Reforming The Civil Service

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
This should be a huge priority for the Trump administration. As someone who's dealt with it, I can confirm that it's nearly impossible to fire lazy and nonproductive employees.

And remember, this requires legislative action which means Congress must act. Therein lies the problem. The SIEU represents most government employees and will fight tooth and nail to keep things the way they are. Democrats dare not turn their back on this huge union and I doubt a lot of Republicans are any different.

Anyone familiar with the internal operations of government knows that 30% is a conservative figure for the number of federal employees who do nothing. Allowing a tough, business-oriented president like Trump to dramatically reduce the size of the federal government would also reduce the cost of government – and all this could be done expeditiously.

(I personally think it's a much higher percentage. And those who do work do so in order to improve their chances for promotion.)

Read much more @ Articles: How to Reform the Civil Service

Yes those 30 percent remind me of corporate officials...extremely lazy and overpaid...laughing and actively finding ways to undercut the people doing the actual work.

This should be a huge priority for the Trump administration. As someone who's dealt with it, I can confirm that it's nearly impossible to fire lazy and nonproductive employees.

And remember, this requires legislative action which means Congress must act. Therein lies the problem. The SIEU represents most government employees and will fight tooth and nail to keep things the way they are. Democrats dare not turn their back on this huge union and I doubt a lot of Republicans are any different.

Anyone familiar with the internal operations of government knows that 30% is a conservative figure for the number of federal employees who do nothing. Allowing a tough, business-oriented president like Trump to dramatically reduce the size of the federal government would also reduce the cost of government – and all this could be done expeditiously.

(I personally think it's a much higher percentage. And those who do work do so in order to improve their chances for promotion.)

As a retired Federal employee, I not only agree with you wholeheartedly but today I applied to work in the Trump Administration specifically to work on civil service reform.

As a retired Federal employee, I not only agree with you wholeheartedly but today I applied to work in the Trump Administration specifically to work on civil service reform.

Good for you. No one better than someone who's been there.

Where you'll quickly join the ranks of the 30% no doubt.

Where you'll quickly join the ranks of the 30% no doubt.

I AM currently retired. I retired under Obama because I could and because I did not like his policies.

Works both ways.

How Trump Can Defeat the Establishment Bureaucracy

While he has 4,000 presidential appointments to make, President-elect Trump's appointees will have to deal with 2.79 million non-uniformed civil servants. Of that number, about 28% are members of labor unions.

Here’s some facts from the Center for Responsive Politics.

The SEIU is headquartered in Washington and has 1.9 million members. Since 1989 the SEIU has given $238 million to political candidates, making them the number one political contributor with 100% going to Democrats. The number three biggest contributor is the National Education Association, their 3 million members having given $114 million, 97% going to Democrats. The number four contributor is the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees. Their 1.6 million members gave $100 million with 99% going to Democrats. The number nine biggest contributor is the American Federation of Teachers who gave $81 million, 100% going to Democrats. They have 1.6 million members in 3,000 localities nationwide.

So, even if Trump makes a major effort to seek legislative support for government employee reforms, he's facing a massive fight back from unions. My only hope in this is how many government employees are union members only because of pressure placed upon them by agency rules and their supervisors? How many honest, hard working employees WANT to see reforms made to the Civil Service Act?

Read more more with a whole lot of links @ Articles: How Trump Can Defeat the Establishment Bureaucracy

While he has 4,000 presidential appointments to make, President-elect Trump's appointees will have to deal with 2.79 million non-uniformed civil servants. Of that number, about 28% are members of labor unions.

The SEIU is headquartered in Washington and has 1.9 million members. Since 1989 the SEIU has given $238 million to political candidates, making them the number one political contributor with 100% going to Democrats. The number three biggest contributor is the National Education Association, their 3 million members having given $114 million, 97% going to Democrats. The number four contributor is the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees. Their 1.6 million members gave $100 million with 99% going to Democrats. The number nine biggest contributor is the American Federation of Teachers who gave $81 million, 100% going to Democrats. They have 1.6 million members in 3,000 localities nationwide.

So, even if Trump makes a major effort to seek legislative support for government employee reforms, he's facing a massive fight back from unions. My only hope in this is how many government employees are union members only because of pressure placed upon them by agency rules and their supervisors? How many honest, hard working employees WANT to see reforms made to the Civil Service Act?

Read more more with a whole lot of links @ Articles: How Trump Can Defeat the Establishment Bureaucracy

Here's the good news on that -- collective bargaining in the Federal government is not only limited, it is permitted only through Executive Orders.

Revoke the EOs. No unions.

Honest, hardworking employees do want changes. Every single annual survey wants poor performers dealt with , and the unfairness of the appraisal and recognition system fixed.

BTW, AFSCME, NEA and SEIU do not represent Federal employees. The biggest union is AFGE.

Forum List

Back