REMINDER -- Use "selective quoting" to bust up long nested quotes in Replies..

When we upgraded about 10 months ago -- there was only TWO CHOICES.. One was "one reply deep" and the other was "infinite replies deep"....

That is incredibly bad software decision by xenforo, but can be fixed if one of the Administrator can change the number allowed from one to 5 in the software?

Been talking with the IT staff and monitoring the Xenforo User forum for clues about whether this is gonna get fixed any time soon.. It's annoying to all of us.,. Even the Mod staff gets these in the Report Forum with the mile long quote chains, and we can not navigate threads with the linkbacks when it all becomes a big mess of vertical lines and no text.

So BE part of the solution here.. Practice the "quote distancing" thing and help out.. If you hit reply and see more than 8 or 10 quotes showing, --- START AGAIN with the selective quoting techniques described here in the thread below...

The '"selective quoting" that you've explained works really well. The problem is that nobody's doing it.

I assume this is xenForo. Everyone on vBulletin has switched by now. None of the other sites that I frequent have this nested tree quote problem. Much less have they been working on a solution since June 1st.

The nested quotes seem like a good idea, but if you've read through the thread, you know that already, and the nest hides the relative quote. I'm pretty sure that it's irritating to everyone.

Without "nested quotes" we become --- worse than Twitter.. The issue at Xenforo may be largely staff contraction due to Covid OR -- it maybe because they're too busy making THIS platform solve EVERY kind of "group/client" communication problem in the world and dont give a shit about "message boards" anymore..

It's ridiculous that "apps" are just EXPECTED to be buggy or compromised by "versatility" in the Marketing Dept...
That doesn't explain why two other sites that I frequent, that have recently upgraded to XenForo, don't have nested quotes. I do not know when this site upgraded because I'm a n00b. If it was earlier, maybe they did something to change that. The "worse than Twitter" comment makes no sense.

There used to be an Admin level control that allowed sites to choose ANY "depth of nested quotes" that they wanted.. Actually was a 3rd party plug-in that DOESN'T work anymore in the new release. We had it set at something like 4 replies deep and life was good.

When we upgraded about 10 months ago -- there was only TWO CHOICES.. One was "one reply deep" and the other was "infinite replies deep"....

With one reply as context, nobody REMEMBERS the conversation or even WHAT THEY SAID an hour ago.. And moderation cant use the link backs in the reply history to figure out where a thread went wrong..

If you're saying that the sites you've seen DONT HAVE "nested quotes" -- that's just unacceptable for any message board that expects coherent discussion.

Twitter is post by post troll outrage.. No real emphasis on topical discussion. Partly because there are no lengthy exchanges to follow unless you peck your way thru the feed.. Impossible to carry a rational conversion..

With only the ONE post (or no posts) given as history of the TOPIC thread, people just wont remember what was asserted even 2 or 3 posts ago.. They wont even know WHAT THEY'VE SAID in exchanges that can go 20 posts long.. And they can not "link back" to read the previous context.

With only the ONE post (or no posts) given as history of the TOPIC thread, people just wont remember what was asserted even 2 or 3 posts ago.. They wont even know WHAT THEY'VE SAID in exchanges that can go 20 posts long.. And they can not "link back" to read the previous context.
I guess the correct answer is that "infinite replies deep" has been chosen as the preferred method. It's not that you can't change it, it's that you don't want to. That's fine, I'll stop complaining about it, except for one thing: While reading my quote alerts this morning, I noticed that a couple of them have me deeply nested in the conversation. i.e. They weren't even replying to me.

I guess the correct answer is that "infinite replies deep" has been chosen as the preferred method. It's not that you can't change it, it's that you don't want to. That's fine, I'll stop complaining about it,

No.. It cannot be changed. There is no global variable to set for limiting depth of quotes. If you are CERTAIN you're RIGHT -- you're hired.

I think what you MIGHT have seen at other Xenoforo sites are smaller message boards that never took the LEAP to Version 2.XXX... And therefore can use the 3rd party plug-in.. We HAD to do it because of posting volume and to better support mobile..

I even gave the IT guys the lines of codes that would have to be edited to do this. But because Xenforo updates itself regularly -- every time they DID that -- we'd have to manually re-edit the patch. And that's just not a realistic way to run code that the VENDOR wont fix..

Forum List

Back