Report: EU building hundreds of illegal structures for Palestinians in Area C of West Bank

I feel a RoccoR moment coming over me....and back in the room....fun though reading this "map war" is, sadly it’s irrelevant to the OP.

The OP states, “The EU is establishing facts on the ground in the West Bank, building hundreds of illegal structures near Ma'ale Adumim and E1 which the government does not remove because it does not want a diplomatic tangle with the Europeans, according to a report released by Regavim.”

OK, let’s look at the legality of these EU structures. I asked earlier for clarification on area C, which I think we can all agree is territory occupied by Israel since 1967 and over which Israel has control. However, Oslo accords or no Oslo accords, Israel does not have sovereignty over this area nor has it formally annexed the area (an illegal act in any event). This makes Israel an occupying power as defined by The Hague convention of 1907 subsequently incorporated into the Geneva Conventions (IV).

Still with me? Under both The Hague and Geneva conventions an occupying power must, “...ensure, as far as possible, public order and safety, while respecting, unless absolutely prevented, the laws in force in the country” (article 43 Hague)

Basically this means that Israeli law does not necessarily apply in the occupied territories so how can these structures be “illegal”?

Well we can perhaps spend a lot of time and energy debating the status of Palestine between 1948 and 1967 yet again, but to save us all the bother, ultimately the laws that applied in area C between 1948 and 1967 whatever its status, were either Jordanian (Planning Law Number 79) or British (The Town and Country Planning Law 1945).

It may come as a surprise to some that the Zionist Occupation Forces recognise (and often abuse) the Jordanian legal system within the occupied territories of Palestine, which means that the law that applies in any building and construction work is the Jordanian Planning Law number 79 of 1966

In a nutshell, this law requires any development plans to be prepared, approved, and kept up to date by local authorities and construction permits may be refused if a development conflicts with the local plan; penalties for unpermitted development may include, in extreme cases, demolition. The law provides for a High Planning Council advised by a Central Planning Department which would prepare and approve 'regional' plans, and local municipalities or groups of villages would prepare 'outline' and 'detailed' plans, to be approved by the High Planning Council and District Commission, respectively. All of these institutions exist within the PA.

Consequently as a) The EU does not recognise the Zionist Occupation of Palestine as either legal or permanent, building permits would have been sought from the PA before building work commenced. The EU structures are therefore legal under International Law and Israel knows it. This is why the structures have not been demolished.

The OP is therefore misleading and a rather pathetic attempt to somehow create equivalency between Zionist settlement building (illegal) and EU building (legal) where none exists.

Typical Hasbara BS

Not so respectfully, Challenger.

...You cannot build without a permit. The EU has continued to do so. Illegally. You can cry all you want. But, thems the breaks.

Did the EU ask permission to build from the PA? if the answer is "yes" that's all the legality that's required. I'm not crying, just stating the facts.

So if I give the local skinheads permission to build a clubhouse in your garden that is all the permission they need ?

If you are the legal owner of my garden or have sovereignty over the land my garden sits on, then, yes.

I feel a RoccoR moment coming over me....and back in the room....fun though reading this "map war" is, sadly it’s irrelevant to the OP.

The OP states, “The EU is establishing facts on the ground in the West Bank, building hundreds of illegal structures near Ma'ale Adumim and E1 which the government does not remove because it does not want a diplomatic tangle with the Europeans, according to a report released by Regavim.”

OK, let’s look at the legality of these EU structures. I asked earlier for clarification on area C, which I think we can all agree is territory occupied by Israel since 1967 and over which Israel has control. However, Oslo accords or no Oslo accords, Israel does not have sovereignty over this area nor has it formally annexed the area (an illegal act in any event). This makes Israel an occupying power as defined by The Hague convention of 1907 subsequently incorporated into the Geneva Conventions (IV).

Still with me? Under both The Hague and Geneva conventions an occupying power must, “...ensure, as far as possible, public order and safety, while respecting, unless absolutely prevented, the laws in force in the country” (article 43 Hague)

Basically this means that Israeli law does not necessarily apply in the occupied territories so how can these structures be “illegal”?

