Restaurants closed due to coronavirus face huge restart costs

For those of you who continue to think we need an indefinite shut down for this virus and that the economy will somehow just automatically come roaring back, a lot of small businesses out there will never reopen. A lot of people will be staring down unemployment for a long time to come. The cure continues to be worse than the disease.

"Each restaurant to reopen from a standstill of 30 or 60 or 90 days is going to take tens and tens of thousands of dollars or more, well over $100,000 to open, and we're going to require a significant amount of capital to get back up and running at some point," Cameron Mitchell Restaurants founder and CEO Cameron Mitchell told FOX Business' Cheryl Casone on Monday.

This is sad. A lot of businesses we knew will not be back, and their employees may have a hard time finding work after this is over.

I will always believe this was a major overreaction and a very costly mistake.

For those of you who continue to think we need an indefinite shut down for this virus and that the economy will somehow just automatically come roaring back, a lot of small businesses out there will never reopen. A lot of people will be staring down unemployment for a long time to come. The cure continues to be worse than the disease.

"Each restaurant to reopen from a standstill of 30 or 60 or 90 days is going to take tens and tens of thousands of dollars or more, well over $100,000 to open, and we're going to require a significant amount of capital to get back up and running at some point," Cameron Mitchell Restaurants founder and CEO Cameron Mitchell told FOX Business' Cheryl Casone on Monday.

Damn.. I worried about my job now lol .. I just hope a miracle happens and they find a cure for this thing or I’ll be starting a go fund me page ha

If your employer took the necessary means to protect his/her business you won't have a problem. If you're working for an idiot, good luck.
You know nothing about running a business

Restaurants are going to have to buy a shit load of food to reopen and not knowing if people will
Come out is scary

Beef, pork, chicken, vegetables, you have two hundred menu items. Advertise! We're open! Reservation recommended for the rush! Locals receive priority reservations! We still deliver to the curb for your convenience. It ain't rocket science......Sysco offers ETD delivery.

How is being dead worse than the cure? I thought the Right was all about pro-life? Lol! That's been the joke of the late twentieth and twenty first century.

Makes me wonder what will happen to Chic-Fil-A, a fast chicken food chain that was handing out upstarts for basically free, requiring new franchisees to hit the road running to outrun impending debt. This trend of quick open fast food deployments started a few years ago and my estimate is that it would take most of them at least 2 years to break even, otherwise they would face multimillion dollar debts. Theres going to be some big permanent closures on the lower end and fast food end. Ma and pa shops are going to face some debt as they restock and take a cut in customer flow but its these cheap chain upstarts that are going to get hit the hardest. Looks like the winner here was construction when they put up all those new restaurants at record speed post 2010.

For those of you who coWhyntinue to think we need an indefinite shut down for this virus and that the economy will somehow just automatically come roaring back, a lot of small businesses out there will never reopen. A lot of people will be staring down unemployment for a long time to come. The cure continues to be worse than the disease.

Why so much? They have freezers for the meat/fish? Or is everything they serve fresh? I've never heard of them, so I don't know.
NO. Paying a grand a month or often much more more for commercial rate electric and gas to keep the shit running isn't worth it; on an indefinite timeline.
Ditch everything for chump change and do a complete restock....WHENEVER $$$.. with no idea about volume of clientele.--- $ or ?
Bankrupt folks wont be going out for a LONG time after (if there is an after) and world tourism will be nil other than 4 seasons -Hilton and shit like that.
I hadn't thought about the coming recession/depression. Yes, eating out is a "splurge," especially for a family. I spend a $10 in the morning for breakfast and feel kinda guilty. So you've got a point there.

You feel guilty for supporting local business?
Not at all. I just don't have a lot of money.

Nothing wrong with splurging once in a while.

How is being dead worse than the cure? I thought the Right was all about pro-life? Lol! That's been the joke of the late twentieth and twenty first century.
Thanks to trump we have some great medication to combat it, and we can get tested regularly with the new abbot machine .

