Render unto Caesar what is Caesar's: Should Christians give up their guns if ordered by government?

Poor Jesus! Almost no one seems to have the capacity to understand what he said. No wonder he didn't write anything.

Put up again thy sword into his place: for all they that take the sword shall perish with the sword" Mathew 26:52

That passage also confuses me. Are we permitted to engage in self-defense? Are we supposed to be pacifists? If good men didn't fight, we might all be dead.
It's a warning about those who use weapons to cure what ills them. There is nothing wrong with self defense. It's kinda like the old adage about using a hammer to solve all problems...everything becomes a nail. Once you create that nature then all around you will do the same. Eventually it will come back to you.
At least that is how it was described to me.

Why would Christians have guns? The early Christian church did not even permit active military members to join their congregation. How times have changed.

Luke 22:36
Then said he [Jesus] unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
Put up again thy sword into his place: for all they that take the sword shall perish with the sword" Mathew 26:52
That has nothing to do with the Scripture you're replying to
The end....

Well come on Pope John Paul...let her rip...let's see your take on it.

Just for the sake of conversation, if Congress and the POTUS eliminated the 2nd amendment and ordered that all guns be turned into your local government office, would you? Jesus commands us to give to the government that which they request, right?

Of course, if the government is known to be corrupt and likely to persecute its people, would it then be justified to disobey Jesus' command?
I don’t believe it was his command to obey unjust laws. On the contrary, I read this as don’t obey unjust laws.

That passage also confuses me. Are we permitted to engage in self-defense? Are we supposed to be pacifists? If good men didn't fight, we might all be dead.

This was not even defensive, ergo ...

: And the passover of the Jews was near, and Jesus went up to Jerusalem. 14: And he found in the temple the sellers of oxen and sheep and doves, and the money-changers sitting; 15: and, having made a scourge of cords, he cast [them] all out of the temple, both the sheep and the oxen; and he poured out the change of the money-changers, and overturned the tables ...

Forum List

Back