Well we can perhaps spend a lot of time and energy debating the status of Palestine between 1948 and 1967 yet again, but to save us all the bother, ultimately the laws that applied in area C between 1948 and 1967 whatever its status, were either Jordanian (Planning Law Number 79) or British (The Town and Country Planning Law 1945).

It may come as a surprise to some that the Zionist Occupation Forces recognise (and often abuse) the Jordanian legal system within the occupied territories of Palestine, which means that the law that applies in any building and construction work is the Jordanian Planning Law number 79 of 1966

In a nutshell, this law requires any development plans to be prepared, approved, and kept up to date by local authorities and construction permits may be refused if a development conflicts with the local plan; penalties for unpermitted development may include, in extreme cases, demolition. The law provides for a High Planning Council advised by a Central Planning Department which would prepare and approve 'regional' plans, and local municipalities or groups of villages would prepare 'outline' and 'detailed' plans, to be approved by the High Planning Council and District Commission, respectively. All of these institutions exist within the PA.

Consequently as a) The EU does not recognise the Zionist Occupation of Palestine as either legal or permanent, building permits would have been sought from the PA before building work commenced. The EU structures are therefore legal under International Law and Israel knows it. This is why the structures have not been demolished.

The OP is therefore misleading and a rather pathetic attempt to somehow create equivalency between Zionist settlement building (illegal) and EU building (legal) where none exists.

Typical Hasbara BS

...You cannot build without a permit. The EU has continued to do so. Illegally. You can cry all you want. But, thems the breaks.

Did the EU ask permission to build from the PA? if the answer is "yes" that's all the legality that's required. I'm not crying, just stating the facts.

Challenger, the EU is in the wrong. Clearly. There is no if/and/or/but. I'm over the people that pretend to give a damn about the Palestinians.

Typical Hasbara BS

So if I give the local skinheads permission to build a clubhouse in your garden that is all the permission they need ?

If you are the legal owner of my garden or have sovereignty over the land my garden sits on, then, yes.

And at what time were these fictional people known as the Palestinians governing and in control the area known as the West Bank? That would be a never.

Typical Hasbara BS

Challenger, the EU is in the wrong. Clearly. There is no if/and/or/but. I'm over the people that pretend to give a damn about the Palestinians.

EU is trying to appeae the Muslim hoards that have invaded Europe. It's pretty obvious.

Appeasing the crocodile only means it will eat you later. In fact the Islamic Jihadists are already on the March all over Europe. Israel will soon be an afterthought.

Typical Hasbara BS

There is no "clearly" you have not demonstrated any "clear" legal violation by the EU. Did the EU acquire planning permission to build from the PA? If so, then the buildings are legal, unlike the Zionist colonist settlements which are not. Oh, and I've long been over the biggest anti-Semites on the planet, they're called Zionists.

Looks like you know far more Arabic than I do. Are you a self-hating Muslim, Mustafa?

Shows I have done the research into islam and the BAALESTINIANS. You being R.C. will know who BAAL was I take it, and realise why the arab muslims named themselves after him ?

Interesting, you always bleat on about "Palestinian" being the original name for the Jewish population, are you now saying that was never true?

Not at all if you read my posts on this subject. The original Palestinians were the Jews, named by the Roman invaders as an insult. Around about 630 C.E. the arab muslims invaded and kept up the abusive use of the term Palestine and Palestinians in regards to the Jews. Then in the 1960's Arafat the gay took the name to give his terrorist ideology a name and identity with credence. Having great difficulty in pronouncing the word Palestine they arab muslims pronounced it baalestine instead. To this day the Egyptians who can pronounce Palestine still take a rise out of the baalestinians by calling them baalestinians from baalestine. So the abusive term baalestinian has been in use for little more than 55 years.

Typical Hasbara BS

There is no "clearly" you have not demonstrated any "clear" legal violation by the EU. Did the EU acquire planning permission to build from the PA? If so, then the buildings are legal, unlike the Zionist colonist settlements which are not. Oh, and I've long been over the biggest anti-Semites on the planet, they're called Zionists.

Not if the baalestinians had signed that away to Israel and gave them the authority to issue planning permisions. Once that is done then no one can build without the Israeli's express permission, which is why they have demolished Jewish property that did not have that permission.

Forum List

Back