Regrettable': Germany reacts to Trump plan to withdraw US troops

While I think his reasoning was petty and retaliatory, I agree with the US withdrawing troops from Europe.

We need to stop being policemen to the world. Especially to those who are more than capable of defending themselves. The EU is as big in population and economically as the US. They are also much bigger than the Russians.

Let them fight their own wars
exactly. and let the USA transport their casualties in the middle east directly to US bases in the USA. coordinate their dronestrikes from the USA. rotate their troops without touching down in ramstein. i am all for it.
I didn‘t say eliminate all the bases but to reduce our presence in a theater where it is not needed.

You are in danger to be totally thrown out of Germany, because many Germans are tired about the idiotic games of the USA. If you have to reduce your army here: do it. But to say that's the fault of Germany is nothing else than a most lousy excuse for the malfunction of the leading idiot of your country.
I don’t think anything is Germany’s fault. But their alliance is much stronger than Russia’s and they are fully capable of waging military and economic warfare against the Russians without extensive US support.
and Germany will even fare better, as soon as US warfare is no longer waged using Germany as staging ground, planning center, and hospital.

While I think his reasoning was petty and retaliatory, I agree with the US withdrawing troops from Europe.

We need to stop being policemen to the world. Especially to those who are more than capable of defending themselves. The EU is as big in population and economically as the US. They are also much bigger than the Russians.

exactly. and let the USA transport their casualties in the middle east directly to US bases in the USA. coordinate their dronestrikes from the USA. rotate their troops without touching down in ramstein. i am all for it.
I didn‘t say eliminate all the bases but to reduce our presence in a theater where it is not needed.

You are in danger to be totally thrown out of Germany, because many Germans are tired about the idiotic games of the USA. If you have to reduce your army here: do it. But to say that's the fault of Germany is nothing else than a most lousy excuse for the malfunction of the leading idiot of your country.
I don’t think anything is Germany’s fault. But their alliance is much stronger than Russia’s and they are fully capable of waging military and economic warfare against the Russians without extensive US support.
and Germany will even fare better, as soon as US warfare is no longer waged using Germany as staging ground, planning center, and hospital.
I doubt if most Germans would object if we withdrew our troops

I doubt if most Germans would object if we withdrew our troops
i guess for the surrounding towns it will be a temporary economic slump. but they will get over it. most of the troops have gone since 1990, and Germany somehow is still okay.

Who said anything about threats?
I did

the threat to the EU is coming from china not the US
6rZ8g8R.jpeg

This is an interesting development.

Germany balances its annual budget every year. It can afford to defend itself.

This year alone, the US has ran up over 4 trillon dollars of debt. If they don't start withdrawing troops, bankruptcy will force withdrawal.

We still have close to 200,000 troops in 150 countries as it is. Around 180, 000 last I checked.

The neocons who occupy both mainstream American political parties are the only ones pitching a fit about troop withdrawal.

Just Trump doing what he ran on.....we need to bring our troops home from wherever we can....

While I agree that we need to bring them home, Trump will likely just move those troops some place else, as he's done before.

Trump hasn't shown any genuine interest in actually bringing troops home. He's been all talk on the matter. The only reason we're hearing about it now is because we're a few months from the general.

He did partly run on bringing them home. He's yet to keep his word. It will be remembered.

Last edited:
me: "why not both."
We are not threatening the EU
trump is constantly threatening, this current hissy fit is merely another episode in his approach at "governing" and engaging with "allies".
Trump can be blunt at times

but wimps like bush and obama were not getting results either

personalities aside, mutual action against china is in many nations best interests

hopefully the euros are not too thin skinned to see that

me: "why not both."
We are not threatening the EU
trump is constantly threatening, this current hissy fit is merely another episode in his approach at "governing" and engaging with "allies".
Trump can be blunt at times

but wimps like bush and obama were not getting results either

personalities aside, mutual action against china is in many nations best interests

hopefully the euros are not too thin skinned to see that
i guess the "euros" will just wait and see what the best greatest country evah decides in their banana republic elections in november.

While I agree that we need to bring them home, Trump will likely just move those troops some place else.
Trump is fighting against embedded obamaites left over in the military who are “agin” whatever he is “fer”

i guess the "euros" will just wait and see what the best greatest country evah decides in their banana republic elections in november.
It will be an important election with china and the democrats on one side against trump and American workers on the other side

but the “America First” crowd would rebel.
I am part of the America First “crowd” and I say you are wrong

Really?

What global alliances do you support?
NATO, our alliances with Japan, S Korea, Taiwan.

and if we can have stronger ties with SE Asia against the common threat from china I support that also
We had a TPP alliance to economically compete with China
Trump cancelled it

America First

Forum List

Back