Reagan: Killer, Coward, Con-man

u2scram

Oct 26, 2010
Greg Palast

"In 1987, I found myself stuck in a crappy little town in Nicaragua named Chaguitillo. The people were kind enough, though hungry, except for one surly young man. His wife had just died of tuberculosis.

People don't die of TB if they get some antibiotics. But Ronald Reagan, big-hearted guy that he was, had put a lock-down embargo on medicine to Nicaragua because he didn't like the government that the people there had elected.

Ronnie grinned and cracked jokes while the young woman's lungs filled up and she stopped breathing. Reagan flashed that B-movie grin while they buried the mother of three."

"In 1987, I found myself stuck in a crappy little town in Nicaragua named Chaguitillo. The people were kind enough, though hungry, except for one surly young man. His wife had just died of tuberculosis.

People don't die of TB if they get some antibiotics. But Ronald Reagan, big-hearted guy that he was, had put a lock-down embargo on medicine to Nicaragua because he didn't like the government that the people there had elected.

Ronnie grinned and cracked jokes while the young woman's lungs filled up and she stopped breathing. Reagan flashed that B-movie grin while they buried the mother of three."
So if I come up with an unsubstantiated, anecdotal attack on Obama blaming him for any of his policies that presumably cause an unintended death, will you concede he is a "Killer, Coward, Con-Man" as well? Or is that honor only bestowed on people you don't agree with politically?

So if I come up with an unsubstantiated, anecdotal attack on Obama blaming him for any of his policies that presumably cause an unintended death, will you concede he is a "Killer, Coward, Con-Man" as well? Or is that honor only bestowed on people you don't agree with politically?

Are you saying that Reagan didn't make a deal with Iranian hostage takers to hold the hostages till after the election for weapons and airplane parts?

Are you saying that Reagan then didn't use the funds from those deals to secretly fund the Contras, explicitly violating an act of Congress?

Not sure..just want to be clear here.

Are you saying that Reagan didn't make a deal with Iranian hostage takers to hold the hostages till after the election for weapons and airplane parts?

Are you saying that Reagan then didn't use the funds from those deals to secretly fund the Contras, explicitly violating an act of Congress?

I thought my point was pretty clear, and it didn't address your question in any way. What's even odder about your question is that the post referred to the embargo, it doesn't even talk about the Contras or providing them with arms, it refers to a medical embargo. So you're asking me...

When you question an anecdotal ad hominem attack by a liberal on their political foe about a medical embargo, are you denying there was an arms deal? That would be a complete non-sequitur.

Question, so if someone not worth $7.25 an hour can't get a job they could have gotten before the minimum wage went up, is Obama a Coward and a Con Man? I dropped Killer since they didn't die. You first since my question is related to the point I made and yours wasn't.

I thought my point was pretty clear, and it didn't address your question in any way. What's even odder about your question is that the post referred to the embargo, it doesn't even talk about the Contras or providing them with arms, it refers to a medical embargo. So you're asking me...

When you question an anecdotal ad hominem attack by a liberal on their political foe about a medical embargo, are you denying there was an arms deal? That would be a complete non-sequitur.

Question, so if someone not worth $7.25 an hour can't get a job they could have gotten before the minimum wage went up, is Obama a Coward and a Con Man? I dropped Killer since they didn't die. You first since my question is related to the point I made and yours wasn't.

Since there are a wealth of exemptions from minimum..absolutely not.

The following are examples of employees exempt from both the minimum wage and overtime pay requirements:

Executive, administrative, and professional employees (including teachers and academic administrative personnel in elementary and secondary schools), outside sales employees, and certain skilled computer professionals (as defined in the Department of Labor's regulations) 1
Employees of certain seasonal amusement or recreational establishments
Employees of certain small newspapers and switchboard operators of small telephone companies
Seamen employed on foreign vessels
Employees engaged in fishing operations
Employees engaged in newspaper delivery
Farm workers employed on small farms (i.e., those that used less than 500 "man‑days" of farm labor in any calendar quarter of the preceding calendar year)
Casual babysitters and persons employed as companions to the elderly or infirm
The following are examples of employees exempt from the overtime pay requirements only:

