Republicans ending cooperate welfare... at least till September.

I want to know why giants like GE and Boeing need it for?

You have to ask them. My only concern is if they pay back the loans. As long as they do, they could throw parties for their CEOs for all I care.

Nah. First off, not all pay it back. Solyndra? But once you make the loan, if they don't pay it back, then that's it. You can't bleed a rock.

Now if you suggest we make CEOs and the board of directors personally liable... I'd be for that, but of course not a single company would take such a loan on those terms.... which of course is why I'd support that.

Second, as with most things out of government, the numbers are fudged. The 'on-budget' amounts might be paid back. But behind the curtain, a ton of double dealing has gone on.

The most obvious is GM, which claims to have paid back it's loan with interest. Of course that ignores that GM got tons of tax money as part of the bankruptcy co-opted by the government, in government stock, which the Treasury later sold at a loss.

But that's not all.... While GM did pay back the loan, many people don't know, they paid it back with tax money from a government funded escrow account. So GM paid back the government loan, with government money.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/02/business/02gret.html?_r=2

And lest you think it was only GM that did this.....
Banks Repaid Fed Bailout With Other Fed Money Government Report

Even the huffington post was willing to point out that banks paid back most of their bailout loans... with other government money.

But there is a final reason, I'm completely against this.

There is a reason companies are willing to spend hundreds of billions on lobbying government. And it's not that hard to figure out....

It's because they get stuff. If companies got nothing for their lobbying, they wouldn't lobby anymore.

Every single time that you allow our government to give out ANYTHING.... ANYTHING AT ALL.... to anyone anywhere.... you are directly encouraging lobbying of our government.

This was several years back, but the BBC interviewed a congressman (from another state so I forgot his name, or I'd know it and be voting for him), but he was talking about lobbying in Washington, and how a group of lobbyists spent some big dollars to lobby him.

And he expected them to promote some general legislation. Instead they wanted him to support directing some research funds to their specific company. He said, no, and not only that, but he opposed all money given to specific companies, and pointed out the constitution didn't give government the right to fund specific companies.

Funny thing...... they never spent money to lobby this congressman again. I don't think it was Ron Paul, or I would of remembered that. It does sound like him though, in retrospect.

Someone said it best, as long as money flows out of government to private industry, there is a monetary incentive to direct that flow of money. And that's the whole point.

So yes, I want government to not give out a single loan, or grant, or subsidy, to anyone for anything, no exceptions.

What part of 'shipping jobs over seas' did some of you miss?

Please tell me--what is wrong with the government loaning money and making a profit from the interest? I miss that.

Oh, some of these American corporations make contributions to candidates? Maybe you guys forgot the whole point behind Citizen United. They are not donating because they share the same ideology with the politician. Corporations donate to gain influence. If the politician does not help me(corp) I will not help the politician!

You let that fool Ted Cruz lead us into a ditch. Before I just thought of him as an idiot goof ball. Now I hate him!!

Government loaning money is exactly what caused the subprime crash.

My problem is that we're treating the symptoms, instead of the cause.

We push a bunch of policies that jack up costs on business, which drives business out of the US.....

Then we offer government funded loans and subsidies to keep them here.

This is like injecting a healthy patient with Arsenic, and then giving them oxycodone for the pain.

Here's a thought.... let's stop poisoning the economy to begin with, and then we don't need all these subsidies to remedy the symptoms.

"Government loaning money is exactly what caused the subprime crash."

I thought it was the Banks making loans to people that could not pay it back was the cause of the subprime crisis!!

You are mixing apples and oranges and changing out assets and credit scores!!

No it was government. Banks made those loans, because they were told to, and because Freddie and Fannie, which are direct arms of the government, pushed these loans.

I'm not mixing anything. They are directly related.

About time they shut it down and piss off GE......

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - General Electric is taking steps to shift some U.S. manufacturing work overseas now that the U.S. Export-Import Bank will be shuttered at least until September, the industrial giant's global operations boss told Reuters on Thursday.

GE Vice Chairman John Rice said the conglomerate is bidding on over $10 billion worth of projects that require support from an export credit agency (ECA) like Ex-Im.

With Ex-Im unable to extend new loans or guarantees thanks to an effort by congressional Republicans to shut it down, GE is arranging with ECAs in other countries to finance the deals involved, with much of the production going to GE plants in those foreign locations. The prospective government partners include Canada, the United Kingdom, France, Germany, China and Hungary, he said.

Snip

Ex-Im has been unable to consider any new financing requests since Congress allowed the bank's charter to expire on June 30.

Rice's comments come as the U.S. Congress starts a five-week summer recess with no clear path to revive Ex-Im in the months ahead. A group of conservative Republicans, who say the 81-year-old trade bank is a nest of "crony capitalism" that doles out government welfare to GE, Boeing Co and other wealthy corporations, want to keep it closed for good
GE may be shipping 10 billion worth of work overseas - Business Insider

Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face.

The far right Republicans are such clowns.

Says the king of clowns....

Forum List

Back