Red states vs Blue states

task0778

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2017
Texas hill country
Check out the numbers from the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

As of September 18, 2020, these are the 10 states with the lowest unemployment rates in the country: NE; UT; ID; SD; VT; ND; AL; GA; MT and OK. The 10 states with the highest unemployment rates, all in excess of 10%, are: PA; NJ; IL; MA; NM; CA; HI; NY; RI and NV.

[ I'll help you out: the 10 states with the lowest UE are Nebraska, Utah, Idaho, South Dakota, Vermont, North Dakota, Alabama, Georgia, Montana, and Oklahoma. ]
[ The 10 states with the highest UE are Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Illinois, Massachusetts, New Mexico, California, Hawaii, New York, Rhode Island, and Nevada. ]

See a pattern? Of the 10 states with the lowest unemployment rates, only Montana has a Democrat governor. Of the 10 states with the highest unemployment rates, only one, Massachusetts, has a Republican governor. Additionally, of the 10 states with the highest unemployment rates, all have Democrat control of both houses of the state legislature except for Pennsylvania, with Republican control of both houses.

As I started my research at the Bureau of Labor Statistics website, it became immediately apparent that the job losses in NM are primarily limited to the private sector, and that the public sector has been largely untouched. What about the other terrible ten states? I found a similar pattern. For the year ending in August of 2020, here are the numbers:

Note that in every state of the terrible ten, the loss of government employment has been substantially less than the overall nonfarm labor loss percentage. The average government job loss of 3.79% is just 38% (3.79/9.75) of the average for all nonfarm labor loss. In other words, it is 62% less. On a percentage basis, government losses have been 88% less than the leisure and hospitality industries. So much for sharing the pain by government. Particular scorn should be heaped on the State of Hawaii, that made the great sacrifice of reducing its government workforce by 6 tenths of one percent while its leisure and hospitality industry suffered catastrophic losses of over 50%.

OK let's be honest here, there are a number of factors that go into why one state has lower unemployment numbers than another. Taxes for one. The regulatory environment for another. Lately public safety and security is in play for those states experiencing problems maintaining law and order. I would posit that those states where UE is worse that it's because the governance therein is by and large unfriendly to business unless it relates to the politics of the party in charge. And when you see that the private sector in blue states are getting whacked for job losses at almost a 2 to 1 ratio over the public sector, then it makes you wonder. And that is the basis on the Democratic Party, bigger and more wasteful gov't over individual innovation and hard work.

If Biden gets elected and the Dems gain control in the Senate and keep the House then those 10 states with the highest UE rates will get bailed out. No question about it. And they'll continue their prolific spending until they need another bailout in a few years time. And the UE rates will climb higher and higher because the private sector becomes less and less viable as taxes and regulations rise. Sooner or later though, the reckoning arrives; the longer it takes to get here the more painful it will be.

Last edited:
Check out the numbers from the Bureau of Labor Statistics as of this month thru Sept 2020.

As of September 18, 2020, these are the 10 states with the lowest unemployment rates in the country: NE; UT; ID; SD; VT; ND; AL; GA; MT and OK. The 10 states with the highest unemployment rates, all in excess of 10%, are: PA; NJ; IL; MA; NM; CA; HI; NY; RI and NV.

[ I'll help you out: the 10 states with the lowest UE are Nebraska, Utah, Idaho, South Dakota, Vermont, North Dakota, Alabama, Georgia, Montana, and Oklahoma. ]
[ The 10 states with the highest UE are Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Illinois, Massachusetts, New Mexico, California, Hawaii, New York, Rhode Island, and Nevada. ]

See a pattern? Of the 10 states with the lowest unemployment rates, only Montana has a Democrat governor. Of the 10 states with the highest unemployment rates, only one, Massachusetts, has a Republican governor. Additionally, of the 10 states with the highest unemployment rates, all have Democrat control of both houses of the state legislature except for Pennsylvania, with Republican control of both houses.

As I started my research at the Bureau of Labor Statistics website, it became immediately apparent that the job losses in NM are primarily limited to the private sector, and that the public sector has been largely untouched. What about the other terrible ten states? I found a similar pattern. For the year ending in August of 2020, here are the numbers:

Note that in every state of the terrible ten, the loss of government employment has been substantially less than the overall nonfarm labor loss percentage. The average government job loss of 3.79% is just 38% (3.79/9.75) of the average for all nonfarm labor loss. In other words, it is 62% less. On a percentage basis, government losses have been 88% less than the leisure and hospitality industries. So much for sharing the pain by government. Particular scorn should be heaped on the State of Hawaii, that made the great sacrifice of reducing its government workforce by 6 tenths of one percent while its leisure and hospitality industry suffered catastrophic losses of over 50%.

OK let's be honest here, there are a number of factors that go into why one state has lower unemployment numbers than another. Taxes for one. The regulatory environment for another. Lately public safety and security is in play for those states experiencing problems maintaining law and order. I would posit that those states where UE is worse that it's because the governance therein is by and large unfriendly to business unless it relates to the politics of the party in charge. And when you see that the private sector in blue states are getting whacked for job losses at almost a 2 to 1 ratio over the public sector, then it makes you wonder. And that is the basis on the Democratic Party, bigger and more wasteful gov't over individual innovation and hard work.

If Biden gets elected and the Dems gain control in the Senate and keep the House then those 10 states with the highest UE rates will get bailed out. No question about it. And they'll continue their prolific spending until they need another bailout in a few years time. And the UE rates will climb higher and higher because the private sector becomes less and less viable as taxes and regulations rise. Sooner or later though, the reckoning arrives; the longer it takes to get here the more painful it will be.
Check out your highest and lowest states for Covid deaths next.....guess what??

Check out the numbers from the Bureau of Labor Statistics as of this month thru Sept 2020.

I am sure most if not all of those 10 worst UE states also have the strictest lockdown rules. Which certainly does not help their UE numbers. It's hard to understand, it really is: the democrats running these cities and states are screwing their own residents. For political reasons.

I am sure most if not all of those 10 worst UE states also have the strictest lockdown rules. Which certainly does not help their UE numbers. It's hard to understand, it really is: the democrats running these cities and states are screwing their own residents. For political reasons.
....and have the highest death rates from the virus.

Forum List

Back