Asking for some editing behavior changes. (Selective Quoting)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, here's another nasty issue.

When you go to the “All posts” under the “What's new” menu, of course, you get a list of all the threads in which posts have occurred, in reverse chronological order of the last post. This page, by default, “refreshes” every sixty seconds.

There is not any circumstances that I can imagine, under which I would want a page like this to “refresh” while I am trying to read through it, and pick out links to follow therefrom. At best, it is extremely annoying and disruptive when the page “refreshes”, causing me to lose my place in it.

Clicking on the icon circled here in green will temporarily turns this feature off, but it always eventually turns on again.

If this “feature” were to be eradicated completely, I would shed no tears for it, and I doubt anyone else would, either. At the very least, this feature really needs to be turned off by default, and certainly, if a user turns it off, it should never turn on again unless the user explicitly indicates that he wants it turned on.

View attachment 325441[/I]
Why don't you just change the refresh time to 120 or 300 seconds? Access with the Arrow button, far right of the message. That way you have time to read the whole list and it will still update so you know which threads are active right that minute. If you log off, though, you'll have to do it again. It doesn't save from one sign in to the next.

It consists of editing a quote, in such a manner that might change or even reverse its meaning,but where the edits are made obvious, and where it is followed by a statement such as “Fixed it for you.”. In fact, on most other forums, the abbreviation “FIFY” is understood as having that meaning, and being an acceptable alternative to spelling out the whole phrase.

In the past -- that was lightly enforced on USMB, but the abuse became plague-like.. People were even editing the name in the linkback to obscenities and NO ONE could follow the thread.. So -- it got canned.. Even in the Taunting forums.. Hard enough today with the "fake news" stories the threads are based on... Don't need an outbreak of "fake quoting"...

Guess we're just dreamers hoping for this to be a DIFF kind of social media and actually PROMOTE discussion...

If this “feature” were to be eradicated completely, I would shed no tears for it, and I doubt anyone else would, either. At the very least, this feature really needs to be turned off by default, and certainly, if a user turns it off, it should never turn on again unless the user explicitly indicates that he wants it turned on.

View attachment 325441[/I]

Yeah, agree, that thing being on by default is annoying. Really screws up reading and scrolling through content.

It consists of editing a quote, in such a manner that might change or even reverse its meaning,but where the edits are made obvious, and where it is followed by a statement such as “Fixed it for you.”. In fact, on most other forums, the abbreviation “FIFY” is understood as having that meaning, and being an acceptable alternative to spelling out the whole phrase.

In the past -- that was lightly enforced on USMB, but the abuse became plague-like.. People were even editing the name in the linkback to obscenities and NO ONE could follow the thread.. So -- it got canned.. Even in the Taunting forums.. Hard enough today with the "fake news" stories the threads are based on... Don't need an outbreak of "fake quoting"...

Guess we're just dreamers hoping for this to be a DIFF kind of social media and actually PROMOTE discussion...
And speaking of discussion, where are our doohickies?

Request went out about 7 days ago.. Got an email on Wednes acknowledging it.. Seems like a lot of issues that Xenforo created in the new release that they're not documenting or answering in the User forum.. MAYBE short staffed like everywhere else..

Request went out about 7 days ago.. Got an email on Wednes acknowledging it.. Seems like a lot of issues that Xenforo created in the new release that they're not documenting or answering in the User forum.. MAYBE short staffed like everywhere else..

Maybe the current version was released too soon?

Maybe the current version was released too soon?

Haven't even read the Release notes or the Bug List.. Got enough to do for USMB just keeping the lid on this place..

If the owners gave me Admin editing privileges which I'm qualified to do -- I'd stay up all night and figure stuff out like that for free... But HEY -- don't tell them that !!! :cool:

If the owners gave me Admin editing privileges which I'm qualified to do -- I'd stay up all night and figure stuff out like that for free... But HEY -- don't tell them that !!! :cool:

,I though the 2 active admins already supposed to do that?

I still see no reason why they are using a paid forum software, when they can use one of the few full featured forums for free, since there is No Blog module being used, NO Store Module being used, No visible Commercial application, why spend the money that doesn't seem to provide a return to justify the cost?

Mod staff has been working with the IT consultants to find a FIX for the mile long quotes you get when folks JUST use the big static "reply" button at the bottom of every post next to the "post rating - like" button.

You mean like THIS, Flacc?

Screen Shot 2020-04-10 at 1.39.54 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-04-10 at 1.41.21 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-04-10 at 1.42.05 AM.png

What you describe and request is called TRUNCATION: the act of merely editing the header to the people and comments to which YOU ARE ACTUALLY SPECIFICALLY REPLYING TO. It enhances readability and saves enormous server space. I do that on most of my posts and long ago got snapped at by a mod (probably because some pinhead bitched that I was "changing" his comments), until I pointed out that I never change what they actually said in what it is I copy nor try to make it appear they said something different, merely edit it down to the salient phrase(s) to which my reply are actually aimed! And I never heard a word since. That is common etiquette in most professional circles.

