Renewables dominate

I've driven by that wind farm hundreds of times. Even on high wind days, from ten to thirty percent of the turbines are feathered and not turning.
LOL So have I. You know why? Because the wind farm is putting out more generation that is needed. So they have to idle some of the wind turbines. With grid scale storage, that would not be the case. Those mills would be generating and providing energy to whatever form of storage is being used. A prime example of that is the Hornsdale battery in South Australia.

That's because once finished, they can be reclaimed and you would never even know there ever was any mining there.

Unless you can tell me you are an industrial geologist, I'm calling bullshit here. You have no idea the mining needed for batteries for EVs 25 years from now but you can be sure much of it will be supplied by China.

What rare earth is used in a TV screen? CRTs use phosphors and my big screen TV screen is just a sheet of translucent plastic.
The vast majority of the mountaintop removal mines and strip mines are not reclaimed. Corporation propaganda.

No, I am not a geologist, but I have flown over the mountaintop mining areas in the Eastern states, and they are huge and ugly. As for lithium that we need for the batteries, the US has enough to just two locations to supply all of our needs, and that of much of the rest of the world. The present footprint of coal mining on the surface of the US is 8.4 million acres.

LOL Tooby, baby, your vast ignorance is showing again.

"Yttrium, europium, and terbium phosphors are the red-green-blue phosphors used in many light bulbs, panels, and televisions.

"Rare-earth elements (REEs) are used as components in high technology devices, including smart phones, digital cameras, computer hard disks, fluorescent and light-emitting-diode (LED) lights, flat screen televisions, computer monitors, and electronic displays. Large quantities of some REEs are used in clean energy and defense technologies."

"Specific REEs are used individually or in combination to make phosphors—substances that emit luminescence—for many types of ray tubes and flat panel displays, in screens that range in size from smart phone displays to stadium scoreboards. Some REEs are used in fluorescent and LED lighting. Yttrium, europium, and terbium phosphors are the red-green-blue phosphors used in many light bulbs, panels, and televisions. The glass industry is the largest consumer of REE raw materials, using them for glass polishing and as additives that provide color and special optical properties. Lanthanum makes up as much as 50 percent of digital camera lenses, including cell phone cameras."

"Magnets that employ REEs are rapidly growing in application. Neodymium-iron-boron magnets are the strongest magnets known, useful when space and weight are limiting factors. Rare-earth magnets are used in computer hard disks and CD–ROM and DVD disk drives. The spindle of a disk drive attains high stability in its spinning motion when driven by a rare-earth magnet. These magnets are also used in a variety of conventional automotive subsystems, such as power steering, electric windows, power seats, and audio speakers."

"Cerium, lanthanum, neodymium, and praseodymium, commonly in the form of a mixed oxide known as mischmetal, are used in steel making to remove impurities and in the production of special alloys."

I already said that, though without the cut and paste.

I already said that, though without the cut and paste.
Tooby was claiming that the primary use of rare earths was in batteries. I gave him a source other than myself that demonstrated that batteries are only a small part of what rare earth metals are used for.

Tooby was claiming that the primary use of rare earths was in batteries. I gave him a source other than myself that demonstrated that batteries are only a small part of what rare earth metals are used for.

Yeah, but too wordy. REE are also used in the motors, specifically samarium.

LOL Tooby, baby, your vast ignorance is showing again. "Yttrium, europium, and terbium phosphors are the red-green-blue phosphors used in many light bulbs, panels, and televisions.

In many, so not all. I see.

And just why would anyone care to know that since unless you are in the business of DESIGNING picture tubes, to a technician working on a set, that is no more significant than the metal and design of a grid used inside a vacuum tube! All you care about is whether it works and how it fits the application. Only someone deep into mineralogy would happen to know that as some trivia, the doping of picture phosphors is not even ever brought up even in television repair manuals! Because it is irrelevant, nice to know trivial.

You probably just looked it up 5 minutes ago yourself and are now trying to act all smart hoping to impress someone.

Sorry.

Miss.

The vast majority of the mountaintop removal mines and strip mines are not reclaimed. Corporation propaganda. No, I am not a geologist, but I have flown over the mountaintop mining areas in the Eastern states, and they are huge and ugly. As for lithium that we need for the batteries, the US has enough to just two locations to supply all of our needs, and that of much of the rest of the world. The present footprint of coal mining on the surface of the US is 8.4 million acres.

You Lefties just aren't ever very happy people about anything are you?

Do you keep a tablet on your nightstand to write down problems in the world to be bugged about before you go to sleep?

Renewable make up 87% of new generation so far this year.

View attachment 567949

Key word, “new generation”, because the non-renewable energy sources are the ones that last a long time. All these “new” energy sources are only a fraction of the market share and contribute almost nothing to the overall power grid. So “87%” of almost nothing is still not much.

Here in sunny Arizona, solar only makes up 6% of our electric generation. The vast majority is natural gas and nuclear. The biggest clean energy is hydroelectric from our dams. Solar is barely economically viable after ten years of use, then the hardware needs to be replaced.

That's fine with me. As my present vehicles expire, I will replace them with EV's. Because of economy, and the fact I really don't like contributing to the present climate change.
If you own an EV here in Arizona, it is still fueled by fossil fuels since that is where the electricity comes from. It’s all smoke and mirrors to sucker people like you into buying one and believing you are “saving the environment”.

In many, so not all. I see.

And just why would anyone care to know that since unless you are in the business of DESIGNING picture tubes, to a technician working on a set, that is no more significant than the metal and design of a grid used inside a vacuum tube! All you care about is whether it works and how it fits the application. Only someone deep into mineralogy would happen to know that as some trivia, the doping of picture phosphors is not even ever brought up even in television repair manuals! Because it is irrelevant, nice to know trivial.

You probably just looked it up 5 minutes ago yourself and are now trying to act all smart hoping to impress someone.

Sorry.

Miss.
No, silly ass, I learned of the uses of REE's in geology classes.

If you own an EV here in Arizona, it is still fueled by fossil fuels since that is where the electricity comes from. It’s all smoke and mirrors to sucker people like you into buying one and believing you are “saving the environment”.
Unless, of course, you are intelligent enough to have a home solar and battery system. And I have seen the wonderful smog your coal plants cause in the Grand Canyon.

Forum List

Back