"Recipeless" cooking

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
How often do you make a dish without a recipe?
Not talking about remaking dishes you already know, but simply go into the kitchen and just create?
For me, my best dishes are when I wing it. Problem with that of course, is sometimes I make something that ends up being really good and later I forget what I did.

Not talking about remaking dishes you already know, but simply go into the kitchen and just create?
For me, my best dishes are when I wing it. Problem with that of course, is sometimes I make something that ends up being really good and later I forget what I did.
I have no idea what you are talking about. How do you make a dish without preheating the oven to 400 degrees, going to the freezer and put it in?

I was born into a family of Dago gourmet cooks. All my life I've been served the best of many ethnic dishes. Never lifted a finger. Nothing. I can't even make instant coffee.

Now I probably sound like a real spoiled sob and I am. But in my defense I have done many dishes before I plopped my arse down for the 2nd half

My wife likes to make mixed up experimental stuff cooked to death for hours on the stove. I always tell her it's good even when it's not. There are trillions of recipes on the internet. Why does anyone think they can come up with something better?

My wife likes to make mixed up experimental stuff cooked to death for hours on the stove. I always tell her it's good even when it's not. There are trillions of recipes on the internet. Why does anyone think they can come up with something better?
TBH - most of the recipes on various internet sites are garbage and/or ploys to buy their products.

About once a month. I have a cookbook problem. I have to justify my purchase. I can be creative right before grocery shopping and when my kid is home.

I walk in hangry and depending on what time I get home depends on what I cook or if I cook. I have been known to use "intermittent fasting" also known as FTS.

TBH - most of the recipes on various internet sites are garbage and/or ploys to buy their products.
Works fine for me but I rarely cook anything you have to fuss over so much that the recipe is crucial. I'm what you would call a southern cook. There's only so many ways to fry things up with gravy on top.

Sometimes your screw ups end up being great.
The Wife and I made some beef carnitas and what came out was so much better than usual. And of course now we cant figure out how we did it.
We've remade it several times and it was nothing like the first time.
It actually had an almost sweet taste but we cant figure what ingredient we screwed up.
I'm guessing at this point we had a mislabeled can.

But yeah,we wing it sometimes and it's usually hit or miss.

The Wife and I have come to the conclusion that most internet recipes suck!!!!
We do however have several cooks that we follow that make real Southern Recipes or Mexican recipes.
When it's a recipe from the North it's almost guaranteed to suck.
Our taste buds are just to different and it seems like all northern recipes lack spice and are really bland.

While sometimes I may just wing it.....most often I'll start with an established recipe, but make changes as I go along so the finished product is nothing like the recipe that started it..........and yeah, I can never recreate the same thing two times in a row. So at our house, it's always a surprise.

I love cooking and, in the years immediately following my divorce, I got pretty good at it.

I almost never use a recipe. Normally, if I use a recipe I end up altering it in some way or another. I'm at the point where I'm, comfortably optimistic when I step into the kitchen...

While sometimes I may just wing it.....most often I'll start with an established recipe, but make changes as I go along so the finished product is nothing like the recipe that started it..........and yeah, I can never recreate the same thing two times in a row. So at our house, it's always a surprise.

We have certain recipes we follow religiously and others we've "modified".

Forum List

Back