Religion and Ethics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's Examine the Claims of Atheists

Chem Engineer

Mar 22, 2021
Let's Examine Claims of Atheists

The Fallacy of Science vs. Religion

The atheists' frequent claim that science and religion are mutually exclusive is demonstrably false. If atheists were as "rational" and "intelligent" as they are always claiming, they would not resort to mendacity. Science pursues truth.

The list of scientists as men and women faith is long and growing.

List of Christians in science and technology - Wikipedia

“Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. The notion that science and spirituality are somehow mutually exclusive does a disservice to both.”
” - Demon Haunted World, page 29, by Carl Sagan

“I believe in God more because of science than in spite of it.” – William Phillips, Nobel Laureate in Physics

and more in post one

=====

I am an Atheist, shall I ignore the hard nasty bashing made by a religionist?
IMO, threads like those belong in forums where bashing is authorized, aka Zone 3.

but for atheists, and assholes, (notice how I separate them), there is no place for them trolling in R&E.
I completely understand. You feel it is completely proper and even advised for religious folk to insult and degrade those who don't share their particular religious beliefs, and the victims of those attacks should just STFU and take it. Who could possibly find fault with that?

You feel it is completely proper and even advised for religious folk to insult and degrade those who don't share their particular religious beliefs, and the victims of those attacks should just STFU and take it.
IF you see that happening in a Zone One thread, ANY Zone One thread, report it, so it can be moved downstairs.
You don't see that claiming anyone who doesn't share their belief is deserving of hell as an insult? Really?

If someone doesn't believe they are going to Hell, then why would they feel insulted by someone else saying otherwise?

That's kinda like saying "if someone doesn't believe their mother is a 5 dollar whore, why would they feel insulted by someone else saying otherwise".

That's kinda like saying "if someone doesn't believe their mother is a 5 dollar whore, why would they feel insulted by someone else saying otherwise".

Yeah ... And?
It wouldn't take me tow seconds to say, "You obviously don't know my mother".

Can you imagine a religious discussion by Christians that didn't mention their only goal, which is an eternity in heaven to the exclusion of all that don't share their beliefs? No I can't either. Perhaps a private, invitation only thread where you don't have to allow any differences of opinion, but if you have an open discussion, it has to be open to even those that don't fall in line.

It is only intimidating to those who are weak in their own faith, or have no faith at all, and are insecure with that.

It doesn't matter what anyone at USMB posts, they aren't God.
I generally tell people who just want to be assholes and argue about it, to take it up with Him.

I'm not sure how you came up with intimidating.

Explain exactly why it bothers you that Christians don't behave the way you would like them to.
They bother you enough that you felt the need they have conversations restricted to themselves, when no one requires you to participate in any discussion.

They threaten your asinine attempts to marginalize them, because they won't accept your beliefs or lack thereof.
I am not saying that they are not just as intolerant, but you want them gone from the discussion.

1624405243946.png

*****CHUCKLE*****

:)

Explain exactly why it bothers you that Christians don't behave the way you would like them to.
They bother you enough that you felt the need they have conversations restricted to themselves, when no one requires you to participate in any discussion.

They threaten your asinine attempts to marginalize them, because they won't accept your beliefs or lack thereof.
I am not saying that they are not just as intolerant, but you want them gone from the discussion.

Now that's just nuts. Why would I want them gone from the discussion? Laughing at their twisted logic is the main reason I join in. If you are privy to the source of all morality, and the manufacturer of ---everything, you should be able to answer a few simple questions about it, shouldn't you? Perhaps you misunderstood my purpose. My meaning was that if you want to discuss your goofy beliefs without being bothered by others questioning your claims, you shouldn't have those discussions on a public forum.

Now that's just nuts. Why would I want them gone from the discussion? Laughing at their twisted logic is the main reason I join in. If you are privy to the source of all morality, and the manufacturer of ---everything, you should be able to answer a few simple questions about it, shouldn't you? Perhaps you misunderstood my purpose. My meaning was that if you want to discuss your goofy beliefs without being bothered by others questioning your claims, you shouldn't have those discussions on a public forum.

They didn't say anything about holding a private conversation ... You said that.
There you go again ... No one is asking you who should or shouldn't do what they feel like on a publics forum.

The topic of the thread is about moving the forum to Zone 1, because your only desire to engage in discussion is to laugh at them.
That's on you ... Not them.

Last edited:

Chem Engineer

Mar 22, 2021

The atheists' frequent claim that science and religion are mutually exclusive is demonstrably false. If atheists were as "rational" and "intelligent" as they are always claiming, they would not resort to mendacity. Science pursues truth.

“Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. The notion that science and spirituality are somehow mutually exclusive does a disservice to both.”

“I believe in God more because of science than in spite of it.” – William Phillips, Nobel Laureate in Physics

and more in post one

=====

IMO, threads like those belong in forums where bashing is authorized, aka Zone 3.

but for atheists, and assholes, (notice how I separate them), there is no place for them trolling in R&E.
I completely understand. You feel it is completely proper and even advised for religious folk to insult and degrade those who don't share their particular religious beliefs, and the victims of those attacks should just STFU and take it. Who could possibly find fault with that?

You feel it is completely proper and even advised for religious folk to insult and degrade those who don't share their particular religious beliefs, and the victims of those attacks should just STFU and take it.
IF you see that happening in a Zone One thread, ANY Zone One thread, report it, so it can be moved downstairs.
You don't see that claiming anyone who doesn't share their belief is deserving of hell as an insult? Really?

