Refugee crisis sparks debate on role of rich Gulf countries

Sally

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2012
Looks like they don't like being criticized about helping the refugees. One thing that should be obvious to others is that many of these refugees wouldn't even went to go and settle in Saudi Arabia. Saudi Arabia would treat them the same as they do the other foreign laborers and put them straight to work. No freebies for refugees here.
Refugee crisis sparks debate on role of rich Gulf countries
Media, Saudis dispute amount of aid rendered

Migrants, mostly Syrians, listen to an Arabic speaker talk to them about their future as they rest in a stadium used for traditional Kirkpinar Oil Wrestling, while waiting to cross to Europe near Turkey’s western border with Greece and Bulgaria, ... more >

By Guy Taylor - The Washington Times - Wednesday, September 23, 2015
The refugee crisis surging from the Middle East to Europe has ignited a heated debate over the extent to which the Persian Gulf’s wealthiest nations — namely Saudi Arabia — are doing enough to take in and help the hundreds of thousands of displaced people.

Recent weeks have spawned conflicting headlines on the question, with some of the biggest Western news organizations claiming that the Saudis have done next to nothing to help Syrian refugees.

It’s a situation that doesn’t sit well with Riyadh, which has responded with claims that the kingdom has taken in millions of Syrians and spent more than a half-billion dollars to help stem the crisis.

Continue reading at:

Syrian refugees being shunned by Gulf states - Washington Times

Isn't it strange that this board applauds Hungary for turning refugees away, and then vilifies Saudi Arabia for (supposedly) doing the same thing. They just loooove to have it both ways around here.

Isn't it strange that this board applauds Hungary for turning refugees away, and then vilifies Saudi Arabia for (supposedly) doing the same thing. They just loooove to have it both ways around here.

So. Pogo, why don't you tell us the amount of money Hungary is raking in each year and then tell us the amount of money Saudi Arabia is raking in. That way we can tell which country can actually afford helping refugees.

I don't think that the U.S. could handle the on-rush of so many refugees trying to come in at once.

So. Pogo, why don't you tell us the amount of money Hungary is raking in each year and then tell us the amount of money Saudi Arabia is raking in. That way we can tell which country can actually afford helping refugees.

I don't think that the U.S. could handle the on-rush of so many refugees trying to come in at once.

My point had absolutely nothing to do with money.

Humanitarianism really isn't related to money. If you're hungry I'm going to feed you whether I'm filthy rich or it's my last crumb. But that isn't the point.

My point had absolutely nothing to do with money.

Humanitarianism really isn't related to money. If you're hungry I'm going to feed you whether I'm filthy rich or it's my last crumb. But that isn't the point.

Tell you what, Pogo, you try to convince the King of Saudi Arabia and the other leaders of the oil-rich Gulf countries to take in some of their Muslim brethren who will feel comfortable among people with basically the same culture and where there are many mosques in which they can worship.. If you hear back positively from them, then I will contact the leaders of Hungary and say "Look what Pogo has accomplished. Would it be possible for you to do the same?"

For the life of me, I don't know how many of these European countries are going to accommodate such a huge number of refugees when they have problems helping their own.

Charity gives night bus tickets to young homeless people - BBC News

Forum List

Back