Reincarnation or one and done?

Who knows what lies beyond. What if faith is required to find out? What if what lies beyond only exists if you have faith that it does?
There is a difference between
Faith in facts.
vs
Faith in fantasy.

Both kinds of faith exist, but the former is less likely to lead to disappointment.

Who knows what lies beyond. What if faith is required to find out? What if what lies beyond only exists if you have faith that it does?
Faith in facts.
vs
Faith in fantasy.

Both kinds of faith exist, but the former is less likely to lead to disappointment.
That wouldn't be the Darwinian view.

People said to Jesus that it was said that Elijah must come back first. Jesus said that he had already come.
I believe that He was referring to John.
This passage has always troubled me. I don't believe that I know everything that I think I know.

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
- Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio

A closed mind is a terrible thing to waste.
- task0778 to anybody

Faith in facts.
vs
Faith in fantasy.

Please enlighten us on what your mind thinks is the Darwinian view ...

Faith in facts.
vs
Faith in fantasy.

You don’t know how natural selection works?

Faith in facts.
vs
Faith in fantasy.

You don’t realize that natural selection is based on facts, not fantasy?

Faith in facts.
vs
Faith in fantasy.

I bet you can’t even name the two main components of natural selection.

Faith in facts.
vs
Faith in fantasy.

Apparently you don’t know what those facts are.

Faith in facts.
vs
Faith in fantasy.

You don’t have any facts.

Given what I know about western religions, I'm having a little problem with the idea that we're born, live, and die only once, and if by then you haven't accepted the belief in and love of God then you're basically screwed. No salvation for you bub, and in fact Hell might be waiting for you to show up. Or the alternative that there's nothing after you die, no Heaven or Hell or anything else.

Okay, that's possible. I'm not about to crap on somebody else's beliefs/religion, since I don't know what is and isn't true any more than the next person if there even is an afterlife. BUT - there are plenty of documented stories of people who actually died and came back to report floating above their body and seeing people standing around the room before they came back to life. They were clinically dead, but were resuscitated and their accounts have a lot of similarities.

There are also numerous accounts of hypnotized people who have be regressed into a prior life, speak another language, even an extinct language, and relay information about a time and place they've never been in their current life. Who is to say what the truth really is? How do you explain a 5-year old kid who 60 years later can provide minutia about a WWII navy aircraft pilot who was shot down and killed in 1945, that just isn't available anywhere on-line? They weren't related in any way, so how does this kid know this stuff? And there are thousands of like stories, are they all liars or con artists of some kind? The kid wasn't under hypnosis when he told his parents all this information.

Reincarnation though implies an afterlife, somewhere that your spirit/soul goes after your physical body dies. And after awhile, your spirit/soul comes back in a new life, new body, new time, new place. Possible? As much as anything else is, I guess. And reincarnation also implies a God, or some kind of intelligent energy that set all this up in the 1st place.

Why would we reincarnate? Damned if I know, [hopefully not really] maybe partly to atone for past misdeeds, or help some other spirit/soul atone for theirs or for other reasons. For sure it ain't no piece of cake down here, not exactly a vacation. But I guess the one and done concept doesn't work for me, it's hard to accept that I'm effed if I don't really believe in the salvation that most churches promise. And I don't believe in damnation either, without any evidence that the salvation story is true. So, I'm looking deeper into this reincarnation thing, I kinda like it.
I would like to think, yes believe, that the universe is information and maybe our essence, conscience, soul is "downloaded" and we yet have to learn the ability to tap into that reservoir of information. That we are simply one sense or bit of a much larger universal consciousness.

The notion of it all going black seems a waste and pointless.

You don’t have any facts.
You know even less than PK.

Given what I know about western religions, I'm having a little problem with the idea that we're born, live, and die only once, and if by then you haven't accepted the belief in and love of God then you're basically screwed. No salvation for you bub, and in fact Hell might be waiting for you to show up. Or the alternative that there's nothing after you die, no Heaven or Hell or anything else.

