Republican Senator asks for CBO score of Sanders' Single Payer bill

Sanders didn't mention anything about cost for the same reason jewelry stores don't mention price. If you saw the cost up front, you'd just walk away shaking your head.

Senator asks for CBO score of Sanders's single-payer bill

Sanders made sure not to mention anything about costs in his presentation a couple of days ago.
Let's see how much this thing is gonna save us and how much our taxes will have to be raised, etc.
How much would it save you if you didn't have to buy health insurance for yourself or your family any more?

How much would it save your employer if they didn't have to subsidize most of your health insurance for you and your family any more? Do you even know what your employer's cost share of your health insurance is?

How much would it save American taxpayers if they no longer had to subsidize your employer sponsored health insurance tax exemption?

I can answer that last question. I'm just curious if you know the answer.

What Percent of Health Insurance is Paid by Employers?

In 2015, the average company-provided health insurance policy totaled $6,251 a year for single coverage. On average, employers paid 83 percent of the premium, or $5,179 a year. Employees paid the remaining 17 percent, or $1,071 a year.

For family coverage, the average policy totaled $17,545 a year with employers contributing, on average, 72 percent or $12,591. Employees paid the remaining 28 percent or $4,955 a year.

All those expenses, for both the employee and their employers, would go away under a single payer system. YUGE savings!

In addition, the tax exemption costs another $260 billion in federal revenues each year. That expenditure, too, would also go away.

In 2015, the average company-provided health insurance policy totaled $6,251 a year for single coverage. On average, employers paid 83 percent of the premium, or $5,179 a year. Employees paid the remaining 17 percent, or $1,071 a year.

For family coverage, the average policy totaled $17,545 a year with employers contributing, on average, 72 percent or $12,591. Employees paid the remaining 28 percent or $4,955 a year.

All those expenses, for both the employee and their employers, would go away under a single payer system. YUGE savings!

In addition, the tax exemption costs another $260 billion in federal revenues each year. That expenditure, too, would also go away.

Right, and everyone goes out to the health insurance tree growing on the Mall in Washington and picks their coverage...then rides a unicorn to their doctors office.

A non-partisan group already calculated it at $32 TRILLION over the first 10 years, that's a tax increase of $24,000 a year for every family in the country. Liberals suck at math, told you so.

Right, and everyone goes out to the health insurance tree growing on the Mall in Washington and picks their coverage...then rides a unicorn to their doctors office.
Nope. I am pointing out that whatever Sander's unicorn fairy dust costs, you have to factor in the savings which come with it if you are a fair-minded person.

I have no doubt health care costs will continue to rise under a single payer system. It has in every single payer country.

The only question is at what rate it will rise. Most likely it would rise slower than the rate it was rising before ObamaCare.

I'm sure the CBO will point out the savings, which the pseudocon propagandists will DEFINITELY fail to mention.

Nope. I am pointing out that whatever Sander's unicorn fairy dust costs, you have to factor in the savings which come with it if you are a fair-minded person.

I have no doubt health care costs will continue to rise under a single payer system. It has in every single payer country.

The only question is at what rate it will rise. Most likely it would rise slower than the rate it was rising before ObamaCare.

I'm sure the CBO will point out the savings, which the pseudocon propagandists will DEFINITELY fail to mention.

My mistake. Misunderstood your point.

My point is, there is no "savings", just a shifting of burden from employers to taxpayers.

Who do you think is going to be better stewards of the money...businesses with a bottom line, or government with a mandate, the power of the IRS to compel compliance and no incentive to reduce costs...because there is no accountability.

In fact, what has government ever done more fiscally responsibly than the private sector.

And let's not even talk about the lack of freedom of choice.

But, my apologies over my previous reply. I know you are a smart person...so when I see that kind of response, it seemed like you were gilding a turd.

My mistake. Misunderstood your point.

My point is, there is no "savings", just a shifting of burden from employers to taxpayers.

Who do you think is going to be better stewards of the money...businesses with a bottom line, or government with a mandate, the power of the IRS to compel compliance and no incentive to reduce costs...because there is no accountability.

In fact, what has government ever done more fiscally responsibly than the private sector.

And let's not even talk about the lack of freedom of choice.

But, my apologies over my previous reply. I know you are a smart person...so when I see that kind of response, it seemed like you were gilding a turd.
The burden is shifted away from you as well. You would no longer have the out of pocket cost of your share of your insurance, or your co-pays.

As for "better stewardship", employer sponsored health insurance is known to be one of the main drivers behind increasing costs. That isn't because employers suck at keeping costs down. It is because there are other factors out of their control in the current system.

It's not about the money. Giving the government control of life and death decisions of every citizen is a big step towards total tyranny.

That's a good point. It will boil down to how much payroll and income taxes will have to go up and to what extent people will be willing to take that hit initially.

Hold on just a minute there Slick, we were told the CBO scores were worthless when they scored the GOP's R & R bill causing 24 million to lose their health insurance.

Sanders made sure not to mention anything about costs in his presentation a couple of days ago.
Let's see how much this thing is gonna save us and how much our taxes will have to be raised, etc.
How much would it save you if you didn't have to buy health insurance for yourself or your family any more?

How much would it save your employer if they didn't have to subsidize most of your health insurance for you and your family any more? Do you even know what your employer's cost share of your health insurance is?

How much would it save American taxpayers if they no longer had to subsidize your employer sponsored health insurance tax exemption?

Well, that depends on how sick or injured one becomes and the direct and indirect costs one must incur to recover from a disease, ailment or injury.
For the most part, if one experience any of the typical things that happen to people over the course of their lives, one is economically better off having health insurance than paying out-of-pocket for health care. The people for whom that doesn't turn out to be so are people who in course of their lives are notably healthier than average and fortunate enough to suffer fewer "typical" injuries than average.

One way or another it will cost whatever it costs, and getting government involved has never made anything cheaper.

It's not about the money. Giving the government control of life and death decisions of every citizen is a big step towards total tyranny.
Much better that profit making insurance companies make the life and death decisions to maximize profits. :cuckoo:

Good. I wonder though what they'll compare that cost to? Current expenditures on health care overall in society? I don't have much confidence that single payer will reduce our overall expenditures. Inefficiency exists now and it probably would become worse with single payer. I could support a public option if someone proved to me that costs would go down. With public option private insurance wil always always find a way to offer private options. Either as substitutes or add ons. So this argument of death panels is stupid since you'll always have the option to opt out if you have the money. Just don't trust the government to reduce inefficiency and cost from what we have today.

Yep. Just ask Britishers with a fatal disease how they feel about the treatment they receive from the Ministry of Health.

Good. I wonder though what they'll compare that cost to? Current expenditures on health care overall in society? I don't have much confidence that single payer will reduce our overall expenditures. Inefficiency exists now and it probably would become worse with single payer. I could support a public option if someone proved to me that costs would go down. With public option private insurance wil always always find a way to offer private options. Either as substitutes or add ons. So this argument of death panels is stupid since you'll always have the option to opt out if you have the money. Just don't trust the government to reduce inefficiency and cost from what we have today.
Yes, but they will ration your care. That's why you have to wait 6 months in Britain to get an MRI when you have a brain tumor

Forum List

Back