Reelected & new Repubs refusing Norquist kool aid?

Dot Com

Nullius in verba
Feb 15, 2011
Fairfax, NoVA
Hmmm. Very interesting development :eusa_think:

He offered (demanded they sign) his gridlock pledge :deal: as usual & they said :up_yours:

Norquist pledge takes election hit - The Hill
About a dozen newly elected House Republicans refused to sign the anti-tax pledge during their campaigns, and another handful of returning Republicans have disavowed their allegiance to the written commitment.

102017600.jpg

Lockstep Republicanism has begun to atrophy? I'll believe it when I see it. Remember, the first question a member of the House of Representatives asks when faced with voting on a bill is this: "How will this effect me?"

House and even most Senate Republicans know failing to toe the line results in a loss to their bottom line - campaign funds. Country first is only a slogan, much like compassionate conservative and the party of the big tent. One false move or comment and the label RINO is attached to them forever.

Lockstep Republicanism has begun to atrophy? I'll believe it when I see it. Remember, the first question a member of the House of Representatives asks when faced with voting on a bill is this: "How will this effect me?"

House and even most Senate Republicans know failing to toe the line results in a loss to their bottom line - campaign funds. Country first is only a slogan, much like compassionate conservative and the party of the big tent. One false move or comment and the label RINO is attached to them forever.

true. could just be their game face.

I think this is tidal gravity. Unless they are completely retarded, they know that we are not going to get out of our current fiscal mess without both cuts to entitlements and tax increases.

They are just trying to finess it so Obama takes the hit and they don't. "Well, we tried to work with the president, and he raised your taxes!"

Norquist is a publicity seeking self promoter whose period of fame is gone. That being said, he did have a point that Bush Sr.'s eagerness to compromise plays directly into the cynical blame game played so expertly by the Democrats. The lesson to be learned is that the Democrats should be forced to introduce their own tax/spending bill, with Republicans allowing it to pass by abstaining from the vote. This would place responsibility for the results squarely on the Democrats, who would then have a much harder time blaming the GOP for all of the Nation's ills.

Norquist is a publicity seeking self promoter whose period of fame is gone. That being said, he did have a point that Bush Sr.'s eagerness to compromise plays directly into the cynical blame game played so expertly by the Democrats. The lesson to be learned is that the Democrats should be forced to introduce their own tax/spending bill, with Republicans allowing it to pass by abstaining from the vote. This would place responsibility for the results squarely on the Democrats, who would then have a much harder time blaming the GOP for all of the Nation's ills.

Hmm....... Let's see. The First Great Republican Depression. The worst recession we have ever had, almost became the Second Great Republican Depression. Then there was the Iraq war. And a little matter of Reagan quadrupling the National Debt. And who pushed for the repeal of Glass-Steagal?

Yes, the GOP does bear the responsibility for a good many of this nations ills.

Hmm....... Let's see. The First Great Republican Depression. The worst recession we have ever had, almost became the Second Great Republican Depression. Then there was the Iraq war. And a little matter of Reagan quadrupling the National Debt. And who pushed for the repeal of Glass-Steagal?

Yes, the GOP does bear the responsibility for a good many of this nations ills.

yep. the legislation was called the Gramm (R) Leach (R), Bliley (R) Act ;)

Grover must be melt down mode...
EVERYONE knows about his zaney "pledge" now that the Repubs are req'd to sign. Much like Repub's were req'd not to dismiss Rush as a dope-fiend/law breaker ;)

I wish HE was "small enough to drown in a bathtub". Grover Norquist - Wikiquote

Here's a good one of his:

"Our goal is to inflict pain. It is not good enough to win; it has to be a painful and devastating defeat. We're sending a message here. It is like when the king would take his opponent's head and spike it on a pole for everyone to see."

:rofl:

Last edited:
More Fever Breaking
8:00 a.m. E.T.

The Wall Street Journal’s write-up of Friday’s White House meeting with the congressional leadership offers more proof that the President’s argument that the partisan fever would break after he was re-elected was spot on:

Perhaps the most remarkable feature of the meeting, aides on both sides of the aisle said, was the absence of partisan jockeying that often marks these summits.

Although the tax issue was far from resolved, participants agreed to focus on their areas of general agreement instead of highlighting differences, a remarkable shift in tone just 10 days after an election campaign marked by bitter rhetoric over taxes.

Even the distractions over Petraeus, Libya, etc., are not getting in the way of the glasnost.

More Fever Breaking
8:00 a.m. E.T.

The Wall Street Journal’s write-up of Friday’s White House meeting with the congressional leadership offers more proof that the President’s argument that the partisan fever would break after he was re-elected was spot on:

Perhaps the most remarkable feature of the meeting, aides on both sides of the aisle said, was the absence of partisan jockeying that often marks these summits.

Although the tax issue was far from resolved, participants agreed to focus on their areas of general agreement instead of highlighting differences, a remarkable shift in tone just 10 days after an election campaign marked by bitter rhetoric over taxes.

Even the distractions over Petraeus, Libya, etc., are not getting in the way of the glasnost.

Mark Halperin is one of my favorite talking heads. He is a regular on Morning Joe and always tells it the way he sees it. He has given some very accurate DC insider views.

I always thought it was pretty scary that the entire R congress was so will to take their orders from a guy who has never run for office, has never been voted for and whose "pledge" was completely counter to the that other pledge the congress takes. The one that says they work FOR the people.

When are the Rs gonna cut the crap and actually go to work FOR us? I mean, like actually vote for a bill that could result in jobs and economic growth instead of the stupid anti-freedom crap they vote in favor of.

Grover's demise begins the slow and agonizing task to remove the dying Tea Baggers from Congress. Since they are unable to compromise and unwilling to accept anyone else's views, the process will be long and painful.

I expect a silver bullet is now being molded for the extremely unsavory, yet hopeful, task of taking out Batcrazy Bachmann. The last election was a shot over the bow for her to heed. She will not and so she will not be....very soon.

why bother, it was more amusing watching the lib circle jerk over a few people not signing something

sheeesh:cuckoo:

Forum List

Back