Certain commissioned employees of retail or service establishments
Auto, truck, trailer, farm implement, boat, or aircraft salespersons employed by non‑manufacturing establishments primarily engaged in selling these items to ultimate purchasers
Auto, truck, or farm implement parts‑clerks and mechanics employed by non-manufacturing establishments primarily engaged in selling these items to ultimate purchasers
Railroad and air carrier employees, taxi drivers, certain employees of motor carriers, seamen on American vessels, and local delivery employees paid on approved trip rate plans
Announcers, news editors, and chief engineers of certain non‑metropolitan broadcasting stations
Domestic service workers who reside in their employers' residences
Employees of motion picture theaters
Farmworkers
Certain employees may be partially exempt from the overtime pay requirements. These include:

Employees engaged in certain operations on agricultural commodities and employees of certain bulk petroleum distributors
Employees of hospitals and residential care establishments that have agreements with the employees that they will work 14‑day periods in lieu of 7‑day workweeks (if the employees are paid overtime premium pay within the requirements of the Act for all hours worked over eight in a day or 80 in the 14‑day work period, whichever is the greater number of overtime hours)
Employees who lack a high school diploma, or who have not completed the eighth grade, who spend part of their workweeks in remedial reading or training in other basic skills that are not job specific. Employers may require such employees to engage in these activities up to 10 hours in a workweek. Employers must pay normal wages for the hours spent in such training but need not pay overtime premium pay for training hours

Employment Law Guide - Minimum Wage and Overtime Pay

And where I live..there are no shortage of businesses offering minimum wage employment.

So shoot.

My questions are pretty binary.

You almost gotta admire lefties for the way they keep their anger at a peak for decades. You have to have a tenuous grip on reality to operate on an emotional level like that. An anecdotal account of a visit to Central America in the 80's is hardly justification for calling President Reagan a killer. Left Wing democrat senator Boland inserted a amendment into a Military appropriations bill that prevented the US from helping the poor people in Nicaragua overcome communist infiltration. Anybody who calls a brave man who once saved 77 lives as a lifeguard, a coward needs their head examined.

You almost gotta admire lefties for the way they keep their anger at a peak for decades. You have to have a tenuous grip on reality to operate on an emotional level like that. An anecdotal account of a visit to Central America in the 80's is hardly justification for calling President Reagan a killer. Left Wing democrat senator Boland inserted a amendment into a Military appropriations bill that prevented the US from helping the poor people in Nicaragua overcome communist infiltration. Anybody who calls a brave man who once saved 77 lives as a lifeguard, a coward needs their head examined.

The right wing didn't have a problem calling Kerry a coward..now did it.

Personally..I don't think Reagan was a coward. In fact..he handled the assassination attempt in a very brave and admirable fashion.

However..dealing with an enemy while not having an mandate to do so and circumventing the Constitution to support pet causes..is despicable.

And where I live..there are no shortage of businesses offering minimum wage employment.

So shoot.

Sure, there aren't a shortage of businesses offering minimum wage employment, that's not the point. There are no shortage of businesses offering $100K jobs either. That's not the point. The point is regarding those not worth minimum wage. I own three businesses in the Triangle of North Carolina. Not a low wage area. Two of them hire minimum wage workers. We are inundated with applications and we let many go who aren't worth it. We'd gladly pay minimum wage and up if we could find enough people who are worth it, but so many aren't and we're not going to pay that for people who are unreliable.

You haven't answered the question, you evaded it. And that is the big lie of the minimum wage. It's not a tide, it's a hurdle. No business pays someone wages they aren't worth. The minimum wage says if you are not worth $7.25 an hour, you are prohibited from working. And lots of people were in fact laid off when it went up. So, is Obama a Criminal and a Con-Man? I can give you the names of people who don't work for me because I can find people who are worth $7.25 an hour and I'm not paying someone that who isn't worth $7.25 an hour.

Personally..I don't think Reagan was a coward. In fact..he handled the assassination attempt in a very brave and admirable fashion.