If anyone ever wants to see the full, unedited version, it is usually right above in a previous post, anyway.

At any rate, nice to see I was finally proven right, even if for a slightly different reason. If I were replying to what I attached above, would you ever figure out what to? A good fix for the board, one of several I've had in mind to suggest to you bosses some day when I have nothing better to do.

Toobfreak showed the example perfectly with the long vertical lines.

Yes, folks need to quote "distance " by selecting the actual text instead of the dummy quote to "mitigate" the "spread " of endless alerts. "We are all in this together" and can "flatten the curve" of a "virus" of endless quote chains.

Sorry about that.
Waaay to many Covid threads on the brain.

By the way... There is a rule in the Posting Guidelines on our Home Page, that when QUOTING a member --- you CANNOT shorten the quote in a manner that changes the INTENT of the poster you are quoting.. SO -- if you're adapting to this "selective quoting" technique, give a FAIR REPRESENTATION of what the member was asserting.. In a way that DOESN'T give a "cable network news" type of quote that is OUT OF CONTEXT...

Whether the context of the quote has been changed is up to the interpretation of staff. It might as well not even be a rule.

By the way... There is a rule in the Posting Guidelines on our Home Page, that when QUOTING a member --- you CANNOT shorten the quote in a manner that changes the INTENT of the poster you are quoting.. SO -- if you're adapting to this "selective quoting" technique, give a FAIR REPRESENTATION of what the member was asserting.. In a way that DOESN'T give a "cable network news" type of quote that is OUT OF CONTEXT...

Whether the context of the quote has been changed is up to the interpretation of staff. It might as well not even be a rule.

Rarely had anyone argue a warning on this rule... It's generally a clear attempt to misquote someone that most all of us would agree on..

Whether the context of the quote has been changed is up to the interpretation of staff.
Sorry, Lew, have I changed what you said? I merely didn't quote EVERYTHING you said not germane to my reply, as well as others on the copy chain I didn't feel worth including in my reply. That is the spirit of the rule, not subject to interpretation. The purpose of the rule would be to prevent this:

QUOTE="Lewdog, post: 24493766, member: 57386"]Whether the meaning of the quote has been sallied is up to the whims and mood of the copee. QUOTE

See, YOU NEVER ACTUALLY SAID THAT, not en toto, in part, implied or in context. That would be more than taking you out of context to deliberately change the meaning of what you said, but literally putting words in your mouth. Big difference, agree?

Whether the context of the quote has been changed is up to the interpretation of staff.
Sorry, Lew, have I changed what you said? I merely didn't quote EVERYTHING you said not germane to my reply, as well as others on the copy chain I didn't feel worth including in my reply. That is the spirit of the rule, not subject to interpretation. The purpose of the rule would be to prevent this:

QUOTE="Lewdog, post: 24493766, member: 57386"]Whether the meaning of the quote has been sallied is up to the whims and mood of the copee. QUOTE

See, YOU NEVER ACTUALLY SAID THAT, not en toto, in part, implied or in context. That would be more than taking you out of context to deliberately change the meaning of what you said, but literally putting words in your mouth. Big difference, agree?

There are people on this forum that had a long history of taking really long posts and shortening them to less than a sentence, totally taking them out of context, but as I said it is all up to what staff looks into it and how they want to interpret it and whether to do anything or not. Many times the response was, "If people want to see the full real quote a person can just go back and look at the original post... which is not the way the rule is being laid out here.

Last edited:

There are people on this forum that had a long history of taking really long posts and shortening them to less than a sentence, totally taking them out of context, but as I said it is all up to what staff looks into it and how they want to interpret it and whether to do anything or not. Many times the response was, "If people want to see the full real quote a person can just go back and look at the original post... which is not the way the rule is being laid out here.

Well, someone doesn't have to truncate the header in a reply in order to take anyone's MEANING out of context! Personally, I clip headers so that both the person being responded to as well as the outside reader can see, easily, hopefully without even needing to click the "expand" button, to see all that I'm specifically replying to, without all the extraneous clutter, to more easily follow the chain of thought. But then, I don't have any scurrilous intent behind my motives.

But I've always interpreted the rules as meaning not to put words into someone's mouth they never said. If I get your meaning or intent wrong, in or "out" of context (a pretty common thing in internet communication), that is a simple matter for the recipient to point out and clarify.

