Racism Or Human Preference?

Racism Or Human Preference?

• Racism

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Human Preference

Votes: 11 78.6%

• Total voters
The closer related couples are CULTURALLY, the better chance they have to succeed.

Really? The divorce rate seems to suggest it's tough to stick with anyone regardless of any factors you can think of.

Comparisons across marriage cohorts revealed that, overall, interracial couples have higher rates of divorce

[]But Will It Last?[]: Marital Instability Among Interracial and Same-Race Couples* - Bratter - 2008 - Family Relations - Wiley Online Library

There are lots of such 'studies,' but they cannot control for all factors, do not even suggest a vast distinction in any case, and are based on a poorly defined premise to say the least.

What we do know is that lots and lots of people get divorced regardless of whether they come from different ends of the earth, opposite sides of the tracks, or were high school sweethearts. Legal rights and economic automony for women are the biggest real factors you can point to, and I don't think we want to roll back the clock on those.

There are lots of such 'studies,' but they cannot control for all factors, do not even suggest a vast distinction in any case, and are based on a poorly defined premise to say the least.

:eusa_eh:

You must be right, and all the studies must be wrong?

However, a growing literature describing the challenges faced by interracial couples (e.g., Chito Childs, 2005; Dalmage, 2000; Killian, 2003; Lewis & Yancey, 1995; Root, 2001) suggests that crossing racial lines still violates enduring norms of who should and should not marry whom (Killian). Demographic evidence further supports this hypothesis.

For example, Bramlett and Mosher (2002) found that 41% of interracial couples divorced by the 10th year of marriage compared to only 31% of same-race couples. Their findings imply that, although entering an interracial marriage tends to carry less social stigma, these relationships are less likely to remain intact.

Last edited:
The studies indicate that "in the now" than inter-racial marriages are not as stable in intra-racial marriages, but the difference is not critical, not anywhere near critical.

The challenges are coming from the intra-race pressures, not from any intrinsic challenges within the marriage because of race. No data at all exists to contradict the premise.

The closer related couples are CULTURALLY, the better chance they have to succeed.

Really? The divorce rate seems to suggest it's tough to stick with anyone regardless of any factors you can think of.

The divorce rates are through the roof for everyone these days regardless of race.

There's about a 10% greater chance of an inter-racial couple getting divorced than same race couples.

You must be right, and all the studies must be wrong?]

Try reading what I wrote. And get a haircut.

You're entitled to an opinion, but if you want to gain any credability then you'd support opinion with something a little more substantial than suggesting "reading what [you] wrote."

The divorce rates are through the roof for everyone these days regardless of race.

There's about a 10% greater chance of an inter-racial couple getting divorced than same race couples.

Because...?

And "inter-racial" is unquestionably defined as...?

You cannot control for all factors or even clearly define the terms involved, therefore such conclusions are meaningless. This is starting to smell like 'stormfront' statistics.

You must be right, and all the studies must be wrong?]

You're entitled to an opinion, but if you want to gain any credability then you'd support opinion with something a little more substantial than suggesting "reading what [you] wrote."

If YOU had started by actually reading what I wrote I wouldn't have needed to so direct you.

Because...? And "inter-racial" is unquestionably defined as...? You cannot control for all factors or even clearly define the terms involved, therefore such conclusions are meaningless. This is starting to smell like 'stormfront' statistics.

On this I happen to agree with you. Interracial couples divorce about 10 points higher than do same race couples. Nothing indicates that % difference is racial at all inside the marriage, that is probably from pressure outside the marriage.

If you consider my comments as "stormfront", you are as unstable as I have been suggesting that you are. You are in the same emotional storm boat with JRK, just for different reasons.

If YOU had started by actually reading what I wrote I wouldn't have needed to so direct you.

Still nothing to back up opinion.....

:eusa_hand:

is there any reason not to ignore you?

Because...?

And "inter-racial" is unquestionably defined as...?

You cannot control for all factors or even clearly define the terms involved, therefore such conclusions are meaningless. This is starting to smell like 'stormfront' statistics.

You seem to have missed the link to the study(s), but then again, you also don't seem capable of doing much beyond rambling opinion and baseless accusation:

[]But Will It Last?[]: Marital Instability Among Interracial and Same-Race Couples* - Bratter - 2008 - Family Relations - Wiley Online Library

The literature on interracial families has examined social stigmas attached to interracial relationships but
has not thoroughly documented whether crossing racial boundaries increases the risk of divorce. Using the 2002
National Survey of Family Growth (Cycle VI), we compare the likelihood of divorce for interracial couples to that
of same-race couples. Comparisons across marriage cohorts reveal that, overall, interracial couples have higher rates
of divorce, particularly for those marrying during the late-1980s. We also find race and gender variation. Compared
to White/White couples, White female/Black male, and White female/Asian male marriages were more prone to
divorce; meanwhile, those involving non-White females and White males and Hispanics and non-Hispanic persons
had similar or lower risks of divorce.

Still nothing to back up opinion.....

:eusa_hand:

is there any reason not to ignore you?

You still haven't read what I wrote...

Or you are too stupid to understand it?

Because...? And "inter-racial" is unquestionably defined as...? You cannot control for all factors or even clearly define the terms involved, therefore such conclusions are meaningless. This is starting to smell like 'stormfront' statistics.

On this I happen to agree with you. Interracial couples divorce about 10 points higher than do same race couples. Nothing indicates that % difference is racial at all inside the marriage, that is probably from pressure outside the marriage.

If you consider my comments as "stormfront", you are as unstable as I have been suggesting that you are. You are in the same emotional storm boat with JRK, just for different reasons.

Go ask an adult to explain to you what those 'quotes' you just cited mean.

As far as the reason for the 10% differential: You are correct in that there is no evidence that it is attributable to internal or external factors. Ali seemed to believe it was BOTH: That culturally, "birds of a feather" would fly together. He also commented that he couldn't imagine any woman of another race being worth the hassel of having to contend with the external societial pressures such a union would face.

Within that questionable 10%:

How old were each of the partners in the marriage?

How old were they when they got married?

How old were they when they got divorced?

Had one or both been married before?

Did they have children?

Did they want children?

What was the view of their extended families about the marriage?

What was the educational level of each?

What was the economic level of each prior to marriage?

What religion, if any, did each follow?

Did one or both come from a family with a history of divorce?

Where did they live?

What did each do for work?

What were the personality profiles for each?

What were the health conditions for each?

What were the political views of each?

What were the short and long term goals of each?

You could go on and on forever. The fact is that you cannot control for all variables such that you can explain that mere 10% difference in any meaningful way.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back