However..dealing with an enemy while not having an mandate to do so and circumventing the Constitution to support pet causes..is despicable.

It's a completely different context fuzz face but let me enlighten you. When you recommend yourself for a medal and then use the medal in a political campaign what do you think will happen? Right furry cheeks, the details of the self-award will be a legitimate subject for discussion and disagreement. Comparing a three month stint in VietNam to eight years as president is rather desperate argument.

Greg Palast

Reagan helped prevent Nicaragua from turning into a Communist dictatorship. There's no telling how many tens of thousands of lives and untold human misery that saved.

So shoot.

Sure, there aren't a shortage of businesses offering minimum wage employment, that's not the point. There are no shortage of businesses offering $100K jobs either. That's not the point. The point is regarding those not worth minimum wage. I own three businesses in the Triangle of North Carolina. Not a low wage area. Two of them hire minimum wage workers. We are inundated with applications and we let many go who aren't worth it. We'd gladly pay minimum wage and up if we could find enough people who are worth it, but so many aren't and we're not going to pay that for people who are unreliable.

You haven't answered the question, you evaded it. And that is the big lie of the minimum wage. It's not a tide, it's a hurdle. No business pays someone wages they aren't worth. The minimum wage says if you are not worth $7.25 an hour, you are prohibited from working. And lots of people were in fact laid off when it went up. So, is Obama a Criminal and a Con-Man? I can give you the names of people who don't work for me because I can find people who are worth $7.25 an hour and I'm not paying someone that who isn't worth $7.25 an hour.

I didn't "evade" it in the slightest. The answer was spot on and included a link. Your silly and ridiculous ruminations are just that. No citizen is "prohibited" from working a minimum wage job. And there are tons of them.

Although the question I posed is pretty simple to answer..it's hard for a right winger to answer, honestly. Don't worry..I get that.

It's a completely different context fuzz face but let me enlighten you. When you recommend yourself for a medal and then use the medal in a political campaign what do you think will happen? Right furry cheeks, the details of the self-award will be a legitimate subject for discussion and disagreement. Comparing a three month stint in VietNam to eight years as president is rather desperate argument.

It was a load of Bullshit. And Kerry was in Vietnam a bit longer then three months. Every single thing the Swifties put out there was a complete lie. And the right wing piled in.

Sweet.

Greg Palast

Reagan helped prevent Nicaragua from turning into a Communist dictatorship. There's no telling how many tens of thousands of lives and untold human misery that saved.
:lol:

The contras kidnapped, raped and murdered nuns.

Reagan supported that.

Greg Palast

Reagan supported that.

Reagan did support the Contras who did kill civilians for no reason other than put fear into them. The Contras also had many Human Rights violations via Catholic Institute for International Relations and Human Rights Watch. Yet that didn't stop the Reagan Administration funding the Contras despite Congress shutting off the funding.
The "evil" Sandinista government who threw out a dictator won a democratic election in 1984 and the election was declared clean by international election observers. In other words the US was trying to overthrow a democratically elected government.

The "communist infiltration' you are crying about was elected to office in an election that was overseen by international election observers and declared "clean".. The Boland Amendment actually cut off funding of the Contras who were trying to overthrow the elected government. Of course the Contra's notorious multiple killings of men, women and children and multiple human rights violations didn't help.
Whitehall, you need to deal with facts instead of the overblown myth of Ronald Reagan.
Oh and I have saved two people from drowning and I have never been a lifeguard, I just have been at the right place at the right time..

Greg Palast

Please bone up on your history before posting - otherwise you look silly....

Reagan supported that.

Reagan did support the Contras who did kill civilians for no reason other than put fear into them. The Contras also had many Human Rights violations via Catholic Institute for International Relations and Human Rights Watch. Yet that didn't stop the Reagan Administration funding the Contras despite Congress shutting off the funding.
The "evil" Sandinista government who threw out a dictator won a democratic election in 1984 and the election was declared clean by international election observers. In other words the US was trying to overthrow a democratically elected government.

Let's not forget Chile and Allende either...

Forum List

Back