Okay, that's possible. I'm not about to crap on somebody else's beliefs/religion, since I don't know what is and isn't true any more than the next person if there even is an afterlife. BUT - there are plenty of documented stories of people who actually died and came back to report floating above their body and seeing people standing around the room before they came back to life. They were clinically dead, but were resuscitated and their accounts have a lot of similarities.

There are also numerous accounts of hypnotized people who have be regressed into a prior life, speak another language, even an extinct language, and relay information about a time and place they've never been in their current life. Who is to say what the truth really is? How do you explain a 5-year old kid who 60 years later can provide minutia about a WWII navy aircraft pilot who was shot down and killed in 1945, that just isn't available anywhere on-line? They weren't related in any way, so how does this kid know this stuff? And there are thousands of like stories, are they all liars or con artists of some kind? The kid wasn't under hypnosis when he told his parents all this information.

Reincarnation though implies an afterlife, somewhere that your spirit/soul goes after your physical body dies. And after awhile, your spirit/soul comes back in a new life, new body, new time, new place. Possible? As much as anything else is, I guess. And reincarnation also implies a God, or some kind of intelligent energy that set all this up in the 1st place.

Why would we reincarnate? Damned if I know, [hopefully not really] maybe partly to atone for past misdeeds, or help some other spirit/soul atone for theirs or for other reasons. For sure it ain't no piece of cake down here, not exactly a vacation. But I guess the one and done concept doesn't work for me, it's hard to accept that I'm effed if I don't really believe in the salvation that most churches promise. And I don't believe in damnation either, without any evidence that the salvation story is true. So, I'm looking deeper into this reincarnation thing, I kinda like it.
I would like to think, yes believe, that the universe is information and maybe our essence, conscience, soul is "downloaded" and we yet have to learn the ability to tap into that reservoir of information. That we are simply one sense or bit of a much larger universal consciousness.

Maybe all living creatures are just one living creature, in higher spatial dimensions.

Maybe all living creatures are just one living creature, in higher spatial dimensions.
If we exist in 4 dimensions that we know of, why couldn't parts of us such as our consciousness or sub conscious exist in other parallel dimensions simultaneously?
Do we in a dream state already tap into that realm outside space and time with no understanding of it?
We are energy after all with our brains producing electrical impulses. We are basically computers made of meat.
Just rambling here, but crazy crap I like to ponder.

If we exist in 4 dimensions that we know of, why couldn't parts of us such as our consciousness or sub conscious exist in other parallel dimensions simultaneously
Maybe they do. If you stick your fingers through the surface of a body of water, note what a 2 dimensional being living on the surface observes: 4 circles that appear out of nowhere and expand. The "flatman" doesnt know your fingers or the shapes he sees are actually connected (by your hand) in a higher spatial dimension.

Now imagine all humans -- or all life -- as those circles in that surface, all connected in a higher spatial dimension.

If we exist in 4 dimensions that we know of, why couldn't parts of us such as our consciousness or sub conscious exist in other parallel dimensions simultaneously
Maybe they do. If you stick your fingers through the surface of a body of water, note what a 2 dimensional being living on the surface observes: 4 circles that appear out of nowhere and expand. The "flatman" doesnt know your fingers or the shapes he sees are actually connected (by your hand) in a higher spatial dimension.

Now imagine all humans -- or all life -- as those circles in that surface, all connected in a higher spatial dimension.
Cool thought.
In a way almost describes the connection ancient people felt to the natural world, even using substances to reach into the "spirit world" for lack of better terminology of the times. A connection to the natural order. Circle of life.
Modern governments of the twentieth century experimenting with the concepts of ESP, precognition, telepathy, clairvoyance. A mental connection to the quantum realm.
Do we have the ability through evolution to become something more? We know very little of the brain, its abilities, its true capacity.
I can't believe this will be our same form if we made it another 500 million years.

Forum List

Back