If someone doesn't believe they are going to Hell, then why would they feel insulted by someone else saying otherwise?

Dear BULLDOG
Imagine someone saying that to the Dalai Lama. Clearly that ill wishing talk reflects on the Speaker. The Dalai Lama does not argue back or take it personally, but responds with Compassion to someone like that.

That is what it means to be Christlike, and turn the other cheek.

The Buddhists and Christians I know seek to be the bigger person and see the other person with Compassion and Forgiveness/Grace.

If you want to take it personally when people project their internal conflicts onto you, the Internet will wear you thin. Because most of that IS projection. These people do not know you personally who say garbage like that. Of course it isn't about you.

The way I see to get anything meaningful out of such talk is to treat this projection as group therapy and venting, like 5 steps in grief recovery or 12 steps in overcoming denial and anger projection.

Blaming others is part of recovery.

Taking that personally is not going to help anyone.

Sorry if anyone insults you (or your mother) online. But if you are going to grow in positive ways from online interactions, I would not want you to grow bitter, discouraged, disheartened or disgusted.

I would want you to grow in Wisdom and Compassion by seeing people for who they are, not judging, but caring that they get help and support to work out their internal issues.

The way the Dalai Lama and Tibet Buddhists teach Compassion: Treat all beings as you would your own mother, because all living things are part of the Universe/Creation that produced you.

Believe what you want, but if you start claiming your god is the only source of all good things, it gets kinda insulting to those that don't share your devotion
The fact is, SOMEONE is right.

Atheists do EXACTLY the same thing, and you dont understand why WE would be insulted

Believe what you want, but if you start claiming your god is the only source of all good things, it gets kinda insulting to those that don't share your devotion
The fact is, SOMEONE is right.

Atheists do EXACTLY the same thing, and you dont understand why WE would be insulted

This is much uglier than the headline.

Chem Engineer

Mar 22, 2021

and more in post one

=====

Dear BULLDOG
Imagine someone saying that to the Dalai Lama. Clearly that ill wishing talk reflects on the Speaker. The Dalai Lama does not argue back or take it personally, but responds with Compassion to someone like that.

The Buddhists and Christians I know seek to be the bigger person and see the other person with Compassion and Forgiveness/Grace.

If you want to take it personally when people project their internal conflicts onto you, the Internet will wear you thin. Because most of that IS projection. These people do not know you personally who say garbage like that. Of course it isn't about you.

The way I see to get anything meaningful out of such talk is to treat this projection as group therapy and venting, like 5 steps in grief recovery or 12 steps in overcoming denial and anger projection.

Sorry if anyone insults you (or your mother) online. But if you are going to grow in positive ways from online interactions, I would not want you to grow bitter, discouraged, disheartened or disgusted.

I would want you to grow in Wisdom and Compassion by seeing people for who they are, not judging, but caring that they get help and support to work out their internal issues.

The way the Dalai Lama and Tibet Buddhists teach Compassion: Treat all beings as you would your own mother, because all living things are part of the Universe/Creation that produced you.
Surely you aren't trying to compare the religious nuts on the internet with the Dalai Lama. When is the last time you saw him post something like " You're evil and love to kill babies. You deserve to suffer in hell for eternity" on a discussion board? Seems you are confusing responding in kind with bitterness.

Chem Engineer

Mar 22, 2021

and more in post one

=====

Dear BULLDOG

Surely you aren't trying to compare the religious nuts on the internet with the Dalai Lama. When is the last time you saw him post something like " You're evil and love to kill babies. You deserve to suffer in hell for eternity" on a discussion board? Seems you are confusing responding in kind with bitterness.

BREAK THE CHAIN

I'M GETTING ALERTS FOR A THREAD I'M NO LONGER INVOLVED IN.

The Dalai Lama is as human as you are, and the people you describe as religious nuts.
There's no need to deny a comparison based in what is equal to all.

emilynghiem ... Just pointed out the difference between the Dalai Lama, and a lot of other humans, to include you.

left the thread said:
Will left said:

Chem Engineer

Mar 22, 2021

and more in post one

=====

Dear BULLDOG

Dear BULLDOG
The main difference is people are going through different stages of grief and recovery.

The same creatures that look different in their caterpillar stage, pupae and butterfly stages are still the same beings though their external shell or appearance changes. They even eat different diets to grow through different stages in their life cycle.

How you enjoy your relationships and journey through life depends how you see people.

If you want to waste your mental energy judging people back by how they appear and talk to you and others, that is on you.

To me, even Christians who aren't fully practicing what their faith message really means, are going through stages of growth.

I can either grow in a positive direction while helping others to grow bigger and better. Or I can stay stuck in the same negative mudslinging food fights if we just want to vent all day using the other as target practice.

We can either grow up or grow down.

I prefer to speak to the bigger person inside and better side of people.

I encourage you to do the same, for your own benefit and peace of mind.

I do not see how stooping to lower levels helps anyone. If they are venting and projecting, like a baby caterpillar pooping all over the place, the sooner we get past this phase we can move to the cocoon phase.

If people are fighting and pushing to break out of their shells, the sooner we get past that phase we can move on to growing stronger wings and flying.

These are the same creatures no matter what stage they appear at the time.

It does not help them to grow up by bashing them back.

I believe in respecting and caring for others in ways I want others to care and respect one another, including me.

Someone has to be the adult in the room.

Someday we will all grow up and outgrow these caterpillar games of pooping everywhere!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back