Reparations in San Francisco

task0778

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2017
Texas hill country
A long-awaited meeting of San Francisco’s board of supervisors was set this week to discuss the recommendation of its African American Reparations Advisory Committee to give $5 million to each eligible Black resident as reparations. The meeting was postponed, but the city and the state soon must make a decision on a bill that has come due for Democratic politicians.
Notably, California’s law expressly states that this money should not be treated as compensation for federal reparations. That raises the question of whether a resident could receive $5 million from San Francisco, $223,000 from the state, and additional payments from the federal government.

Some congressional Democrats have pushed for similar federal reparations and passed a bill out of the House Judiciary Committee in 2021 that failed to receive a floor vote. BET founder Robert Johnson has called for $14 trillion in federal reparations.

The cost of California’s statewide reparations is estimated to be $569 billion. The state’s annual budget is roughly half that amount, at $268 billion. Making things even more difficult, the state faces a $22.5 billion deficit and is seeking spending cuts to cover the shortfall.

I dunno how CA can possibly pay for that much in reparations, much less how the federal gov't could. I don't see it as likely with today's GOP House, but what if the democrats take it back in 2024, win the WH, and add to their Senate majority? And BTW replace one or two justices on the SCOTUS with liberal progressives?

Shouldn't have been handing candy out during COVID so freely. Now they are paying the price for it.

As for how, I suppose they could say blacks don't have to pay property taxes or income taxes for X number of years and declare those reparations.

A long-awaited meeting of San Francisco’s board of supervisors was set this week to discuss the recommendation of its African American Reparations Advisory Committee to give $5 million to each eligible Black resident as reparations. The meeting was postponed, but the city and the state soon must make a decision on a bill that has come due for Democratic politicians.
Notably, California’s law expressly states that this money should not be treated as compensation for federal reparations. That raises the question of whether a resident could receive $5 million from San Francisco, $223,000 from the state, and additional payments from the federal government.

Some congressional Democrats have pushed for similar federal reparations and passed a bill out of the House Judiciary Committee in 2021 that failed to receive a floor vote. BET founder Robert Johnson has called for $14 trillion in federal reparations.

The cost of California’s statewide reparations is estimated to be $569 billion. The state’s annual budget is roughly half that amount, at $268 billion. Making things even more difficult, the state faces a $22.5 billion deficit and is seeking spending cuts to cover the shortfall.

I dunno how CA can possibly pay for that much in reparations, much less how the federal gov't could. I don't see it as likely with today's GOP House, but what if the democrats take it back in 2024, win the WH, and add to their Senate majority? And BTW replace one or two justices on the SCOTUS with liberal progressives?

I can't imagine any blanket cash reparations but here is an example I'd support:
Land was purchased by the Bruces (a Black family) in 1912. They suffered racist harassment from white neighbors, and in the 1920s, the Manhattan Beach City Council condemned the property and took the land through eminent domain. The property was recently returned and is worth $20 million.​

I can't imagine any blanket cash reparations but here is an example I'd support:
Land was purchased by the Bruces (a Black family) in 1912. They suffered racist harassment from white neighbors, and in the 1920s, the Manhattan Beach City Council condemned the property and took the land through eminent domain. The property was recently returned and is worth $20 million.​

Cuz white people never had their land taken via the same method. Great point! lol

They start down that road, they will be exorted for a lot more by assorted con artists. It's a moron play. But we can be certain the wealthy out there won't be paying for it, so the rich kids like Newsom will be more than generous with OPM. Like Leona Helmsley said, only the little people pay taxes.

Actually, Reparations is an excellent 2024 campaign issue for the GOP.

If the reparations bill passes and becomes the law.
I'm going to start identifying as black and move to San Francisco
Then apply for my $5 million dollars. .. :thup:

You would have had to be doing that for at least ten years in the past to qualify.

But it does suggest a new scam that can be worked. For a portion of the $5 million all the needed paperwork can 'magically' appear showing you lived and claimed to be black for at least ten years.

Congo and Senegal slaves shipped to America lived longer than they would have in their native countries had they not been captured and sold into slavery.
American blacks today live longer and have exponentially higher standards of living than contemporaries from Senegal or Congo.
Any American black who demands compensation should not only not be paid reparations but should be taxed for lifestyle enhancement.

You would have had to be doing that for at least ten years in the past to qualify.

But it does suggest a new scam that can be worked. For a portion of the $5 million all the needed paperwork can 'magically' appear showing you lived and claimed to be black for at least ten years.
And you can bet they will have a whole battalion of affirmative action hires to see that it happens.....Then CA will cry poor-mouth no end and ask for a fed bailout.

They've already received huge amount of 'reparations'; most have done nothing with it, and there is no chance most of them won't blow it now. Nothing will change for them, outside of some new toys that will be worthless in three months after they buy them.

How black does one have to be to get reparations?

Don't democrats believe anyone can identify as black?

As black as you want to be. Self-identification is all you need; Democrats say so. I'm going to identify as a one-legged black lesbian Mexican with Cherokee parents!

As black as you want to be. Self-identification is all you need; Democrats say so. I'm going to identify as a one-legged black lesbian Mexican with Cherokee parents!
Totally. Democrats believe some stupid shit.

Anyone who hears a Democrat promising black people money, and believes the democrat, is an idiot.

Forum List

Back