For those of you who coWhyntinue to think we need an indefinite shut down for this virus and that the economy will somehow just automatically come roaring back, a lot of small businesses out there will never reopen. A lot of people will be staring down unemployment for a long time to come. The cure continues to be worse than the disease.

Why so much? They have freezers for the meat/fish? Or is everything they serve fresh? I've never heard of them, so I don't know.
NO. Paying a grand a month or often much more more for commercial rate electric and gas to keep the shit running isn't worth it; on an indefinite timeline.
Ditch everything for chump change and do a complete restock....WHENEVER $$$.. with no idea about volume of clientele.--- $ or ?
Bankrupt folks wont be going out for a LONG time after (if there is an after) and world tourism will be nil other than 4 seasons -Hilton and shit like that.
I hadn't thought about the coming recession/depression. Yes, eating out is a "splurge," especially for a family. I spend a $10 in the morning for breakfast and feel kinda guilty. So you've got a point there.
Damn!!! $10...

They may make eating out tax deductible to get the economy going

Many restaurants didn't close. Some of course kept delivery and take out going. Some are selling off inventory. Some near me are selling bread, lunchmeat, chicken, beef, hamburger and vegetables. Anything they use in the restaurant. Including paper towels, disinfectant, toilet paper. Anything. They keep their stock fresh and are ready to open.

The state hurriedly passed a law that prohibits such sales without a grocery permit.

These restaurants are still doing business.

Which State was that?
California.

Democrats made it possible.

Restaurants are going to have to buy a shit load of food to reopen and not knowing if people will
Come out is scary
If they aren't sure people will come, chances are they won't open. And why would they not be sure whether they will come? Other than social distancing and self quarantine, people won't know who is infected or not, because some never show signs, and very few Americans have been tested. I suspect the restaurants have already figured this out for themselves, what their clients figured out a long time ago. Meaning, I'm not setting foot in a restaurant until this thing passes.

Come out is scary

Beef, pork, chicken, vegetables, you have two hundred menu items. Advertise! We're open! Reservation recommended for the rush! Locals receive priority reservations! We still deliver to the curb for your convenience. It ain't rocket science......Sysco offers ETD delivery.

So now fuck face you own restaurant's?

Last edited:
Come out is scary
If they aren't sure people will come, chances are they won't open. And why would they not be sure whether they will come? Other than social distancing and self quarantine, people won't know who is infected or not, because some never show signs, and very few Americans have been tested. I suspect the restaurants have already figured this out for themselves, what their clients figured out a long time ago. Meaning, I'm not setting foot in a restaurant until this thing passes.
I think by May, new cases will be very few and we willl have meds to combat this thing. They will push forward drugs being tested rather quickly.. I actually served the Utah Jazz player that shut down the nba, I didn’t catch anything. But we have to go back to work

Good point

This is sad. A lot of businesses we knew will not be back, and their employees may have a hard time finding work after this is over.

The "overreaction" happened because asswipePINO did too little, too late. I have four bipartisan MOC's that prove that.

Tell that to the one's who are infected, and to those who have lost loved one's. And those like you who thought the same thing you do, who either got sick or lost loved one's, no longer feel the need to believe what you continue to believe.

In the best economy of all time, in the history of anything? That cant be right.

Here is what gets me. You know how pontificating idiot leftists like to say they are all about minorities?

Guess who is wanting to shut down the very segment of the economy most likely to be owned by........anybody...…….. anybody...….,

Ferris?

[/QUOTE
My wife and I were in the restaurant business for 12 years. This article is bunk. We could start up easily with 5000 dollars of delivery. Maybe in New York it would be a lot more, maybe double but this is just another article to frame radical victimhood so they can get more money. And it is everywhere. I am happy that workers are getting help and small businesses also but the trend is just to ask for more and more money, preferably free money, without end. We can’t afford it as a country and we must get back to work. In most of the country the shutdown has been an immense overreaction. Americans have come up with so many ingenious ways to deal with this virus and we will come up with more. Keep nursing homes under lockdown, old people semi quarantine, get the plasma remedy going, increase testing and let people go back to work. And for good measure, start throwing people in jail who travel knowing they have the virus.

Forum List

Back