Mod staff has been working with the IT consultants to find a FIX for the mile long quotes you get when folks JUST use the big static "reply" button at the bottom of every post next to the "post rating - like" button.. Quotes stack up pretty quickly if EVERYBODY does it that way in a thread.. IMO and opinion of others, there SHOULD BE a "depth of quotes" setting in the newest version of Xenforo, but at their USER forum, there's no clear guidance on FINDING IT or using it...

So we have an outbreak of "infectious quoting" goin on here, and mod staff is ASKING you to learn to use the "selective quoting" options in the interim to practice "quote distancing" from each other.. :poke:

Here's the quick start version of the tip.. Might be difficult or even impossible on MOBILE -- but if it IS -- you guys get a pass while everyone helps to "break up the spread"...

1) Instead of just pounding the big REPLY button, go to the material content you want to quote and HIGHLIGHT only the material YOU WANT to respond to..
2) When you're done highlighting, a little drop down panel will pop up at the lower right of the material you quoted. There are 2 buttons of choice.. One is "reply" the other is "+quote"... Let's deal only with the "reply" option and the "+quote:" can be for the grad level class or for you to experiment with..
3) When you choose the "reply" from the highlighted material it goes into your editing box -- ready for you to respond. Respond to THAT material..
4) You can REPEAT this again for a 2nd Part of the material you want to respond to.. Just go back to the post you're quoting from and highlight ANOTHER "chunk of wisdom" you want to comment on.. MAKE SURE your CURSOR in the editing box is at the END of where you were typing a response BEFORE you hit the drop down reply and send it to the edit box.. You can FIX the position of these "additional quotes" if it ends up in the wrong place...
5) Not only can use this selective quoting for responding to ONE older post at a time, YOU COULD drop sections of OTHER member quotes into the same reply if you wanted to.. I don't advise that because you might confuse members as to WHOM you're trolling at the moment.. LOL....

We will be pulling some strings on Xenforo for a REAL answer.. But in the meantime, you'll help make USMB more readable and also cut down on the #of Post Alerts you're receiving from threads you left DAYS before...

Thanks and Stay Well
I'm guessing a few members haven't seen this or are ignoring it. I haven't posted here in several days,but surfed in this morning to find 58 reply alerts.

Mod staff has been working with the IT consultants to find a FIX for the mile long quotes you get when folks JUST use the big static "reply" button at the bottom of every post next to the "post rating - like" button.. Quotes stack up pretty quickly if EVERYBODY does it that way in a thread.. IMO and opinion of others, there SHOULD BE a "depth of quotes" setting in the newest version of Xenforo, but at their USER forum, there's no clear guidance on FINDING IT or using it...

So we have an outbreak of "infectious quoting" goin on here, and mod staff is ASKING you to learn to use the "selective quoting" options in the interim to practice "quote distancing" from each other.. :poke:

Here's the quick start version of the tip.. Might be difficult or even impossible on MOBILE -- but if it IS -- you guys get a pass while everyone helps to "break up the spread"...

1) Instead of just pounding the big REPLY button, go to the material content you want to quote and HIGHLIGHT only the material YOU WANT to respond to..
2) When you're done highlighting, a little drop down panel will pop up at the lower right of the material you quoted. There are 2 buttons of choice.. One is "reply" the other is "+quote"... Let's deal only with the "reply" option and the "+quote:" can be for the grad level class or for you to experiment with..
3) When you choose the "reply" from the highlighted material it goes into your editing box -- ready for you to respond. Respond to THAT material..
4) You can REPEAT this again for a 2nd Part of the material you want to respond to.. Just go back to the post you're quoting from and highlight ANOTHER "chunk of wisdom" you want to comment on.. MAKE SURE your CURSOR in the editing box is at the END of where you were typing a response BEFORE you hit the drop down reply and send it to the edit box.. You can FIX the position of these "additional quotes" if it ends up in the wrong place...
5) Not only can use this selective quoting for responding to ONE older post at a time, YOU COULD drop sections of OTHER member quotes into the same reply if you wanted to.. I don't advise that because you might confuse members as to WHOM you're trolling at the moment.. LOL....

We will be pulling some strings on Xenforo for a REAL answer.. But in the meantime, you'll help make USMB more readable and also cut down on the #of Post Alerts you're receiving from threads you left DAYS before...

Thanks and Stay Well
I'm guessing a few members haven't seen this or are ignoring it. I haven't posted here in several days,but surfed in this morning to find 58 reply alerts.

I know.. Have to place reminders in threads where moderation sees these huge quote nests.. Best thing we can do is "bump" this thread and remind people...

If someone changes my words in a quote box I report them. But nothing happens to them. They ought to be banned for at least a month. Hell hath no fury like an English major misquoted.
:funnyface: Take that!

As for the OP topic..I sometimes cut all of the irrelevant after-chatter out of quotes. Sometimes doing so (or attempting to) ends up all FUBAR, but whatcha gonna do?

Don't change much, please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back