Religious Books Worth Reading

I am trying to compile a list of twelve necessary books that I should read multiple times throughout my life to become an unofficial expert on the subject of religion. My list is a little short. Help me out with some good suggestions. This is what I have so far:

HCSB Bible
Book of Mormon
Bhagavad Gita
Institutes of the Christian Religion
Book of Order (PCUSA)
The Satanic Bible
Qu’ran (probably read it only once)

Is anybody familiar with any of the older books on Puritan theology? They say Charles Spurgeon read scores of books on Puritan theology for fun as a young child. Even though Charles Spurgeon had no formal theological training they say he was highly educated.
I would suggest reading Clarence Larkin's DISPENSATION TRUTH

I am trying to compile a list of twelve necessary books that I should read multiple times throughout my life to become an unofficial expert on the subject of religion. My list is a little short. Help me out with some good suggestions. This is what I have so far:

HCSB Bible
Book of Mormon
Bhagavad Gita
Book of Order (PCUSA)
The Satanic Bible

Is anybody familiar with any of the older books on Puritan theology? They say Charles Spurgeon read scores of books on Puritan theology for fun as a young child. Even though Charles Spurgeon had no formal theological training they say he was highly educated.

Better off dumping religion instead as it is made up fable that only delusionists would gladly waste their lives following.

Why not honorably live in the real world instead?
Darwin would disagree with you.

HCSB Bible
Book of Mormon
Bhagavad Gita
Book of Order (PCUSA)
The Satanic Bible

Better off dumping religion instead as it is made up fable that only delusionists would gladly waste their lives following.

There are 2 billion Christians worldwide and 1 billion Muslims worldwide. That is over 3/7 of mankind. I’d say religion is a huge part of reality.

HCSB Bible
Book of Mormon
Bhagavad Gita
Book of Order (PCUSA)
The Satanic Bible

There are 2 billion Christians worldwide and 1 billion Muslims worldwide. That is over 3/7 of mankind. I’d say religion is a huge part of reality.
Throughout history every society has overwhelmingly held the belief that man is more than just matter and that there is a higher power than man. From the atheist's vantage point these beliefs exist because of evolutionary forces. But the reality is that even that argument confirms that spirituality offers a functional advantage over materialism. According to natural selection there are two main components; functional advantage and transfer of functional advantage to the next generation. So even natural selection confirms that spirituality is a behavior which leads to success. Otherwise, according to natural selection, it would have been abandoned long ago. As mankind has gained more and more knowledge of his natural surroundings his desire for spirituality has not diminished. In fact, the more materialistic we became the less satisfied we became.

HCSB Bible
Book of Mormon
Bhagavad Gita
Book of Order (PCUSA)
The Satanic Bible

Throughout history every society has overwhelmingly held the belief that man is more than just matter and that there is a higher power than man. From the atheist's vantage point these beliefs exist because of evolutionary forces. But the reality is that even that argument confirms that spirituality offers a functional advantage over materialism. According to natural selection there are two main components; functional advantage and transfer of functional advantage to the next generation. So even natural selection confirms that spirituality is a behavior which leads to success. Otherwise, according to natural selection, it would have been abandoned long ago. As mankind has gained more and more knowledge of his natural surroundings his desire for spirituality has not diminished. In fact, the more materialistic we became the less satisfied we became.

Is there a necessity to prove the existence of these spiritual forces? I would assert that proving the existence of god(s) or spirit(s) is an exercise in futility. The spirit living inside of man could very well be the same motivation that energizes us to get out of bed in the morning. Why do these god(s) or spirit(s) have to be external beings. Can’t they just be a part of the chemical make up of a human being? We just assign them external existence because they are so powerful and hard to explain.

HCSB Bible
Book of Mormon
Bhagavad Gita
Book of Order (PCUSA)
The Satanic Bible

Is there a necessity to prove the existence of these spiritual forces? I would assert that proving the existence of god(s) or spirit(s) is an exercise in futility. The spirit living inside of man could very well be the same motivation that energizes us to get out of bed in the morning. Why do these god(s) or spirit(s) have to be external beings. Can’t they just be a part of the chemical make up of a human being? We just assign them external existence because they are so powerful and hard to explain?
Not if you enter into a relationship with said Creator, it's not. It's the opposite of futility. It's life changing. I speak from experience. You are free to pursue fame, fortune, power and pleasure, but none of those things will satisfy you in the end because you were made for more.

