they are all filled in a system not completely different than how office assignments are also handled. Not a lot of room for special interests to influence that. The member I worked for before their retirement from Congress always held a seat on transportation & infrastructure even when they had enough seniority to cherry-pick something more high-profile than that particular one. The reason was quite pragmatic---transportation is such a broad issue, they could bring home the bacon a lot more readily there than on say the Armed Services Committee.

A lobbyist saying they can do it and a lobbyist being able to actually do it are two different things. If you want lobbying money, you get on appropriations, not ways and means BTW. They touch everything.

A lobbyist saying they can do it and a lobbyist being able to actually do it are two different things. If you want lobbying money, you get on appropriations, not ways and means BTW. They touch everything.

"Buy me a seat on the ways and means committee." <<< Key word.. "Buy."

"mostly by Democrats".... well, there's the first problem. Republicans blame EVERYTHING on Democrats, Democrats blame everything on Republicans and this infighting leads to nothing.

Think about it.

What it actually leads to is what we have now in the house. A fight with the status quo republicans vs the fiscal conservatives. It's taken 40 years for enough people to stand up against slimy creatures like McCarthy & McConnell. But it's happening now on the House floor. Going on vote #7.

If the 20 cave to the lies and false promises of McCarthy, then it's over & done for probably another 40 years. And honestly, because of the way things go in DC and the fact that we're $31 trillion in debt, I doubt the USD can hold out for another 40 years. Maybe not even another 4.

What it actually leads to is what we have now in the house. A fight with the status quo republicans vs the fiscal conservatives. It's taken 40 years for enough people to stand up against slimy creatures like McCarthy & McConnell. But it's happening now on the House floor. Going on vote #7.

If the 20 cave to the lies and false promises of McCarthy, then it's over & done for probably another 40 years. And honestly, because of the way things go in DC and the fact that we're $31 trillion in debt, I doubt the USD can hold out for another 40 years. Maybe not even another 4.
You think those 20 assholes are "patriots".

What the fuck do you know

Forum List

Back