HCSB Bible
Book of Mormon
Bhagavad Gita
Book of Order (PCUSA)
The Satanic Bible

Is there a necessity to prove the existence of these spiritual forces? I would assert that proving the existence of god(s) or spirit(s) is an exercise in futility. The spirit living inside of man could very well be the same motivation that energizes us to get out of bed in the morning. Why do these god(s) or spirit(s) have to be external beings. Can’t they just be a part of the chemical make up of a human being? We just assign them external existence because they are so powerful and hard to explain.
Let me ask you this question... does success lead to happiness or does happiness lead to success?

Think of success as not necessarily in terms of monetary success - although that would be a part of it - but as accomplishing one's objectives; i.e. personal relationships, menial tasks, careers, problem solving, dealing with hardships, growing as a person, etc.

Last edited:
Let me ask you this question... does success lead to happiness or does happiness lead to success?

Think of success as not necessarily in terms of monetary success - although that would be a part of it - but as accomplishing one's objectives; i.e. personal relationships, menial tasks, careers, problem solving, dealing with hardships, growing as a person, etc.

Happiness leads to success.
I believe so and so does science.

Why?

Charles Freeman--The Closing of the Western Mind: The Rise of Faith and the Fall of Reason.

I like Charles Freeman. I will read anything he does. That's just me.

Not if you enter into a relationship with said Creator, it's not.

I have heard this referenced as a personal relationship. If it is personal then wouldn’t it be inappropriate to prove it? If there is a creator it may be possible that He proves himself to some people but not to others. For example: you know for a fact that God exists but I think it is pure bull shit. We are not operating with the same evidence. You sit down and drink coffee with Jesus on a daily basis. I can’t even get Him to hop out from behind the bush where He is hiding to flip me the bird. Naturally you would believe in God just as I would believe in a person’s existence if I drank coffee with them. On the same note you would argue that I made up a person with absolutely amazing attributes that you have never met and is always conveniently unavailable. Neither of us is illogical with our claim. You just have evidence that I don’t have and it is impossible for you to demonstrate it no matter how hard you try.

Why?

I don’t know.

Why?

I don’t know.
So why would you believe that happiness leads to success? Was it just a guess?

I have heard this referenced as a personal relationship. If it is personal then wouldn’t it be inappropriate to prove it? If there is a creator it may be possible that He proves himself to some people but not to others. For example: you know for a fact that God exists but I think it is pure bull shit. We are not operating with the same evidence. You sit down and drink coffee with Jesus on a daily basis. I can’t even get Him to hop out from behind the bush where He is hiding to flip me the bird. Naturally you would believe in God just as I would believe in a person’s existence if I drank coffee with them. On the same note you would argue that I made up a person with absolutely amazing attributes that you have never met and is always conveniently unavailable. Neither of us is illogical with our claim. You just have evidence that I don’t have and it is impossible for you to demonstrate it no matter how hard you try.
Can you prove to someone what a strawberry tastes like? Or would they have to taste it for themselves to know?

Maybe you are doing it wrong.

Why?

I don’t know.

It is just my personal observation. Yes. A guess.

Why?

I don’t know.

It is just my personal observation. Yes. A guess.
Ok. I guess it sounded good to you then.

Charles Freeman--The Closing of the Western Mind: The Rise of Faith and the Fall of Reason.

I like Charles Freeman. I will read anything he does. That's just me.
What? Mary Beard doesn't like the book? Oh, dear, whatever shall we do?

Get back to me when you read it, Ding.
David C. Lindberg, Ronald Numbers, John Morreall, David Bentley Hart, Glen Bowersock, and Mary Beard all disagreed with Freeman and gave compelling reasons for their beliefs.

Forum List

Back